milli: mixing up substrate

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wanted to know if it could kill the milli babies that are in the fecal pellets if I would mix up the substrate to put new substrate (taken from the bottom of the tank) to the surface. Why do I want to that? Because I have 8 AGBs in the tank and the surface is only fecal pellets covered of peat moss. I don't want to kill any of the eggs that are in the fecal pellets, is it dangerous to put the fecal pellets down in the substrate?

Thanks, Frank

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
It could possible harm some of them, particularly new hatchlings or break fresh eggs open. If I were going to bring the bottom up to the top, why not just get another tub, put the large milli's in a delicup and place the empty tub on top the old one, and then while holding them tightly together, just turn them over all at once, very quickly. This should bring the bottom to the top without too much damage to eggs or tiny youngsters.

With my millipedes though, I just add more peat and oak leaves to the top of the tub. The milli's will eventually stir it up for you as they burow in and out of it... Even with the suggestion at the beginning I would add some new over top the new top... It's likely to be very damp and needing some fresh to get worked in.

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The top isn't damn at all. But I'll move a big of substrate, thanks.

Frank