Long Tube Sticking Out of Female Dubia's Behind

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What is it? Sorry its my first time having them. Is this an eggsac? And if so, aint they live bearers? What else could it be?

Anyway it sticked out like half an inch or more earlier but now seem to went back inside its butt.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nothing to worry about. Yes they are live bearers, but they do produce eggcases which is what you saw. They make them, then let them out of ther bodies then take them back in. I don't know how to explain it better than that. Your dubia is fine, it will have babies soon.

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL! When the babies are out. Ill tell you guys! Its just that crickets are really unpleasant as feeders; and dubias as I researched and read, are hardy and easier to keep. Doesnt stink too.

How long should I expect it to have nymphs though?

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not sure. My dubias have bred really quickly for me. I saw a really noticeable increase in numbers in a short time. My T's just love them. I keep B. dubia and B. latteralis as feeders. The dubias are bigger, and the latteralis are smaller and faster. I feed depending on the T. My fast T's, H. mac juvie, P. regalis juvie, OBT juvie, I give some of each. The big T's get the dubias, smaller older T's get small dubias and young fast juvies get latteralis.
You will love them, they are great. Very little smell, breed fast, will eat anything, and T's love them.

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I just started with 10 cuz here its expensive. $2 a piece. You think its enough to start a colony in a year?

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yep

i started with 25 less than a year ago and am overrun now.
lateralis stink chance of infestation and they are kinda a pain in the butt with the humidity stick to dubia.ten should do you fine.just will take longer.
Andy

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Uh... sort of same question.... the last two bigger dubia females my t's have eaten, have had something coming out of the butt when being eaten. It almost looks like a bit more of an orange colored meal worm.... I'll take a pic if I can, but it would be reassuring to know if its just an egg casing or something...

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I saw the same thing on a dead female I saw in a friends enclosure, nothing to worry about, just the egg sac being squeezed out.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I started my B. dubia colony these summer. The first time I saw a female with a protruding egg case it freaked me out. Very odd looking.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Why do they suck the ooth back into their bodies? Do they reabsorb it or just discard it eventually?

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why do they suck the ooth back into their bodies? Do they reabsorb it or just discard it eventually?
I think that the reason may be to keep the ooth from drying out, being expose to any fungus/mold and things that may want to eat it.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yea, when they give birth, then all the babies eat them. sometime even the larger nymphs will come over and eat it before the little ones get some.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I started out with 100 nymphs now after 3 months or so i have mostly adults with a large female to less male ratio but no babies. I was wondering what that thing was i though it was an egg case so i asked a while back for those who are curious what is been talked about here.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It takes 3-5 months to 'gestate' the oothecea...the female will protrude the case - let it harden - then retract it for a short time longer. You will see 'live' births in numbers of 20-50 with each 'birth'....
Also: we have found that most often if the oothecea is misshapen as she is drying it.....like a 'c' or a 'd' it will not be hatched.