New T is digging to China!!! (sp?)

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I re-housed him last night to a bigger tank and he looked so displaced I tossed him a cricket. He gobbled it and instantly became king of his mountain once again. He is obviously a burrower but "obligate" doesn't quite cover it. He is a T earth mover!!

Last night I watched and saw him coming up the tunnel under his cork bark. I couldn't figure out was I was seeing. It looked like his bum all covered in dirt. Then as he neared the top I saw the 'strate start flying! He had packed a huge load against his face and had his palps wrapped around it. I couldn't believe how much soil his little palps could hold.

I bought him on a whim, not even knowing his species (photo below) and it turns out he is hilarious!! What a character. I had brought him home in a small KK in which he was already at the bottom so I named him "Digger." Turns our I was right!{D {D

Here is the little guy. If anyone knows his species I love to know it too.

Last edited:

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He dug himself into a corner and this is clear but you'll have see his abdomen pattern from the other photo. It isn't the typical chevron patterns like Haps. He is something else. Right now he's 4". Hope it helps, I'd love to know what he is and have searched all over the web.

Last edited:

Greyhalo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From the first picture I would say that you have a very faded A. seemanni in need of a molt. The reason I'm saying A. seemanni is because of the rust colored spinnerets. They are a burrowing sp. and if he has closed off the entrance to his burrow then there is a good chance that he is getting ready for an upcoming molt.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Based on the photo (however unclear it may be :) ) and its behavior, I think I second the a.seemani opinion. One of mine is an absolute bulldozer. I think she rearranges her tank daily. I had some pretty little fake leaves in there...now it looks like a bomb went off. She's got dirt, leaves, and stones that she yanked out of her water dish just scattered all over the place. My other one digs to an extent but Stella is just nuts. Luna, the one that doesn't dig as much, is more nervous than Stella and will run when I open her lid. Stella, on the other hand 9 times out of 10 when I open the lid she runs out of her burrow and defiantly puts her front two feet into her water dish, as if daring me to try to change it. She's never threatened or anything but she definitely is a little bolder. Anyhow, tangent aside, I think I agree it's either a brown-hued version of an a.seemani or just a black-hue a.seemani in need of good molting. :D

Frédérick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sure looks like seemanni, mine also dug in a corner of my KK so I can still see her...I guess they all dig at one time or another!

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks everyone. I'd be the first to applaud if it is an A seemani since that is on my wish list. Good comment on the rust colored spinnerets. And the others you talked about burrowing as well. Mine is underground all the time too and in the corner also.

Too funny, Truff about yours with it's feet in the water dish. LOL

My only reservation is the pattern on the abdomen. It's fairly detailed and I haven't seen any other A seemanis like that.

Time will tell and with an abdomen the size of a sports dome it is only a matter of time before he molts. I can't believe he hasn't yet!!

Thanks all!!!{D