Hypoaspis miles

Solar Dart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am looking for information on the so-called 'predatory mites'. According to a book I have, the scientific name for these is "Hypoaspis miles".
1) Where can these be bought from?
2) Has anyone ever used them?
3) If so, how are they used to treat spider and scorpion enclosures?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Solar Dart
I am looking for information on the so-called 'predatory mites'. According to a book I have, the scientific name for these is "Hypoaspis miles".
1) Where can these be bought from?
2) Has anyone ever used them?
3) If so, how are they used to treat spider and scorpion enclosures?

I get mine from www.biconet.com . They send you a bottle of them and you sprinkle some of them in your terarium once every few days as a preventative measure, or if you have an infestation you can put a bunch in at once. They eat the bad mites and then die.

Solar Dart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok great, thanks.
Another thing I was wondering about is this:
Do you only use them when you've got a noticeable mite problem, or do you just sprinkle some in your tanks every other month or so?

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
They are rather expensive to use on a regular basis, as you've already found out if you've checked the biconet site. I've used them several times for infestations of large tanks and/or burrowing set-ups, where it was easier or safer than simply changing the substrate or allowing the substrate to dry out. If you use them, make sure you keep the humidity in the affected vivarium high, as the predatory mites are as moisture sensitive as the pestiferous ones.

Joy