PDA

View Full Version : About molting

christin
08-18-2007, 05:06 AM
I'v read that you shouldn't feed a tarantula for a few days after a molt. To wait until the fangs harden and are black again. This makes sense, but I was wondering if anyone has ever had a damaged tarantula from feeding it to soon?

I had a few T's years ago, and wasn't aware of this, and I never had a problem. I mean, don't you think the T will know when to eat again? It would be necissary for survival in the wild, and these animals have certainly stood the test of time--being more primitive than some other arachnids.

I don't throw food until a few days after a molt, just to be safe and because I think of crickets bouncing around are probibly annoying.

xjak3yx
08-18-2007, 05:54 AM
im only a novice but the T usually doesnt accept the food if its fangs arent hardened. i have been told not to throw food in until a week after but if the T is accepting it why not

P. Novak
08-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Yea a T with soft fangs will definately not try to eat the cricket, but thats not what worries me; it's the fact that since the T cannot eat or fight back the cricket can do what it wants with it. Eat it or damage it.

Rain_Flower
08-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Yeah, my T just molted not too long ago, and I didn't feed her for a week after just to be safe. Never had a T eat before her fangs where ready, because well, they know, and they just won' eat until their fangs are hardened again.

leo3375
08-18-2007, 11:40 AM
I always wait a week before feeding a freshly molted T. My G. rosea molted last week and I didn't feed her until this week.