new king baboon/hatian brown enclosure

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I just finished this enclosure, I know its big but I like big tanks and what I wanted to do to it it had to be a big tank. The side on the left is the king baboon and on the right is the hatian brown. Both sides feature a under ground misting system (2) humidity probes and temp probes in each den and also (2) humidity probes and temp probes above den. The tank is fully sealed behind the cage to kepp humidity in tank....humidity is supplied by a humidifier wth (2) 2 foot wide tubes one to each side with a constant supply of water and also has intergrated water heater so this heats the tanks to 80 Degrees with no air flow (T's hate air flow) it heats it by the condesation...humidifier is governered by the hydrometer...basicaly when my tanks go above 75%-80% it shuts off the humidifer. The baboons den is 15" deep & 15" wide...the hatian browns den 10" wide & 10" deep. I know this cage is to elaborate and big in most opinions but when you have waited 7 years to have these T's its so worth it....tell me what you guys think.

Last edited:

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
bravo..love it..kinda big but awesome burrow gauges...:clap:

wayne

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
bravo..love it..kinda big but awesome burrow gauges...:clap:

wayne
Thanks it was a lot of work...This may sound crazy but I dont think the king baboon is going to burrow I think she likes the den she will defend it with her life.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Nice set up, but I agree its a bit elaborate. I suspect that both spiders will modify the enclosures to there preference. I doubt that a small Citharischius crawshayi will feel comfortable in a 15" deep & 15" burrow.

Later, Tom

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I doubt that a small Citharischius crawshayi will feel comfortable in a 15" deep & 15" burrow.
Not a chance in hell. Burrowers like it cramped, solid and dark. That's the whole idea. But good try though!

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The burrow gauges are a cool idea but they won't last to long if you leave them in the burrows like that. Eventually they will get covered in webbing and useless...then good luck pulling it out of that Baboon's burrow later on when the battery needs changing.

You're also going to want to watch that airflow (or lack there of) with the misting system combination...T's hate airflow but they also need a decent amount of ventilation to stay healthy and to keep your environment mold free.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The burrow gauges are a cool idea but they won't last to long if you leave them in the burrows like that. Eventually they will get covered in webbing and useless...then good luck pulling it out of that Baboon's burrow later on when the battery needs changing.

You're also going to want to watch that airflow (or lack there of) with the misting system combination...T's hate airflow but they also need a decent amount of ventilation to stay healthy and to keep your environment mold free.
The top is all screen, I am installing air flow disks in the sides of the tank, The top of the entire den is sealed foam and has substrate glued to it wich I can remove...The white log in front has a slot where I can slide a piece of acrilic into if I have to change the battery. The whole Idea behind the den was for the K.B to start his burrow inside the den...so the den would actualy be the opening of the den. The baboon is already webbing the back of the den so only time will tell.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Nice set up, but I agree its a bit elaborate. I suspect that both spiders will modify the enclosures to there preference. I doubt that a small Citharischius crawshayi will feel comfortable in a 15" deep & 15" burrow.

Later, Tom
the Citharischius crawshayi in the picture is almost 6"

loyaluntodeath

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, And i thought my measly 20 Gallon long setup was big! Awsome setup they look wonderfull, i like the probes in the burrow its a very good idea :)

on a scale of 1-10 i'd rate yours a 9.

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those look great. I don't have a baboon but what people say about it above is what I understand also. The cancerides might wander around a bit especially if the diet is controlled so that it starts to hunt. It will be interesting to see as the days, months, years go by, just how much they actually do use the space and how much you will end up modifying it. I think what a lot of poeple do, myself included, is think big and elaborate at first and then move to simple, particulary when your collection moves past ten spiders, then twenty, then thirty.

--Chris

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would let the K.b container dry out completely. Wet one side of the substrate twice a year. They like it on the dry side. She will dig her own burrow and then you will have to redecorate. You won't see her much.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not a chance in hell. Burrowers like it cramped, solid and dark. That's the whole idea. But good try though!
I dont think she is going to burrow she has webbed the den in the rear and isn't even trying to burrow...she looks very comfortable.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That' s really nice. Big but awesome. :)
thanks...I am in the process of constructing another 125 gal split in half ...t.blondi on one side and goliath pink toe in the other. I have another 125 gallon also on the way but its a 125 long 9ft long 2ft wide 1ft tall it will be split in (6) or (8) places.

ahas

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Cool, don' t forget to post some pics. :D

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont think she is going to burrow she has webbed the den in the rear and isn't even trying to burrow...she looks very comfortable.
Give it 4-6 weeks and report back. Sometimes you just get lucky. I had a 5" Lividum that made a small KK her entire burrow and therefor was visible all the time, except for the layer of silk all around the kk walls.

So nothing is impossible, just very unlikely ;)

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Give it 4-6 weeks and report back. Sometimes you just get lucky. I had a 5" Lividum that made a small KK her entire burrow and therefor was visible all the time, except for the layer of silk all around the kk walls.

So nothing is impossible, just very unlikely ;)
she looks pretty comfortable today...she is webbing more..I tried to feed her a pinkie but she hasnt nailed it yey.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's a cool setup you have.
Can't wait to see some more pictures.