Lost.. P. crassipes

Sarvoth

Arachnopeon
Well... My little 1-1.5" P. crassipes sling is apparently lost. Somehow it managed to escape after it's first molt under my care and is on the loose. I have no idea how or when this happened.:confused: :( :wall:

I guess I'll be ordering another sling pretty soon :8o .

-Brandon

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
turn on the air cooler then put a heat pad or make one part of your room warm and your t my come there. Thats what i usually do when some of my t's escape. they will go find a warm place to hide when its too cold. i hope it helps

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That really sucks man.. I hope you find it.. :(

When my subadult escaped, I found her directly above the tank in the corner of the celing.. Usually they don't go far.

Brettus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, they can be escape artists. The first night I got my Selenotypus plumipes (another Aussie T) it managed to sneak its way out of a crack I was positive was too small for it to do so-it proved me wrong:8o . Luckily, I realised she was missing within a few minutes and found her where the blanket of my bed touches the ground-she didn't have much opportunity to get far. Don't give up hope yet-search high and low, you would be suprised where they can turn up.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Didn't think Aussie T's were allowed in America..?
The medically signifficant species aren't allowed to be exported from Australlia. However, the Australlian government has recently allowed some people to legally export native inverts. There's a lot of hoops to jump through (everything exported has to be third generation captive bred, for example), but they are being legally exported from Australlia and legally imported to the US.

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"The medically signifficant species aren't allowed to be exported from Australlia."

From what Ive read, all Australian tarantula species are medically significant! Then again, in my readings, I notice that people generalise a lot when discussing the effects of Aussie T venom, assuming as if all the different species here have identical venom characteristics. I do wonder if some species of Aussie Ts have more potent venom than others.

Last edited:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
"The medically signifficant species aren't allowed to be exported from Australlia."

From what Ive read, all Australian tarantula species are medically significant! Then again, in my readings, I notice that people generalise a lot when discussing the effects of Aussie T venom, assuming as if all the different species here have identical venom characteristics. I do wonder if some species of Aussie Ts have more potent venom than others.
Not all of them are.

Most have a very painful bite...but not one that could kill you.

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
True, none can kill you. Though the listed symptons (localised pain and swelling, and nausea) are usually attributed to all Aussie T species in general, from the writings of others. Out of curiosity, which particular species of Australian tarantulas have you heard of have venom with more severe and less severe symptons than those listed above? Of course, one must also consider that different people have different reactions to the same venom from the same species of organism so this makes things less clear cut.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
Actually, I'd love to know myself ;) Xenome (a French based company) are doing some interesting research into the properties (certain peptides are of interest I believe???) of Australian theraphosid venom. They have a small group for supply though, so spp. being exmained are limited and the identifications are inadequate. Nothing has been published to date, so I'm curious where you heard some are worse than others???

Unless you are considering Funell-web spiders as "tarantulas"?????

Thanks,
Steve