Housing Help...

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello all

i just finagled a $10 7" S.subs from a local entomologist. He's leaving to do some wild pede collecting and go to the ATS conf and , and i forgot to ask this question:

can i keep them in those critter keepers, or is there something else i should buy? I'm always hearing about how they're amazing escape artists...

I'll take some pics when i get back tonite.
I'm pretty stoked for my first pede.

thanks!
peace
dave

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think some people do, but I personally would not feel comfortable with that. They are imensely talented at squeezing through narrow openings, AND they are able to use their long bodies to push lids off.

I use polycarbonate food service containers with tight-fitting lids for large pedes.

Wade

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use two types:
A glass 5 1/2 gallon with sliding screen top from Petco for a display type setup. (kind of expensive, and requires more misting)
Or
A semi clear plastic tub from say Walmart and drill a few SMALL holes in the top. This is far cheaper but you need to remove the top to observe what going on inside. At least mine are not to clear.
I think it really depends on how much time you want to spend checking it out. It might be hiding most of the daylight hours anyway!!!

Bob

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A semi clear plastic tub from say Walmart and drill a few SMALL holes in the top. This is far cheaper but you need to remove the top to observe what going on inside. At least mine are not to clear.
something else you can do to make the containers more secure is drill a hole through the lid where the lid and the lip of the container touch. (also drill a hole through the lip. then put a bolt through the hole. and attach a wingnut to the bolt. do this on moth sides of the container. the lid will be escape proof. it works great for snakes too.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nice ideas!

looks like i'll be swinging by home depot or walmart on the way home with the new pede...

what if i bolted the flap-lid on a critter keeper?
would that work.

i just dont want to wake up to find an 8 inch black and red pede on my chest ;)

also can i keep the pede on a mixture of peat and eco-earth (with a bit of sphagnum moss mixed in)?

peace
dave

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it think if you had a drill bit that would not crack the critter keeper it would work good. i'm not sure what kind of bit you would use though. that is a really good idea. i might try it.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The thing that would worry me about a KK is the numerous slots in the lids on those things. They look like they may be too narrow for a big pede to slip through but personally I take no chances. If this hobby has taught me to believe in one thing it would be that "chaos theory" definitely applies. I have been surprised in learning good and bad things too many times to count in this hobby. :)

Oh yeah, I use Rubbermaid containers with a nice tight locking lid like this...

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?threadid=2392

They are a bit deeper than they look but still not deep enough that a big pede couldn't dart out fairly easily. They are quite spacious as far as floor space goes and come in a pretty good variety of sizes. When maintenancing/observing etc., I make sure there's lots of floor space (in case one runs for it...which happens) which makes it easier to corral them with a long wire hook and empty container to place over the awol pede. Mostly they just dash underneath their hide when the enclosure is open but yuo still have to stay aware and on your toes (but relaxed) at all times.
I wouldn't recommend these containers to a beginner in light of all this.

Good luck with your new pede RD! :)

Atrax

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey!

Alright, well screw the KK -- I bought the pede from Bill, who's going to be at the ATS conference speaking about something... but he gave me this HUGE rubbermaid container that you can see through damn well!

so no more worries :)

im gonna try to snap some pics now!

thanks for the help so far!
peace
dave