First GBB Spiderling

K1j1m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am receiving a GBB in the next couple days as a spiderling and i just wanna make sure i have everything perfect. I could definetly use some more opinions on how i do this. Its about 1.25" and is arriving in a 80 dram vial. I am going to mist it on the side of the vial about half a squart of a strait stream of water every other day. Going to be feeding it a cricket every other day to make it grow a bit quicker to get it out of this stage asap. Once it grows about 2" its going into a 5.5 gal plastic tank with about 3-4" if bed-a-beast substrate. I have a plant a shallow water dish and a premade burrow made from a flower pot inside. I am not sure how much i should feed it after that though. Also the whole misting the vial as a spiderling confuses me because i hear its the most vital part of the spiderlings life. To little or to much could possabley kill it. All your opinions are appreicated as im trying to get this 100% perfact. Thanks :)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I am going to mist it on the side of the vial about half a squart of a strait stream of water every other day.
Careful with this. This is a dry species; adults are known to die from not being kept in bone-dry conditions. Even for a humid species, spraying more than once or twice a week is a good way to get mold. I would spray no more than once a week, maybe once every ten days.

Going to be feeding it a cricket every other day to make it grow a bit quicker to get it out of this stage asap...I am not sure how much i should feed it after that though.
I feed my grown girl an average of 2-3 crickets a week, though I usually only feed about once a month, but I add up crickets for the time since last feeding (two weeks = 4-6 crickets, and so on). I've had her a long while now and going strong.

I really think you should stick with one cricket a week while tiny. They're gorgeous at this size, and you should enjoy their different stages of coloration while they last. This species is tough as nails, it's not like you have a fragile avic baby to worry about.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here's my watering method.

Buy a pipette at a pet store. They are like 25 cents. Every week put two or three drops of water inside the vial. That's all a GBB needs for moisture. With feeding it as often as you said, it'll get lots of liquid from its kills.

Good luck, and good choice !

K1j1m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I really think you should stick with one cricket a week while tiny. They're gorgeous at this size, and you should enjoy their different stages of coloration while they last. This species is tough as nails, it's not like you have a fragile avic baby to worry about.
Thanks. Just to be certain half a squirt on the side of the vial once a week is more then enough? also the only reason why i want to feed it a bit more is because this is my first T and i am a bit nervous raising it at 1.25"

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks. Just to be certain half a squirt on the side of the vial once a week is more then enough? also the only reason why i want to feed it a bit more is because this is my first T and i am a bit nervous raising it at 1.25"
My GBB was my first T too. I also fed it every other day at first.

Wait till your first long premoult. You'll be getting another T :)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
also the only reason why i want to feed it a bit more is because this is my first T and i am a bit nervous raising it at 1.25"
No reason to be nervous, these are tough bugs. And if it's your very first T, wow, you REALLY do not want to rush its growth. These can be incredibly fast, like faster than my eye can follow fast as she flings herself across the tank after crickets. You should probably take it nice and slow and learn to handle it at this size before you end up with a big lightning-fast adult. :)

Mine was among my first Ts, but she was already over 2.5" and I just put her directly into her permanent home. But man, even then, she almost lunged out before I could close the lid. Fast spiders, my friend. :eek:

K1j1m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My GBB was my first T too. I also fed it every other day at first.

Wait till your first long premoult. You'll be getting another T :)
Ya im already thinking about how i can fit another tank in my room for another T even before i recieved my first one. lol

ShawnH

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
GBB grow pretty fast so there is no need to power feed them. It will go from 1.25'' to 2'' in about a month and a half if you feed it weekly. depending on temps too of course. and as for fitting more tanks thats extremely easy if you get stackable enclosures. I have roughly 20 T's housed on top one of my python cages alone by stacking the cages 3 high.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ya im already thinking about how i can fit another tank in my room for another T even before i recieved my first one. lol
HAHAHA
I went from 1 T, to 1 shelf, to one whole book shelf, to a full room.
You have been warned:)
GBB's are awsome T's. They web alot so what I do with my slings is just put a few drops of water on the web, they can drink it from there.
They are pretty aggressive with their food as well. Really fun to watch.

chris