i'm new! my red knee isnt eating

my red knee

Arachnopeon
hey guys i just signed up here HI!
i've had my red knee for five weeks and it just molted 2 days ago...its beautiful but it wont eat...i put a few crickets in his cage and he got so scared when they would come near him...is he still vulerable after his molt? i am getting a bit worried because why would he be afraid of his food. he has been hiding under his wood hut thing and hasnt come out...i wish he would be more active because i am pretty sure his skin has fully hardened!:?

Thrasher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i've had my red knee for five weeks and it just molted 2 days ago...its beautiful but it wont eat...i put a few crickets in his cage and he got so scared when they would come near him...is he still vulerable after his molt? i am getting a bit worried because why would he be afraid of his food. he has been hiding under his wood hut thing and hasnt come out...i wish he would be more active because i am pretty sure his skin has fully hardened!:?
Do not freak out, the red knee is probabbly laughting at you. It is fine when a T refuses his food 2 days after he molted. FIRST of all...take all of the food out from its cage, second, make sure he has a full waterdish. Depends on how big is the T, it may take up to a couple weeks for it to be rdy to eat again. Leave him alone and he will be just fine.

Don't lose sleep over this hehe

Harry

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's normal for a t to take 2 weeks to firm up enough after a molt to eat. I've never seen a t eat before 5 days and that's for small slings that harden faster than big adults.

It's good (critical) practice to make sure no prey items are in there during and after the molt. Crickets can actually eat your t when it's that vulnerable.

As a side note, have you read this? http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=40987

It contains a wealth of useful starter info. many of your questions will probably be answered there.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your tarantula is hiding because he could become the crickets' dinner! Tarantulas (depending on size) need at least a solid week before they can eat again. Their fangs take some time to harden. If it were to try and eat too soon, they could break! Wait at least 5 more days (more, preferably) and then offer food again. Once he is ready, he will eat. :)

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You need to look at your T's fangs, when they are black again your T should be ready to start eating again. Until then don't bother it to much and make sure it has plenty of fresh water.

my red knee

Arachnopeon
thanks

hey thanks everyone
once i removed the food my lil guy came out from hiding...you were right...i am not used to this T because i had a Rose before and he ate like 5 to 8 crickets a week....i had to feed him all the time and he was very active so i thought something was wrong with my red knee but i guess diff species behave differently...good lesson!

xoxox

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm glad to hear it's up and about.

By the way, 5-8 crix a week is far more than necessary. For an adult t 2-3 big crickets once a week is still a rich diet. 2-3 crix every second week is ok for a t like G rosea or B smithi who have slow metabolisms. A tarantula in nature never knows when it will find it's next meal. That's why if the food is there they'll eat themselves into obesity which causes problems with molts and makes them much more likely to sustain a serious injury from a fall of just a few inches.

Profkrakatoa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Welcome to the boards. In general I would say wait at least another week before offering food. Yes, he's still vulnerable, even if it seems he's back to normal.

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wait a minimum of a week, even for my smallest of slings (who is currently 3/8"). You don't say how big your kiddo is, but I'd say wait at least two weeks if it's over and inch DSL. Just make sure the strate is moist enough for it to stay hydrated, unless it's over 2" DSL, in which case you can give a small water dish if you haven't already.

Pestilence

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
a week would be the safest bet. if it still doesnt eat try again the next day ... and the next day... then the next day....