PDA

View Full Version : Blondi kills mouse, but doesn't eat it (video inside)

illiniknick
08-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Aright so I gave my blondi a mouse the other day. She gladly attacked it and killed it, but I come into her room a couple hours later only to find it just laying on the ground, and her on the other side of the cage.

She hasn't eaten in awhile, so I figure it isn't because she's not hungry. She did molt maybe 3-4 weeks ago, but she's had crickets since then.

I just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on this odd situation, and why you think the mouse was killed but not eaten. Thanks!

Oh and here's the video of the kill....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXVzn8cRTm0

Mushroom Spore
08-10-2007, 02:34 PM
She may just not like mice, or perhaps attacked it as a defensive measure instead of a predatory one. If you hadn't said she just molted, I'd have guessed pre-molt, although I've seen my rosehair kill crickets when it wasn't hungry just to get them to stop pestering it. (I usually try to remove the damn things, but sometimes you get a clever one and I'm not very good with grabbing 'em. :wall: )

Jeff_C
08-10-2007, 02:36 PM
First of all, to stay on topic...Your T probably ate what it needed and wasn't as hungry as you thought.

<I modded myself for off topic crap>
Jeff

sick4x4
08-10-2007, 02:40 PM
i don't think it was a defensive strike, only because it didn't posture at all..well that i could see...interesting that didn't eat it????

MEXICOYA415
08-10-2007, 02:41 PM
First of all, to stay on topic...Your T probably ate what it needed and wasn't as hungry as you thought.

Secondly, feeding vertebrates to invertebrates has been linked to loss of fangs after molting so I would suggest you are not helping your T by feeding it a mouse and are most likely hurting it (not to mention the possible loss of a T if the mouse should strike first).

Finally, was the video necessary? Haven't we all seen that already?

Jeff

Wouldn't that be sort of like saying, " Well we have already seen countless blondi pics do we really need to see another one."

Arachnoboards
08-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Let me repeat the on topic question for all to focus on:

I just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on this odd situation, and why you think the mouse was killed but not eaten. Thanks!

We all know that some of you find it cruel and offensive while others don't. No need to rehash that topic again. Now either reply, in kind, in reference to the question at hand or do NOT reply in here at all. (NOT a request) :rolleyes:

Debby

cacoseraph
08-10-2007, 02:56 PM

Secondly, feeding vertebrates to invertebrates has been linked to loss of fangs after molting so I would suggest you are not helping your T by feeding it a mouse and are most likely hurting it (not to mention the possible loss of a T if the mouse should strike first).

Finally, was the video necessary? Haven't we all seen that already?

Jeff

whoa whoa whoa! unless "has been linked" means there could be a chance, but it hasn't been scientifically substantiated at all and has as many contrary anecdotes as not then i don't think that is a very good statement AT ALL. it is a theory, and not even a particularily good one at this point

"Haven't we all seen that already?"
and we have all seen about a million pics of G. rosea... but they keep on a postin' them to little to no castigation... don't you think that is not really *quite* what you meant?

i can't see the vid, but i might matter how much of a surprise the mouse was to the tarantula. if you just dropped it right next to the tara it might strike as a sort of like, er conditioned reflex depending on how you feed it normally

Feathers
08-10-2007, 05:42 PM
As resistance is futile, I'll keep strictly to the question. It's apparent your T can care less about a meal. Have you fed it mice before, or is this a first attempt? The mouse was dropped several inches into the immediate space of the T, and it ain't no cricket (couldn't resist the double negative) - Perhaps it took it as a real threat and chose fight instead of flight (I'm sure it knows it's not going anywhere far). Seems like a pretty normal reaction. Sorry for your jollys though. (Is that OK, Debby?)

Daniel_h
08-10-2007, 05:59 PM
when i give dead ones to my parahybana she strikes as they hit the floor next to her then waits for a few minutes then picks them up and takes them in her burrow....

but you said you came back a few hours later so maybe it had finished.

P.S nice blondi :D

illiniknick
08-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Haha obviously I don't care if any of you babies think feeding a mouse to a tarantula is bad for it, inhumane bla bla bla because if you have the largest species in the world, have some fun with it. And i've fed her many mice before. And I checked her fangs and they're still there.

