PDA

View Full Version : What is going on?!?!?!

kitty_b
01-30-2008, 09:36 AM
so after i lost my a. avicularia and h. maculata females to a long,d rawn out illness that caused them to huddle/spaz on the ground and refuse food/water until they died, my 3"+ freshly molted male t. blondi is in a dead curl in his water dish.

last night i noticed that he was huddled in his dish, and i used a q-tip to touch his leg. he responded, though sluggish. i figured it was just due to the molt.

this morning i find him back in the dish, curled and unresponsive. i don't know if he's dead yet, so i put him in an ICU and put him in my closet.

this is really starting to break my heart, and i can't come up for any explanations...

Isaacboda
01-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Has your house ever been pest bombed.. anything airborne that could be killing em off? What kind of substrate are they on and what have you been feeding them?

Sylvi
01-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Hi, this is really sad, you must be feeling awfull. If it were me I would start looking at things that link all 3 T's - Substrate, food, and outside factors like household sprays.

kitty_b
01-30-2008, 10:03 AM
no fumigations/pest control. no insecticides on my pets.

same bag of peat moss i've always used. in fact, the ones who have died haven't had a housing change in a long time.

they're fed off my b. lateralis colony, mostly. once in a blue moon i've bought crickets, but haven't had any problems with that.

what's driving me insane is that i haven't changed anything about my husbandry. i had a sudden die-off of 4 GBB slings a few months ago, all within a day or so of each other. it was also never explained.

EDIT- my husband just admitted to using a deodorizing spray after he cleans. he doesn't spray at the cages, but it may be the culprit. :( (we live in a 1 bedroom apartment, so it's a confined space.)

Isaacboda
01-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Do you smoke?

Sylvi
01-30-2008, 10:08 AM
How about a contaminated water dish? Have you washed them out with something and then not rinsed them thoroughly? All your other T's are ok?

Edit - It may be that spray. Room refreshner is quite strong and the little droplets could have gone in the tanks.

kitty_b
01-30-2008, 10:09 AM
no one smokes. and i only rinse the dishes with warm water, and never move dishes from one cage to another.

Sylvi
01-30-2008, 10:12 AM
I'd go with the spray. Throw the tin away and wait to see if you have a recurrence.

xhexdx
01-30-2008, 10:25 AM
I would look at the label on the spray and see if it's safe or not for animals in general. I'm sure they don't list arachnids on there but you still might be able to gauge its potency better that way.

I still think if that were the issue though, that it would be affecting every tarantula in your collection.

I seem to remember you mentioning in your last thread about it that you fed both of those spiders out of sequence from your others. Do you still think contaminated food might have been the source and might be for your T. blondi as well?

How newly molted did you say it was? I probably would have put him in an ICU the second I saw him curled up like that, assuming it's been a few days since the molt.

I hope it all works out for you.

kitty_b
01-30-2008, 10:34 AM
this boy often huddled, so i didn't think much of it.

and yes, i'd fed the other two out of sequence, but this guy got fed on the "main" schedule.

the can doesn't say if it's safe/harmful for pets. just warns to not spray in your eyes. :rolleyes:

his symptoms also don't match the other two. but right now i just can't come up with anything that would have caused these events. it may have been unrelated. it may have just been his time for all i know.

i just don't know what i'm going to do if this continues. i have over 130 tarantulas and no where else to move them.

xhexdx
01-30-2008, 10:52 AM
I have plenty of extra space in my T room for them. ;)

After all, you're only three states north. :D

bushbuster
01-30-2008, 11:41 AM
I quit using any type of air fresheners, bug sprays, furniture polish sprays...etc, etc. upon acquiring my Tarantulas, although I do smoke. So now I have a stinky bug infestated dusty house, but the Tarantulas are happy, lol.

Tunedbeat
01-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Do you keep other pets? (dogs, cats)

kitty_b
01-30-2008, 12:29 PM
i have 5 cats and a dog. but they don't bother the tarantulas, and i haven't used flea medications on them.

kingfarvito
01-30-2008, 01:33 PM
are your roaches dieing off?

kitty_b
01-30-2008, 02:08 PM
my roaches aren't dying off. :( just a couple here and there, normal in a big colony.

my only problem with them is that i can't get them to breed fast enough. (not a strong enough heat source to stimulate them.)

Thrasher
01-30-2008, 02:50 PM
dang you have a little zoo in there, 130 Ts 5 cats and a dog....

i have 5 cats and a dog. but they don't bother the tarantulas, and i haven't used flea medications on them.

xhexdx
01-30-2008, 03:10 PM
dang you have a little zoo in there, 130 Ts 5 cats and a dog....

You should see what I have...

And I'm sure there are others with more than me!

