How I pack sub adult-adult's

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not trying to interfere with Ryans packing thread, lol. Recently, some people have been asking me how I pack my larger ones. So, instead of re-typing it all everytime, I've decided to make a thread. Keep in mind that this example is for shipping during winter. Pics to follow along with step by step directions.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Starting off:

With the softest piece of paper towels, tear off one piece.

Fold it like so, and slightly mist it:

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Take another piece and fold like this:

Pack it in like so

Take another piece and fold and do the same, but on the opposite side

Take another piece, hold just like you did, this time stack it ontop of the other folded one like so

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Side view

Then I take another piece and tear it,

Fold it,

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And place it like before, but in the inside of the others:

Then lightly mist

Example of several others

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Let it crawl in, and it'll find the hole and settle in:

Then fold another piece

And place it ontop like so

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anywhere you think it could squeeze out, fill it in

And you're ready for the box now

Empty

Line the bottom with a couple pages

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is pretty good!

I use single sheets and simply mold them to the outside of the container. But this method looks better. How do you convince the hentzis to be good? The arboreals tend to snuggle down easily but IME the big terrestrials will get into walking mode and refuse to stay put.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Put it in on one side

Pack it like no other making it very hard for it to be moved

If you're not using a heat pack, just keep packing and packing until you think it is good enough. If you are, fold a piece like this:

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is pretty good!

I use single sheets and simply mold them to the outside of the container. But this method looks better. How do you convince the hentzis to be good? The arboreals tend to snuggle down easily but IME the big terrestrials will get into walking mode and refuse to stay put.

I yet to have an aggressive aphono. I usually get them out with my hand, let them walk around a bit, then eventually, they walk right into that hole and do not move. On the other hand, just finished packing a female ornata... :eek:

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Make a divider

Pack that side also, but be sure and have room in the middle of that side for the heat pack.

Once it is in there and well packed, place another piece ontop, and you're ready to ship!

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hope this helps some people that are just learning to pack T's and such. Now I have to get back to packing.. :rolleyes:

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Want to add some things:
If you are shipping during the summer, misting would be a bad idea. It could turn the inside of the box into a sauna and possibly cook the T. Bubble wrap is a good idea also when packing, I am just down to news paper as of right now. :p

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great step by step, Austin. Amazing how the pokie just settled right in. Almost like a dog who you told to "sit."

Well done!:clap: Thanks for the abundance of photos.

Any news of the crawshayi mating? No sac yet? I'm the most impatient person I know!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Want to add some things:
If you are shipping during the summer, misting would be a bad idea. It could turn the inside of the box into a sauna and possibly cook the T. Bubble wrap is a good idea also when packing, I am just down to news paper as of right now. :p
I do the opposite, I always moisten my paper towels in the summer. The moisture is added protection from high temps. Matter of fact most shippers moisten their paper towels in the summer. And with no doas I see no reason to stop doing that.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Matter of fact most shippers moisten their paper towels in the summer.
Because if the inside of the container is hot enough to evaporate that much water, the T is toast anyway. The water provides moisture for the T to drink.

-Sean

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I must be doing something wrong. Two out of the three boxes shipped on Wed were almost DOA's. Either the heat packs went out too early, or it is just too damn cold. Think I'll stick with shipping in the summer. God, what a bummer. Any suggestions would be great. Especially from Ryan, I mean you're like a shipping God eh.

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It's probably the weather, i live in NC and it has been really cold lately. We have lows in the 20s, even 10s.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hopefully. I shipped to PA and Fresno CA. Another one is on its way to Arizona City, AZ. Well I let them know that if both do not pull through, I will resend something they would be interested in. But hopefully they will..