PEOPLE FEED MICE TO SPIDERS EVERY DAY. Get over it. Someone's probly doing it as I type this and as you read this in disgust.

Ok I'm done being offensive. Thanks for everyone's input, and from what ya'll are saying, it seems like she just didn't feel like eating.

p.s. Next I'm gonna feed her a lizard or something to really piss everyone off :wicked:

P. Novak
08-10-2007, 07:20 PM
From that video we really can't tell if it ate it or not, but you're there so you'd know, maybe it just ate its full or something? Do you know when its last molt was?

illiniknick
08-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Its last molt was maybe 3-4 weeks ago, and she's had crickets since that molt. I didn't expect you to be able to tell me the problem by looking at the video haha. I just included it because I thought I'd share the video of this particular "feeding-in-question," because I already had it on youtube.

sick4x4
08-10-2007, 07:45 PM
i'd like it if you could have a little more light... since it really seems dark??maybe its my link......

dragonblade71
08-10-2007, 10:23 PM
This may sound like a silly question at first but are you really certain that the spider has not consumed the mouse? Obviously, tarantulas, just like any other spider, do not really 'eat' their prey as such. They dissolve the insides and suck it up as a liquid. When I see the aftermath of flies being preyed upon by true spiders, the fly bodies do look a bit beaten up but still pretty much physically intact. Then again, it can be a bit tricky to tell because the bodies are wrapped up in web. I just assume that the insides are what is missing. However, at the end of a Youtube video of a tarantula preying on a frog, the frog did look significantly different after consumption by the spider. It appeared flat and 'deflated.' Though I assumed that frogs were the exception here regarding the appearance of spider prey after a kill since amphibians seem quite fragile.

Mina
08-11-2007, 02:17 PM
I would guess that either your blondi wasn't hungry or when the mouse came near it the T thought it was in danger so killed the mouse and didn't recognize it as food afterward. That is just a guess.
The only other thing I could say that might help is that our blondi doesn't always eat right away when we feed him, sometimes he waits for a couple of days. Maybe yours was planning on eating the mouse, just not right away.

lunixweb
08-11-2007, 03:17 PM
I would guess that either your blondi wasn't hungry or when the mouse came near it the T thought it was in danger so killed the mouse and didn't recognize it as food afterward. That is just a guess.
The only other thing I could say that might help is that our blondi doesn't always eat right away when we feed him, sometimes he waits for a couple of days. Maybe yours was planning on eating the mouse, just not right away.

yep, I guess the same.. :o

Feathers
08-11-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm out of this one - your "baby" slur is exactly what the moderator was warning about...

Mushroom Spore
08-11-2007, 07:08 PM
So I'm a baby, am I? Right about now, I'd like to be in a room alone with you...

Oh come on, guys. The internet tough guy routine wasn't cool the first time, and it isn't cool the second time either.

Cheshire
08-11-2007, 10:39 PM
All this boils down to is a simple 'Why isn't my Tarantula eating' thread.

A quick search should answer almost any question about spiders who don't eat. Just use the term I underlined and you should be set. You can substitute the letter T or spider for tarantula and you may get different results, but I think the first search should answer your questions.

1.) Your spider has had it's fill because you obviously feel the driving need to drop just about anything that crawls into it's enclosure.
2.) Possibly premoult

Spiders are kind of programmed to see mice as a threat because mice can go down to a tarantula's burrow to engage it on it's turf so it's most likely a preprogrammed defensive reaction.

In fact pound for pound, mice are said to be far more sensitive to tarantula venom than humans.

it is a theory, and not even a particularily good one at this point

Technically, that would make it an unsubstantiated hypothesis and not a theory because theories link facts together and explain the relationships between various facts. As you pointed out, this has neither been properly tested so it doesn't even rise to the level of fact (and thus not to the level of theory).

I *may* be able to test this out in the next few years, it's one of my goals. Maybe not, though. My experimental group would be like 30 or so of the same species, so it won't really be an ideal experimental group.

When (and if, but right now it's looking more like when) I'm in the position to do so, I'll send you a PM.

