PDA

View Full Version : IDing... The Zombie T ;)

mr.wilderness
11-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Okay, so a longggg time ago one of my friends (who was MAJORLY into tarantulas, like wayyyyyy more than I am) went on vacation or something and his computerized heating system flubbed up, killing off a couple of his t's and other various inverts. So then he gives them to me since he knows I'm into the whole animal preservation thing. A lot of them I was able to identify and still have in my collection today -and they are BIG-, but this one has elluded my attempts at a positive ID. Its still a good specimen though, so I figured if anyone could help me out, the people on arachnoboards could :clap: Anyway, I took some pics from a couple angles, so if you all can tell me what it is I'll be eternally grateful (I've been trying to figure out what it is for years ;)

thedude
11-02-2007, 12:33 PM
looks almost like a species out of new mexico or arizona.. how big is it??..lol i know im prolly wrong

Truff135
11-02-2007, 12:33 PM
About how big would you say it is? I know I still don't have any clue but the other real experts on here would probably be able to figure it out better if they knew approximately what size it is. Just guesstimate :D
Good luck to ya!

mr.wilderness
11-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Oh I forgot, i'm pretty sure its a female too

mr.wilderness
11-02-2007, 12:36 PM
The body is about 3 inches, the legspan is around 5 inches. I actually thought it might be from mexico or the southwest too, but what do I know about these things? If its not bright blue, or purple, or all black, or have pink toes or red knees I'm pretty lost :wall:

thedude
11-02-2007, 12:37 PM
im going with something from the american southwest

btw great mounting.. i cant wait for some of my Ts to kick the bucket so i can mout them up (just kidding... sorta lol)

Truff135
11-02-2007, 12:38 PM
LOL I know what you mean hehe. My initial thought when I first saw it was aphonopelma but as far as what species in particular (chalcodes, hentzi etc) I am at a lost. I'm probably way off the mark with the aphonopelma too LOL.:D

Truff135
11-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Hmm...I'm thinking one of these:
http://www.scottstarantulas.com/0073.htm
http://www.scottstarantulas.com/0075.htm

They both appear to be from Texas. Both specimens on the site are also female, so if the one you have is male, that could explain why it looks so much...leggier...than the ones on the site. Does anyone agree a little? Maybe?...hehe

mr.wilderness
11-02-2007, 12:53 PM
im going with something from the american southwest

btw great mounting.. i cant wait for some of my Ts to kick the bucket so i can mout them up (just kidding... sorta lol)

Thanks, I take pride in my work (esp. with t's ;) ) Thats the good thing about arthros though, if they die you can still keep them and scare people with ;) It sucks because all the other ones were easy to figure out but this one -c. crawshayi, g. pulchra, p. antinuous = easy-

verry_sweet
11-02-2007, 01:20 PM
My guess is Theraphosa apophysis. Thatís just a guess though.

cheetah13mo
11-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Based on the colored rim around the carapace. I'm going to say it's from South or Central America.

Truff135
11-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Ugh, now that I look at it, it does look theraphosa-ish too. :wall:
You have yourself a mystery t!

Scorpendra
11-02-2007, 01:52 PM
call this a blind shot, but i'd guess A. seemani; an Aphonopelma spp. at least. can you get a good shot of the spinnerets?

MadTitan
11-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Peruvian Blond (Lasiodorides polycuspulatus)
http://botarby8s.com/images/spiders/lpolycuspulatus2.jpg

It looks like this to me, but I am far from an expert. There are quite a few brown-ish tarantulas. The image is from botar's price list.

GartenSpinnen
11-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Is it me or do those fangs look especially large??
-Nate

mr.wilderness
11-02-2007, 02:28 PM
I'll try to get a good pic of the spinnerets, but bear with me 'cause my camera kinda sux {D And yes, the fangs are pretty large, so its not just you shammer ;) That's what made me think it was pretty cool when I first mounted it.

butch4skin
11-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Cyrtophilis? I don't, I've no idea. Ask M.F. Bagaturov.