Collecting near Socorro, NM

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like I'll be headed to Socorro, NM, for some training in late August and just thought I'd check to see if anyone is familiar with the area (Just south of Albuquerque) or collecting in that area. Altitude in the city is roughly 4,600 ft and Socorro Mountain is around 7,500 ft. I would assume the lower altitudes would be better.

I posted the above in the tarantula forum, but I'm really interested in collecting some pedes in the area. Other than a small stone centipede I collected in my backyard, I've never done any pede collecting. I'm open for tips, suggestions, or just general info on where to look for them.

Thanks,

Botar

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Botar-

I've never been to that area, but I have collected pedes in desert areas. One thing I've found effective is to go to cattle-grazing pastures and look for mostly-dried cow pattys and flip them over. Since these things act as moisture resuvoirs, many inverts take shelter under them. I have collected many, many S. polymorphas this way. Have your collecting container ready, they don't stay still for long!

It's good to use a snake hook for the flipping ;)

Wade

PrincessToad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Botar-

I am not into collecting centipedes, but I work in Albuquerque and I find them all of the time in my office. I have no idea what kind they are (except orangish brown, long and hissy). =D

I have one right now that I am trying to figure out how to turn loose. He is in my wall behind the socket I can see an end at the top and bottom of the socket, so he is pretty big. I am a little scared to just remove the socket. Sorry little off the subject, but anyway I find them daily during the summer in my office. Co workers told me its because they are looking for moisture. I have also during hikes found them near small streams. I hoped some of this helped. If you want to know more about surrounding areas let me know. I also found a T during a hike not too far from Socorro in the Magdalena mountains (in the month of November).

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wade,

Thanks. I think I heard Atrax talking about that same method. I'll give it a flip and see how it works.

SpiderGirl,

How big are the pedes in your office? If you can, catch one and get a picture of it. I may have to stop by your office and do some collecting. I'm sure it would beat the heat.

Botar

PrincessToad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Botar

Sorry I can't get a pic up. The cute little puppy pictured in my avatar thought that my digital camera was quite tastey! :mad: Gotta luv 'em.

I finally got the pede out of the wall and he was (besides very angry with me ;) ) 6 in. long. He seemed to be about the average size of what I catch and release. My office is located in an industrial area that is starting to be over developed, so you wouldn't believe what I see.