I'm out of this one - your "baby" slur is exactly what the moderator was warning about...

Actually, what I find interesting (unless I missed any edit tags, which I don't think I did) is that none of the posters previous to the question really vehemently went into the ethics (only the science) of vertebrate feeding and still the OP saw it fit to not only degrade the people posting in this thread, but announce that he flat out did not care about his animals.

All it takes is a quick browse of the vertebrate feeding threads to see what road this will eventually go down.

Either way, you're quite right in pointing out the post was completely out of line and it's now been reported.

Merfolk
08-12-2007, 01:27 AM
p.s. Next I'm gonna feed her a lizard or something to really piss everyone off :wicked:

Actualy a better meal over mice anytime!!! It takes a lot of space in a T'S belly!

The question is not vert over invert, it's rather warm blooded vs cold blooded. T's are fare less adapted to warm blooded meat. They still digest it, it's just slower and they are bloated for a while.

(From personnal experiment among others)

But it ain't that bad for the T (unless a rodent realy can fight) but yours might opt for eating later, simply!

And for those who debate about cruelty for the mice, well, rodents are kind of the universal snack bar for small predators, some of which not knowing much about humane treatment of livestock. Seems that getting eaten by a T is not better or worse than any other way mice end their lives.

Arachnoboards
08-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Haha obviously I don't care if any of you babies think feeding a mouse to a tarantula is bad for it, inhumane bla bla bla because if you have the largest species in the world, have some fun with it. And i've fed her many mice before. And I checked her fangs and they're still there.

PEOPLE FEED MICE TO SPIDERS EVERY DAY. Get over it. Someone's probly doing it as I type this and as you read this in disgust.

Ok I'm done being offensive. Thanks for everyone's input, and from what ya'll are saying, it seems like she just didn't feel like eating.

And here I thought you were serious and looking for information and help. I was trying to help keep your thread limited to the question at hand. I don't care about your video one way or another. It does not affect me in the least. But to come back and post against those who are trying to actually help you? :? :wall:

Here's a little warning for you. If you post anything on our site to "really piss everyone off", I will personally ban you for being a troll. Simple as that.

Don't test me, you'll lose. :shame:

LAST WARNING before the thread gets locked ...

Debby

illiniknick
08-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Haha thanks to merfolk for being one of the few positive posters in this thread.

I'm not the one who took this thread downhill. I posted my question, and I came back and people were talking about other bs, including criticizing my pet's diet instead of being nice about it and suggesting a change.

And cheshire, I don't think anyone likes to read your long, condescending posts. And to say that I "announced" that I do not care about my animal is, well, factually incorrect for one thing. And offensive as well. So, maybe YOU'RE the one being inappropriately degrading. hmm....

And Arachnoadministrator, I actually was looking for help, and in my angry post, I did take time to thank the people who did give their helpful input. So maybe you should read the posts of the people you're banning. And defending myself from these attacks shouldn't make me the bad guy.

Feathers
08-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Haha thanks to merfolk for being one of the few positive posters in this thread.

I'm not the one who took this thread downhill. I posted my question, and I came back and people were talking about other bs, including criticizing my pet's diet instead of being nice about it and suggesting a change.

And cheshire, I don't think anyone likes to read your long, condescending posts. And to say that I "announced" that I do not care about my animal is, well, factually incorrect for one thing. And offensive as well. So, maybe YOU'RE the one being inappropriately degrading. hmm....

And Arachnoadministrator, I actually was looking for help, and in my angry post, I did take time to thank the people who did give their helpful input. So maybe you should read the posts of the people you're banning. And defending myself from these attacks shouldn't make me the bad guy.

You were NOT attacked and yes, you were the one to take this thread downhill. I even answered you thread dealing with the matter at hand, putting aside my personal feelings. How can you even attempt to condone your comments? I for one also appreciate cheshire's comments, as they're based on years of experience as well as intelligence. And just a word of advise - it's none too smart calling out an administrator.

Kugellager
08-12-2007, 08:55 PM
And yet another inflammitory thread comes to a close. Don't revisit this topic again or it will be deleted.

Thanks,
John
Arachnoboards
];')