Question about basic taxonomy

Solar Dart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok this may sound stupid, but upon which taxonomic level is "myriopod/a" located?
One would think it is a class, yet all the information I could find lists Chilopoda and Diplopoda as classes.
I almost think that the sites I've been looking at are 'dumbing things down', and that Chilopoda and Diplopoda are actually sub-classes found within the Myriopoda class, but such 'dumbing down' seems pointless to me.
Anyway....does anyone here have any insights?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not stupid at all. The answer is not very clear to me, either. As far as I can gather by consulting a few books (which either don't mention the word at all or else just call it a "group") and making a phone call to an entomologist friend, "Myriopod" is not a currently recognized taxonomic level, but the name survives informally to mean centipedes and millipedes.

Wade

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Solar Dart
Ok this may sound stupid, but upon which taxonomic level is "myriopod/a" located?
One would think it is a class, yet all the information I could find lists Chilopoda and Diplopoda as classes.
I almost think that the sites I've been looking at are 'dumbing things down', and that Chilopoda and Diplopoda are actually sub-classes found within the Myriopoda class, but such 'dumbing down' seems pointless to me.
Anyway....does anyone here have any insights?
Kingdom- Animalia (all animals)
Phylum- Arthropoda (animals w/ chitinous exoskleton and jointed appendages)
Subphylum- Uniramia (insects, millipedes, centipedes)
Superclass- Myriopoda (millipedes & centipedes)

Under the Superclass Myriopoda are two classes:
Class- Diplopoda (millipedes)
Class- Chilopoda (centipedes)

So I think the answer you were looking for is: Superclass