Tarantula rescue URGENT

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I went to the local pet store the other day where they had a rose hair and another unknown species of tarantula sold to them as a rose hair in the same 10 gallon setup split by a divider (we all know how that goes...) and the spiders got together and fought it out. The rose hair was fine but the other unknown species is in very bad shape. Her abdomen is very thin and her legs are curled under. She also lost a leg in the fight. She shows some interaction when held for observation and i think theres a very very slim chance of bringing her back. Right now i got her in a small container well ventilated with paper towel under her and a water dish with fresh water in it. Shes not moving much at all and im curious as what i can do to help possibly keep her alive, because shes a beautiful species whatever she is. Also, what is she!? Heres a pic... Please help.

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You are doing all you can at this point. And it looks like a lost cause. Underfed, and maybe injured, plus stressed the odds are stacked against you to revive her. Good luck though. Another sad pet store story. :8o

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm afraid I'll have to agree with Ryan, she does not look good. All you can do at this point is put her in an ICU, and leave her alone. Good luck!!

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any idea on what species this is? I changed the ICU a bit, i wet the papertowel she is on a bit more and elevated her abdomen, i kept the water dish in also. Also i put paper towel over the top of the KK to kinda keep the moisture levels up a bit higher. Shes such a docile and beautiful species id hate to see her go. The worst part of it all? I actually paid money to take this tarantula just to see her at least have a decent place to pass.

tin man

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im kind of thinking its a Brachypelma Vagans. I hope all goes well, but theres a big chance that it wont

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Other than applying clear nail polish to the wound(s) (which should have been done immediately), there's nothing you can do.

Kwadapok

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ahh, that poor thing looks so bad. If you get it back in shape my hats off to you. Good luck.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bless you for giving the little critter all the best you can. Regardless of her outcome she/he will feel safe and loved. That's the best thing you can give anyone.
I just shake my head at pet stores who treat living things as a commodity to only be traded for dollars.
Congrats for buying him/her to give a sense of well-being. It's a beautiful thing you do.
Here's hoping.....:clap: :clap: :clap:

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All hope is not lost! She got up and got a drink of water out of the water dish. I will continue to keep her in ICU and with any luck she might pull through! She is still very very sluggish but any movements she makes makes me very hopeful of a recovery. Does tarantula venom from a different species kill other species of tarantulas or cause paralysis or anything to that extent?

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow! That's great news!!! I'm thinking you might have a miracle in the making. I was thinking just before I checked in that you might try making a "'cricket soup" for your patient to suck up. It has worked for others of us who have nursed injured T's back to health. In fact, I just dropper fed my T some and he sucked it down.

We're pulling for you and your little one!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well now if she drank then things are looking up now. Good luck let us know how she is in the morning.

Sabatta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The poor thing looks like she's dead already in those pics. I hope she makes it.

How big is she? Not to be too optimistic but does she look like she will have enough molts left to regrow her leg?

Topcat1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bummer. Sorry to hear that. She had a better shot with you trying than she would have had if you didn't come along

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The poor thing looks like she's dead already in those pics. I hope she makes it.

How big is she? Not to be too optimistic but does she look like she will have enough molts left to regrow her leg?
As far as I know female tarantulas do not stop molting so there would always have been time to regrow a leg for a female.

Sorry that the poor little gal died :(. I had one I tried to save to. It was so underfed and dehydrated. I was able to get it to eat and drink but its abdomen was 1/3 the size of the cephalothorax and it later died :(.

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im curious, its seems that frequently an attempt to save a extremely neglected T results in the T dying shortly after showing some progress.

Is it possible that they may be dying due to too much of a good thing? I know it sounds weird, but even people who have been starved have been known to die if they eat too much after some one tries to nurse them back to health. People who have been extrememly dehydrtaed have died after drinking too much water, people who have been hypothermic or hyperthermic have been known to die if they are warmed or cooled too fast.

Is it possible that we are doing too much when we first get a T in such bad shape? Should we limit the water available at first and just keep them moist? Should we then slowly bring them to a state of actually being allowed to drink. For feeding(after some time), should we perhaps give them diluted cricket soup to provide some moisture and a little less food stuff to ease their system back into normal functionality? etc, etc...

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Im curious, its seems that frequently an attempt to save a extremely neglected T results in the T dying shortly after showing some progress.

Is it possible that they may be dying due to too much of a good thing? I know it sounds weird, but even people who have been starved have been known to die if they eat too much after some one tries to nurse them back to health. People who have been extrememly dehydrtaed have died after drinking too much water, people who have been hypothermic or hyperthermic have been known to die if they are warmed or cooled too fast.

Is it possible that we are doing too much when we first get a T in such bad shape? Should we limit the water available at first and just keep them moist? Should we then slowly bring them to a state of actually being allowed to drink. For feeding(after some time), should we perhaps give them diluted cricket soup to provide some moisture and a little less food stuff to ease their system back into normal functionality? etc, etc...
Those are pretty much my thoughts as well. I iwanted to feed the tarantula so much but its abdomen was so small compared to the rest of the body there was no way it could store what I perceive as a normal amount of food for a tarantula. It really is hard (impossible for some) to be brought back from such an extreme of neglect. I think you are right though maybe going slow with small amounts would have been better. The one I had even became mobile and would attack prey but it was always still with those problems and its abdomen never recovered. I was so hoping it would eventually molt so it would have a fresh abdomen to expand as it ate. But better luck next time. :(

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you did an amazing thing and i commend you for trying where most would have left be . like any other animal a t deserves compassion and caring and even if the t didnt know or understand , we do and i send praise to you