Tarantula owners in Alaska

vleavens

Arachnopeon
Is there a way to find out who on this list is from Alaska?? And what Tarantulas they own please

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello ! I live in Anchorage :) . I have 9 T.'s, a B. smithi, A. Gen.,G. Aus., B. Albop.,2 G. Rosea, a B. Emila an OBT and last but not least a Haitian Brown.

tin man

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey, im in Palmer, and I have A. seemani, avic avic, and G. rosea

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not in Alaska but your thread reminded me of this. I thought it was pretty funny.

c-land

Arachnopeon
I'll be moving to just outside Palmer in January, and have about 20 Ts (or other inverts). I hope to be able to ship them up to receive them either in Anchorage or Palmer, and was wondering what sort of experience Alaskan T owners may have had with shipping from the lower 48, especially in the winter. To more specifically address the posted question, if I can bring my little ones up, I will have:
1 Aphonopelma paloma
1 Aphonopelma crinirufum
2 Aphonopelma behlei
2 Aphonopelma "paysoni"
2 Chilobrachys huahini
1 Cyclosternum fasciatum
1 Nhandu chromatus
1 Phormictopus cancerides
1 Selenocosmia dichromata
1 Lasiodora klugii
1 Holothele "Norte de Santander"
1 Poecilotheria rufilata
1 red trapdoor
1 Barychelidae "grey tunneling spider"
1 Linothele "Bolivia"
1 "Trinidad Gold" mygalomorph
1 Mastigoproctus giganteus

Best,
Mike

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll be moving to just outside Palmer in January, and have about 20 Ts (or other inverts). I hope to be able to ship them up to receive them either in Anchorage or Palmer, and was wondering what sort of experience Alaskan T owners may have had with shipping from the lower 48, especially in the winter. To more specifically address the posted question, if I can bring my little ones up, I will have:
1 Aphonopelma paloma
1 Aphonopelma crinirufum
2 Aphonopelma behlei
2 Aphonopelma "paysoni"
2 Chilobrachys huahini
1 Cyclosternum fasciatum
1 Nhandu chromatus
1 Lasiodora klugii
1 Poecilotheria rufilata
1 red trapdoor
1 Linothele "Bolivia"

Best,
Mike
I'm pretty new to this hobby.I have however, ordered T.'s and had them sent next day air a couple of times without any problems,(in the summer).The problem you are going to run into is the obvious risk of them freezing.I know for a fact that if you ask dealers to ship them in temps under 40 it voids there warranty . I do know that you can get heat packs and with special attention to packaging it can be done.If you do a search here on the forum or post a question I am sure you will find the info you need.

vleavens

Arachnopeon
G. rosea Female with sac
Brachypelma boehmei I am picking up this week

My slings:

B. smithi
A. seemanni
C. crawshayi
B.albopilosum

vleavens

Arachnopeon
Send them express!! And make sure they are very secure...You do not whant them bumping around. I just had one shipped that was not packed well and she did not make the trip. I have never had a problem with the weather but have never had one shipped in the middle of the winter before.

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Send them express!! And make sure they are very secure...You do not whant them bumping around. I just had one shipped that was not packed well and she did not make the trip. I have never had a problem with the weather but have never had one shipped in the middle of the winter before.
If you ship them in the winter, you MUST use a heat pack ! regardless of how they are shipped I always use express mail through the USPS. http://botarby8s.com/policy.html this is the link for Botars site he sells them.Look under dry goods.

tin man

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1 Aphonopelma paloma
1 Aphonopelma crinirufum
2 Aphonopelma behlei
2 Aphonopelma "paysoni"
2 Chilobrachys huahini
1 Cyclosternum fasciatum
1 Nhandu chromatus
1 Lasiodora klugii
1 Poecilotheria rufilata
1 red trapdoor
1 Linothele "Bolivia"

Best,
Mike
If your moving outside of Palmer than theres a petstore pretty close in Wasilla called Pet zoo, and they have a list of species that you can ask them to order for you, and they usually do, so i have never ordered anything

c-land

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the input, link, and suggestions everybody. If I do ship, it will definitely be with lots of insulation and heat packs, and will be done express, or with whichever can guarantee the fastest delivery. Its also good to hear that a pet store is nearby, as I will be needing a steady supply of crickets. Look forward (hopefully) to be joining the Alaskan T community soon.

Best,
Mike

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ya I went to go get one, and both of them were gone, so I just got an emperor scorpion instead, and he's pretty neat to watch
Don't be to disapointed. I have one, its stays in its web that it built in a log, I have never seen it eat. It has only come out one time in the 2 months I have owned it. :(

tin man

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't be to disapointed. I have one, its stays in its web that it built in a log, I have never seen it eat. It has only come out one time in the 2 months I have owned it. :(
I think I'd rather have an emperor scorpion

Jacktwease

Arachnopeon
First Post!

WasAbi-NeN!!!

Im from Anchorage, Alaska born and raised. ran into my first Tarantula ownership when taking care of two (rose hairs?) for my high school science teacher during christmas break. one was mean and the other nice. after a fowl up putting the top of the cage on backwards leaving an opening for both to escape(same cage with divider) the nice one escaped and was loose in my house for 4months till we found it again. I never returned her!
she died last month after living with me 5 more years and one more 4 month escape.
Well I am looking for another docile, big, healthy, and colorful tarantula Because I found them to be great companions! I might try ordering off of an internet website for selection but would be much more comfortable getting one near by. If any ALaskans are willing to part with or have a Breeding pair I have a nice warm welcome home for one If not Im still happy I found this Forum!!!

~DaVid Bauman

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WasAbi-NeN!!!

Im from Anchorage, Alaska born and raised. ran into my first Tarantula ownership when taking care of two (rose hairs?) for my high school science teacher during christmas break. one was mean and the other nice. after a fowl up putting the top of the cage on backwards leaving an opening for both to escape(same cage with divider) the nice one escaped and was loose in my house for 4months till we found it again. I never returned her!
she died last month after living with me 5 more years and one more 4 month escape.
Well I am looking for another docile, big, healthy, and colorful tarantula Because I found them to be great companions! I might try ordering off of an internet website for selection but would be much more comfortable getting one near by. If any ALaskans are willing to part with or have a Breeding pair I have a nice warm welcome home for one If not Im still happy I found this Forum!!!

~DaVid Bauman
http://www.alaskareptiles.com/Alaska_Reptiles_-_Home_Page.html Check out this web site. I bought a couple nice T.s from her she still has a few left.

Jacktwease

Arachnopeon
Yes!
I have just contacted her But, she says the ones she has left are rather aggressive. Id like a tarantula that I can handle often. I will go check them out In the next few days! GOsh this IS exciting!!..hehe
Thank you Jeff
~David Bauman