Frequency of baby pedes eating mom?

greensleeves

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi guys,

I have a question. I was looking at the Swift Inverts site and I noticed that in pics of a captive bred scolopendra gigantea clutch, the babies ended up eating mom, leaving only her fangs. Eep!

I was wondering how common this was in captive breeding situations since I haven't read about any of you guys experiencing this.

Is it because you take the little guys out as soon as they leave mom to prevent them from canabalizing her? Do you think they would do it if left undisturbed?

I tell you, though, that is the ultimate in self-sacrifice. I wonder how many human parents feel that they (or maybe their wallets) are being slowly nibbled to death by the dreaded offspring. :D

Greensleeves

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi.
I don't think this is a very common occurrance. Unfortunately there is still very little known about the breeding habits of these creatures so really all there is so far is speculation and theory.

It is currently believed that the cannibalising of the mother is a trait that may be relative only to certain species. Again, that can't be stated as fact as far as I know. Hopefully someone else can shed a little more light on the subject soon.

Atrax

Last edited: