Thinking about a B. Vagans...

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found one today at a nearby Petco & it was actually housed really well. Plenty of substrate, nice big half log hide, live plants, plenty of clean water, I was surprised. Can't tell the sex but it looks about 5" & healthy although the abd is rather small in proportion to the carapace so i'm guessing male.
It was priced at $39.00 which is not bad & I really wanted to bring It home!:drool: But, I promised the wife the c.crawshayi would be my last T this year....I may have go into stealth mode & slip back over there & pick it up before someone else does! {D
Do these get hooks when they mature? I did'nt see any & had a good view of the T. Also I read that they require higher humidity-around 75% or more..?

Flying

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haven't noticed the need for higher humidity myself. Got two slings and they seem to do fine in any circumstances, be it dry or wet. Wouldn't go for it if it is a male though.

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
B. vagans is one of my favorites. They are beautiful and great eaters. I have heard that they should have higher humidity also, but I don't do anything different than with my other Ts, except that when I refill the water dishes I let them overflow a bit. They have been doing fine for years this way.

I also would not buy it if it is a male. Unless you have a female you want to breed.

Jen

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Our B Vagans male grew and matured very quickly - less than a year, so only buy it if it's a female. Our 2 remaining slings are very slow growing so we are hoping they are girls ( we gave away the 5 fast growers lol ).

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know if the guy at Petco even knows or knows how to sex. Thats why I was wondering if MM had hooks. This one was didn't.:confused:
May have to go back & check-thanks for the replies all.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They do get hooks. Hooks you can't miss.

They are one of the faster growing brachys, you should just get a sling from online and watch it grow!

Bone dry substrate with a water dish and they do just fine. Sometimes I will over flow the water dish but that is about it.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I wouldn't count on any petstore to know anything about Ts at all. I have seen hooked out males they swore were females because thats all they sell lol

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Get better at sexing and go down there :p
You can always sex all their Ts like I've done before and say which ones are males and they should be 20 bucks cheaper. {D :eek:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree, they grow fast. One of my very first small slings was a vagans who is now, 2 years later, a huge, beautiful female who will be breeding soon. Raising her from a tiny little one was very rewarding, and I nearly burst with pride every time I look at her.
As far as the humidity goes, I give her normal brachy humidity. I overfill the water dish once a week, and keep a little closer eye on the humidity during the winter.