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/member.php?u=12438

kitty_b
01-30-2008, 03:38 PM

haha, i would be more like you, talkenlate, reptist, etc if i had the room. living in a 820 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment, with a husband, and me only making $14k/year (graduate student) has kept my enthusiasm curbed. ;)

just wait till i have a house and my own room to dedicate to my hobby (rather than 2 shelves in the living room). i forsee a return to reptiles as well as a LOT more tarantulas. :}

DeTwan
01-30-2008, 03:45 PM

Holly crap that is alot of animals... my co-workers look at me like I'm insane when I tell them I have 13 T's ,but I look normal compared to you...;P

kitty_b
01-30-2008, 03:48 PM
i just did the count. 135. still more than you ;P

that's after about 10 deaths in the last few months. :(

xhexdx
01-30-2008, 03:55 PM
i just did the count. 135. still more than you ;P

that's after about 10 deaths in the last few months. :(

Yeah, I know.

I'd have that many if the spiders I ordered actually existed...
...long story.

I'd have 19 more, so you'd still have more than me.

But...I have a few projects going so that'll bump me up pretty quickly, if that even counts. :}

kitty_b
01-30-2008, 03:57 PM
i hope and pray that my MM e. murinus did a "good job" and will reward me with 1/2 a sac later this year.

he got eaten by his GF while he was away :(

smof
01-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Sorry to hear that kitty b. Could just be really bad luck but I know that doesn't make it any better :(

I wanna see a pic of your spider room :D

desertdweller
01-30-2008, 05:19 PM
So sorry, Kitty. Have no inkling on what is going on. All the best to your E mirinus and the rest.

Steveyruss
01-30-2008, 06:30 PM
That sucks, I have a Smithi spiderling which just died for no reason.

Maybe you are just having really terrible luck.

Gesticulator
01-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Wow, too strange of a coincidence. SOMETHING is getting to the tarantulas. I hope you do find the culprit.

xhexdx
01-31-2008, 10:24 AM
I wanna see a pic of your spider room :D

I'll get one after it's all cleaned out. Right now it's full of boxes and crap from rearranging the house. Once it's clear, I'll get some pictures up. It's nothing compared to ChrisNCT's room though!

arrowhd
01-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Does this look anything like what is happening to your T's? http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=115411

xhexdx
01-31-2008, 02:32 PM
Does this look anything like what is happening to your T's? http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=115411

I'll answer for her. :}

No.

Heh.

kitty_b
01-31-2008, 02:48 PM
both my girls who had longer, drawn out deaths did fail around when disturbed to any extent. unlike that tarantula, they didn't tend to move unless a breeze or vibration occurred. but they did spaz out and moved in an illogical manner.

i supposed it could be called DS because it's just symptoms, and not a direct indication of the cause. looking back, i wish i had tried to hand-feed/water the girls, but i was honestly afraid of doing more harm than good.

my larger t. blondi male who just molted (not the one who died) had similar symptoms, but thankfully he was near a molt and able to pull through on his own. hopefully he won't relapse.

kitty_b
02-22-2008, 11:57 AM
the larger t. blondi male ("monster") relapsed soon after his molt. he would display a frantic, spastic throwing of the legs into the air whenever disturbed. i had to get him a smaller water dish because he would crawl into the big dish and pretty much lay down in it (and i was worried about him submerging his abdomen).

last night i found him dead in his hide pot.

the only thing consoling me is that i knew he had not been well for a while. i can only hope that no one else develops the same symptoms. we haven't had any "new cases" since my husband stopped using febreeze in the living room.

:( :( :(

Aarantula
02-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Do you live in an Apt.?... It's possible that someone living around you or even next door is spraying some sort of insecticide and it's getting carried through the ventilation into your T room. Sounds far fetched but stranger things have happened...

arrowhd
02-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Hmmm, not good. Must be very discouraging. The T that I have that is displaying DS symptoms is still alive and believe it or not eating. No other symptoms in the rest of my collection. I have to believe this is something different. Wish I could help.
Keith

Travis K
02-22-2008, 02:03 PM
:( (we live in a 1 bedroom apartment, so it's a confined space.)

Apartment building will spray for spiders with out notifying residents. I know this... I used to be an apartment manager.

Travis K
02-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Do you live in an Apt.?... It's possible that someone living around you or even next door is spraying some sort of insecticide and it's getting carried through the ventilation into your T room. Sounds far fetched but stranger things have happened...

it is not far fetched, it happens all the time. In my area they spray for Hobo Spiders.

Truff135
02-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Now I'm getting a little worried, I sprayed some personal body spray stuff (like from Bath and Body) the other night around my b.boehmei's tank, not even thinking about it affecting her....I think I need to start watching for any funky stuff. :(
I hope Febreeze is all it was; I can't imagine losing that many t's in such a short amount of time, especially in the way you're losing them. :(

desertdweller
02-23-2008, 05:18 AM
I'm so sorry Kitty b. How hard not to know. I too wish I had some brainstorm and could tell you what it is.