how much and often should a pede eat

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i just want to know how much or often you should feed a small or big centipede and i was also reading another thread that said that a pede could litterly burst?
has anyone experinced this? i have been feeding my 10.5 inch scolopendra heros c. once a day a 1 inch hisser is that too much?
and it is very fat . or maybe she is gravid that would be cool.
thanks chyguy

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by chyguy
i just want to know how much or often you should feed a small or big centipede and i was also reading another thread that said that a pede could litterly burst?
has anyone experinced this? i have been feeding my 10.5 inch scolopendra heros c. once a day a 1 inch hisser is that too much?
and it is very fat . or maybe she is gravid that would be cool.
thanks chyguy
I feed my adult SHC one larger meal once a week, sometimes once every two weeks... once a day is overkill... they would NEVER have access to food that regularly in the wild, IMO. They are instinctually "dumb" animals, meaning that they will sometimes eat whatever you throw at them, not because they're hungry or needy, but just because that's what their tiny little brains tell them to do. I'd back off to one or two roaches twice a week... that will be more than enough.

As for baby pedes, especially heros and other arid, desert species, one small cricket (.25") twice a week will be fine... they will die if overfed, as many here can attest to. Also, NO EXCESSIVE WATER DROPS on the wall for those little guys... they will literally drown in excess humidity, believe it or not. 40-60% humidity is FINE... no need to mist twice a day or anything fanatical like that (not that you do, but I did, and lost both babies).