Strange G. rosea

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok to start off with, i have checked humidity and everything is perfectly fine...just the way she likes it...anyway, I put her in her new cage last night, and she keeps climbing the walls....and sitting on the top of the aquarium...err it's more like hanging from it, but anyway...she has always been a strange one. Does anyone have any ideas what i can do to make her more at home....she has never done this, and i have a burow already for her....

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine did that alot the first couple of days I had her til she got settled . Id say just give her time and it will make its self at home. Im not a expert or nothing but thats what I would do.

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i uderstand that, but she has never done it before....she has always taken to her environment well, but not this time..

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
when I first got my G.rosea I sprayed down the substrate to help with humidity and he would NOT touch ground after that...either on his log(barely ever either) and mostly hanging or one foot on the ground and ther rest on the glass...after the substrate dried out he got down and was about having fun, about 3 days, since them I only spray one side and not so much....

maybe its just a LITTLE too moist for him...

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my bf's rosie threw a similar t tantrum when he changed her substrate from calcisand to peat/vermiculite. he changed her back, and ended a 3 week sulkfest. she has a good sized water dish with a regularly cleaned sea sponge inside, but i don't think he has ever misted her. also, he keeps a light on to keep her warm in his tundra of an apartment. she prefers this too. somewhat of a diva, i guess?

Kristin;)

TheSpiderHouse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
pixi, I think I'd just chalk this one up to roseys are friggin wierd. Mine was a goof ball. It exhibited all kinds of weird behavior, sometimes just for short periods of time. Sometimes it also stayed on the glass for days, and the substrate was also pretty much bone dry. It webbed itself into its corkbark retreat for about 3 weeks, and never molted.. just came out one day and acted like nothing happened. They are pretty much the window lickers of the T world I think. Nothing to worry about, as long as there isn't a long drop or anything sharp/hard for it to fall on.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
It seems that all three of my rosies like to have "pet rocks". A nice, flat, DRY rock in their tank to hang out on. They HATE to get their delicate little feet wet. At least that's my three. We're learning here that there IS NO standard for g. roseas! Good luck and give her time. She'll settle in!:D

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey there!

a couple of my Ts do this when i put a new substrate mix in there..

my roseas do it if its pretty damp in there (water dish spillover/etc...)...

if its a problem, try changing the substrate.. the T may not like that?

otherwise, could just be those crazy roseas :)

Also, sometimes,no matter what you do or where you put stuff, the T will move crap around and dig or climb or web where it wants to =D

good luck!
peace
dave

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Rosie is a major wall climber ... I think she does it for attention. When I open he lid she comes to the top , I think she just wants to see the lid open so she can snoop around. I have no clue other than that Good Luck !

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Delonigan
pixi, I think I'd just chalk this one up to roseys are friggin wierd. Mine was a goof ball. It exhibited all kinds of weird behavior, sometimes just for short periods of time. Sometimes it also stayed on the glass for days, and the substrate was also pretty much bone dry. It webbed itself into its corkbark retreat for about 3 weeks, and never molted.. just came out one day and acted like nothing happened. They are pretty much the window lickers of the T world I think. Nothing to worry about, as long as there isn't a long drop or anything sharp/hard for it to fall on.
Well then maybe I'll put one of those small school bus retreats for hampsters in my G. rosea's enclosure. Maybe that will make it feel at home.=D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I think perhaps a little straitjacket would be more apropriate... the rosies are turning out to be freakier the more we learn about them. Or maybe they are the "Gallaghers" of the T world!

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Kristin Cullen
my bf's rosie threw a similar t tantrum when he changed her substrate from calcisand to peat/vermiculite. he changed her back, and ended a 3 week sulkfest. she has a good sized water dish with a regularly cleaned sea sponge inside, but i don't think he has ever misted her. also, he keeps a light on to keep her warm in his tundra of an apartment. she prefers this too. somewhat of a diva, i guess?

Kristin;)
I don't know if this has been corrected but I say it anyway.
You say he changed her back to sand(ALl sand is bad, I don't care what you call it)If you don't know why sand is bad, then perhaps I ought to tell you. Sand is bad because........It is sharp, scratchy brocken rock. Sand has been known to split abdomens and cut tarantulas. If Someone is self-mutilating and gets angry when you take away his knife, Do you give it back? No sponges. Do you drink from a sponge?Not to mention the bacteria and other way of spreading infection. The light should be ceramic or red as to not bother the spider and humidity should be taken care of not just by a water dish. Also, not moving dosen't mean sulkfest, The name pet Rock has been mentioned.

I don't know how you keep your spiders but your boy friend should know better.