King Baboon Trying to Escape?

cweg

Arachnopeon
I have noticed some weird behavior from my KB in the last week.
In the day she stays in her burrow like normal. But recently at night she climbs on the screen lid for her 5 gallon aquarium. She will walk around and pull on the lid, then at random spots she will insert her fangs and pull down hard. I can hear the metal screen stretch from across the room. Temp and Humidity are normal. She has about a 6-7 in legspan. Bigger cage? Trying to escape? Any thoughts?

KingCrawshayi#1

Arachnopeon
Just tryin to chew her way out mine do it fairly often. I have 110 or so.... She is just doing her thing.

i

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
way cool!

Wow,

Mine do walk across the lid from time to time but have never used there fangs to try and pry there way out.

Sounds like it would be kind of cool to see.

But arent you afraid of them hurting themselves doing that on the screen that way?

-Charlie

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My question is can you keep a King Baboon in those snap tight lid Critter Keepers you get at the pet shop without them trying to chew their way through the plastic? I have been considering buying a King Baboon and I just want to know if I should buy it a fish tank and metal lid instead of something made of plastic for fear of it trying to escape.

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If she previously lived in the burrow, she is trying to find a home somewhere else. My T. blondi and L. parahybana do the same thing before they fast for a molt. Only my L. parahybana will use her fangs :?

The reason they do this may be because they were severely disturbed or they're getting ready to molt and need a larger home. As long as she has ample substrate to make it larger I wouldn't worry. She'll eventually move back in and do some excavating :)

Jim B.

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by cweg
I But recently at night she climbs on the screen lid for her 5 gallon aquarium. She will walk around and pull on the lid, then at random spots she will insert her fangs and pull down hard.
You may want to consider replacing the screen lid with a plexiglass one with ventilation holes drilled or melted into it. It's not unusual for a T to get stuck in screen and lose fangs in the process. As for the behavior, my Citharischius are pretty content and stay put in their burrows, but some of my other T's get restless from time to time. As long as everything seems fine otherwise, I try not to obsess about it (I'm a tad obsessive ;)); there may be no way of knowing why they do it.

Steve