Tanzanian Giant Yellow Leg pedes

BugBoyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello,
I've been seeing this type of pede on a number of dealer list as of late (Swifty even has some CB 1-2in. youngsters). They're a beautiful looking pede, but I'm having some problems getting some info. on them. Does anyone have any experience with them or know anything about them?

Thanx----Roy

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i keep mine on a mixture of peat moss and green moss. the green moss is more for aesthetic purposes. even though they are from a drier part of the world i still keep mine pretty humid. so bascially i just used a generic pede setup. my pede is not as aggressive as some of the other pedes i have seen.(although a couple days ago he did try to climb my foreceps when i was changing his water) it likes to sit out a lot and only hides sometimes.

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine is VERY aggressive and likes to take a taste of my foreceps if disturbed. It eats everything, but only comes out at night. As substrate I use 3" of peatmoss, one guite dry part and one a bit more humid.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I currently have 2, both of which are as aggressive as any Asian pede I keep. I provide them with approx. 2" of 70% sphagnum peat and 30% vermiculite (for better moisture retention). I also provide each with a cork slab to hide under.
One of them is looking pretty gravid lately. I'm not sure but it has been refusing food and getting fatter at the same time. It looks like either babies or a molt are in the near future.

See ya. :)

Atrax

BugBoyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanx a lot everyone......I'm looking for a larger active (doesn't hide all the time like the Haitians and PR Giants) pede and I like the looks of the Tanz. Giant Yellow Legs. (I really would like a S. heros ssp., but I'm getting tired of seeing that empty cage and I haven't been able to find any S. heros ssp.:? ). Even though the cage was set up for S. heros ssp., it sounds like they enjoy the same conditions. Even if they only tend to come out at night...that's fine, most of my other inverts. are very nocturnal. At least I'll be able to see them out cruising around. Question....how big are the ones that you all have? I've heard they can get up to 10in.; is this an acurate estimate or just inflated to make them seem more desirable?

-----Roy

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think it's too far fetched. Mine are both in the 6"-7" range right now. Unless anyone actually has a 10" TYL, only time will tell for certain.

Atrax

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've never seen any arrive larger than 6". I'm guessing it's a slightly smaller species than, say, S. subspinipes.

They do well with a waterdish, but watch out if it goes dry. They also like it warm.

bill