My New Pede (pics too!)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alrighty
so this is the pede i bought from Bill for an insanely low low price. Plus i got a really really tall see-through locking container :)

the guy i bought it off of (Bill) is speaking at the ATS conf this year.. i kinda want to go see him. he's got a cool handlebar moustache.

he got tagged by this guy last year after handling him at ATS... he was in the hospital and said morphine didn't do jack..

so, um, im just gonna not handle the guy.

but thats that!
thanks for the help!
peace
dave

Last edited:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
another shot..

this is a S.sub right? S/he was trying to burrow so i could only snap a real quick shot here..

later
dave

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes i did!

a really cool guy! I can't wait to see what he brings back from the conference for us to look through at our silly little Minnesota/Wisonsin Invertebrate Parties...

i hooked him up with a parahybana sling too.
since i'm getting some adults for real cheap pretty soon.

plus ive been really wanting a nice sized pede for a while and didnt really want to pay 30 or 40 or 55 dollars. $10 is a steal i think (esp. with the cage).

do you know bill?
peace
dave

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know Bill personally (Yet, I'm anxious to meet him in Carlsbad though.) but I know of him for the subspinipes bite he received. That pede you have there is kind of famous! LOL I've heard the story about that pede many times from several ATS members here and on-line. You can read the report here if you're interested...

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=254

I agree that $10.00 is absolutely a steal. And with the container as well? Excellent!

Just wait until feeding time. :eek:

See ya.

Atrax

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i fed it a pinkie and its going easy, but when i put crickets in there, it wouldnt do a damn thing..

bill told me the story of the bite on the phone today... I'm going to pick up 2 other ones off of him for some nice prices too, which is cool -- a great way to get into these guys!

i can't wait till the minnesota bug party to see what goodies he brings back :)

i hear sometimes these guys can be picky eaters. I haven't read that on here, i've actually talked to pede people...

but i do have a S.sub right? I'm like 100% postive, i just need some backup here.

he's a good guy. you'll know him by his moustache.. we're talking like 1940 23-skidoo type curled-up handlebar.

he really knows his stuff!
any other tips or tricks for these guys?

thanks again!
peace
dave

BugBoyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
YOU'RE KIDDING!!!!! You got the pede that bit the guy (Bill) in the bite reports? WOW! That story made me get rid of my S. supiniceps (which I later regreted:( ). That is a rather "infamous" pede you've got their.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats what Bill said.....

it's def between 9 and 10 inches. He said he got this pede from darrin...

He was getting rid of some of his collection and he knew i wanted a pede, so .....

$10 and a huge freaking pede later, here we are ;)

man that thing can double back like nothing... talk about speed.

we exchanged invertebrates in the parking lot of a perkins.. hows that for style :)

peace
dave

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
alright, i just read the bite report -- its the same bugger then ;)

i def. won't be handling this guy.
my gigas? sure.
a poec? alright

this pede? no freaking way do i have em big enough :)
(also i won't go near my roseas...)

no reason to get rid of em if you got your wits (and 2 other important things haha)... calm, slow, and respectful should do the trick..

i think....

well, i'll let you know after a couple months!

peace
dave

BugBoyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave

but i do have a S.sub right? I'm like 100% postive, i just need some backup here.

Yeah, almost looks like the S. subspiniceps ssp. that comes from Hawaii, especially with the pinkish coloured legs. Not sure, but it's most definitely some variety of S. subspiniceps.

any other tips or tricks for these guys?
From the short time I had mine and from what I've heard here from others, these guys definitely like to be humid and warm. Besides that they are pretty much like anyother pede......crazy, aggresssive and wild to have. I LOVE THEM!!=D
Just out of curiosity, what other pedes are you getting from him?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as for other pedes, he said he's got a couple different colour morphs of "chinese earth tigers" and "vietnamese earth tigers" which i think are all bastardizations of the S.subs...

and some other pede which i can't recall now :)

i'll give him a call tomorrow and find out what else he's got.

i think i'm already hooked!

he said he feeds this guy stew meat sometimes. anyone else do that?

i suppose its akin to feeding my blondi beef heart, right?

peace
dave

BugBoyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Considering this guys reputation.....I feed him whatever in the world he wants............and do it with a smile.;P

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL!
I have fed several of my large pedes beef heart with great results. I do make sure to supplement with crix or roaches. Anoles have worked very well for me too.

Atrax

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm thinking beef heart, crickets, roaches, pinkies and not my finger ;)

this guy is so cool!
do you have to worry about molting/prey items left in the tank with pedes like Ts?

peace
dave

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
shouldn't be a prob....

I've never had a pede allow anything to live in it's tank even if it wasn't hungry so I doubt that any have been harmed while molting. Usually they kill and eat everything in site but even if not hungry they will still kill something in their territory rather than leaving it roaming around.

Phil

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haha nice!

I've heard they're ferociously protective...

do you ever find pedes killing prey and not eating it (again, like T's do sometimes?)

I know you can feed a pede until it literally 'explodes'

thanks for the help phillip and everyone

peace
dave

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Billy said that he was riding his harley out to the ATS conference this year again........................
Ed

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
of the ones I've kept...

I have yet to see a pede refuse to eat what it killed. Then again I don't try to feed them twice and 3 times a week like I've seen folks do so perhaps given food more frequently they will do the ol kill it and leave it move. I actually can't say for sure but I can say they are voracious predators and not much that gets dropped in with them lasts any time at all. Pretty much if they are big enough to grab it it's doomed.

Phil

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sounds good then (re: the pede and food)

and yes, i believe he is riding the bike out there, although theres a big ride up here after the conference, so i think he may just wait to ride after the conference..

what a knowledgable guy...
i feel like he's a VERY good resource to have around me!

if you're going to see him at the ATS, you're lucky :)

so pedes are like T's, huh? You can't stop at just one, right?

peace
dave

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nice pede... Not to be the rain on the party, but cigarettes in an invertebrate container are a big no-no. Even a few bits falling into the waterdish or onto moist substrate could have consequences.

As a general note, be sure to wash hands thoroughly after smoking if you intend to do any handling or maintenance of your inverts. :)

bill