water bowl bad treatment!

Frédérick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi! I've put a water bowl (soft drink cap) into my 2" A. seemanni tank, but the T would just grab it with its fangs and push it all over the place instead of drinking from it...the cap is now lying on the side so no more water in it...i guess it's not unusual but i'd like to keep it full of water, any advice? :confused:

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Try feeding the youngster....THEN fill the water dish....{D {D {D

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had about 10 ts do the same thing on a daily basis. There's not much you can do to make it stop. If it wants to re-arrange it's going to re-arrange. Some ts are just like that.

One thing I thought of trying but never ended up doing was hot-gluing it in place in the corner right on top of the substrate level. Not sure if that would be worth it, though, as it would make cleaning it pretty impossible.

tigger_my_T.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My t. dose almost the same thing but he fills it with dirt I just keep refilling it.

Frédérick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the tips! As for feeding, it is very well fed and maybe too much to be honest! But thinking of it, I think that the sides of the cap are just too high for the T to get over it and drink...maybe i should try another dish! hot gluing isn't a bad idea, but like you said it makes it difficult to clean! :wall:

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have to clean about 3 out of 6 t's water daily because they love to pile dirt in it. One of my a.seemani's was actually sitting on her dirt-water pile yesterday and it took me about 10 minutes for me to get her off of it. She really liked it for some reason, kept sticking her feet in it. Perhaps she was soaking her dainty little feet...

Rizzolo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you almost had the solution. if you glue a plastic deli cup in the corner (even partially below grade is fine), then you just set a clean, water-filled, deli cup into it. that way, T can't knock it over or mess with it, but it is easy to replace. my Ts then fill them with dirt. i haven't figured out how to get ahead of that, but i don't think it matters.

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL. All of my water dishes have dirt in them DAILY! I really don't see anything wrong with having some potting soil in the water dish... I mean they don't drink out of clean plastic containers in the wild. I think some dirt can't hurt as long as it isn't "poo-poo" water.

For T's that "move" the water dish... I've put in water dishes that are just a little heavier or weigh them down a little with a small pebble or something in it.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
never had one do that, but i had most of them bury the water dish lol even my G. rosea female will web it up lol

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For T's that "move" the water dish... I've put in water dishes that are just a little heavier or weigh them down a little with a small pebble or something in it.
so what is your method to dealing with a G.rosea with a heavy water dish, that still manages to move it all over?:wall:

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so what is your method to dealing with a G.rosea with a heavy water dish, that still manages to move it all over?:wall:
Sorry, no answer for that. You sure have one strong spider! LOL. My (previous) rosea never did much... so I don't have any experience with MUSCLE T's. LOL.

Frédérick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think i'll just switch the water bowl to an heavier one, probably one made out of glass since the T won't have any hold on it...and a larger too! but how large can i provide a 2" T a dish? i'm thinking of approximately the leg span or maybe larger...

Corranthe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think i'll just switch the water bowl to an heavier one, probably one made out of glass since the T won't have any hold on it...and a larger too! but how large can i provide a 2" T a dish? i'm thinking of approximately the leg span or maybe larger...
Doesn't matter if it is a little big, just so long as you put some smooth pebbles in it so that the T can't go swimming.

For myself, I found it is just easier to accept the extra few seconds of cleaning the water dish every day or two then to try and fight with certain Ts about it. The way I figure it, if they want something to play with in their cage who am I to naysay it?

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My N. collortavalosum used to bury her water dish constantly. Now she doesn't get one. I moisten a spot on the substrate and I run water down the side of the glass into her burrow.

--Chris

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The ones that I use are almost flat ceramic dishes for potted plants. They're heavy and shallow, but wide, so that it does hold a little water.

Sorry for the "side-bar" -- PhormictopusMan, your avatar - is that a prego TICK???? Yuck!

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I already know this is an old thread but it seemed more appropriate than starting a new one on a well worn topic. My adorable A. chalcodes sling has been filling her water dish with substrate for a while, and I've been patiently emptying and cleaning them but this time she's gone overboard.
DSCF4929.jpg
She's effectively reduced her square footage by 33% as you can see, the left side is floor to ceiling substrate. It was all level two days ago. So cute.

jsmalley93

Arachnopeon
I would say remove some of that substrate and the water dish and stick to spraying for a little while. But that is just me.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say remove some of that substrate and the water dish and stick to spraying for a little while. But that is just me.
Well it is her house...who am I to disagree with her tastes in decor? It's not really a problem just interesting to me.