My terrestrials wanna be arboreals!

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do your ground pounders like to scale the glass every now & then? Just wondering as mine do all the time. My A.Hentzi climbs more than my H.Lividum & now my new C.Crawshayi is doing it! I thought a 6" King Baboon would be too bulky to climb, but--i'm wrong as usual. They were all up tonight showing their climbing skills.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I thought a 6" King Baboon would be too bulky to climb, but--i'm wrong as usual. They were all up tonight showing their climbing skills.

Thats an indication of inappropriate conditions. Check all of you parameters or the subsrate you are using. Unless youve aquired them all in the last week I would be concerned and check there enviroment.

pearson340

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my G.rosea is doing it now all the time but the temp stays around 20-26C so i cant see the problem the only time its 20- is when i wake up because i turn off theheat mat when i go to bed

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cobalts and baboons burrow, I don't know about hentzi. How much substrate are you giving them? Climbing is usually a sign of distress.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
could it be the temperature is too low?
Not to sound cross or anything, but in low temps don't most species burrow deeper and or take to a hide if the temps drop?

I would think they are all out on the glass soaking up a heat source. Which in turn I guess means it's to cold in the tank and the room! {D

My thought process is weird I know. :D

Last edited:

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
as tarantula can detect minute temperature diffrences they will go to the warmest place. it could well be that one side of the room is warmer then the other side. if this is the case the spider will try to get to the warmest place. if the whole room is the same temperature, chances are that the spider wil burrow.

but as there are no details given here, a cold room could well be the reason.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not to mention heat rises. So that is something to consider as well

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also, the temps on the surface of the wet substrate would be lower because of evaporation.

Was a burrow started for them? It might just be a case of, they checked the place out, thought they could do better and tried to leave. It could take months for them to dig.

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol-I knew i'd get the "unfavorable conditions" suggestion:p . That would be NO. I have them in the warmest room in the house & substrate is all adequate.
Even my living room which is pretty large is staying 76-81f. The C.Crawshayi has only been in her new home since Wed so maybe she's just exploring & she has a ready made burrow about the size of my fist but i'm sure she'll start digging on her own soon. The H. Lividum has a tiny opening in her peat & has burrowed in deep & just comes out at night. The A.Hentzi...don't know why she's climbing. She has plenty of substrate & has burrowed some & I keep her peat mostly dry with a full water dish. I don't mist the A.Henztzi at all & have'nt the C.crawshayi yet. I mist the H.Lavidum & our A.Avic every other day . My MM G.Rosea- I keep his sub bone dry & have him a water dish & he is your typical pet rock, won't climb squat.
I'm caring for my inverts from the info I have gleaned here & from other boards. I was just posting this to see if climbing was common. They are all eating well & otherwise appear healthy, I just was'nt sure about the climbing:confused: ...
If it was cool in here or their sub was staying too moist I could understand.. They aren't doing this every day either just 2-3 times a week but I was surprised when the Crawshayi scaled the side of her enclosure.
Thanks for the response, I'll keep a close eye on them to see if I need to change anything.--and HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!

Last edited: