Tarantula of the unkown kind.

Aubrey Sidwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tarantula of the unknown kind.

I recently received some tarantulas I purchased as Euathlus sp. "chilean fire". What I received looks nothing like what I had imagined and I would like some help in possibly identifying them or at the very least figuring out what genus they are in if it turns out they are not Euathlus. I am providing some photos for you to look at which include unsexed adults and a mature male. I have never posted in the "Picture ID" section of this forum so it was easier for me to post it here.

Unsexed

Unsexed "abdomen"

Unsexed "ventral"

Mature male "tibial hook"

Mature male "embolus"

Last edited:

gride225

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i also have a Euthalus sp. Chilean fire. I was told they are not Grammostola sp. and I gave the dealer the benefit of the doubt. they seem to act like G Rosea but mine looks very similar to yours. how are you keeping him, terrestrial set-up?

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
+1
Usual G. rosea RCF and has nothing in common with any of known Euathlus sp.
Any close-up of the scopula?

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've bought the same "Euathlus sp." before from Mark Lucas. It's a G rosea RCF.

Aubrey Sidwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i also have a Euthalus sp. Chilean fire. I was told they are not Grammostola sp. and I gave the dealer the benefit of the doubt. they seem to act like G Rosea but mine looks very similar to yours. how are you keeping him, terrestrial set-up?
I have not set them up in permanent homes yet. They are in deli cups but will be moving into larger shoebox sized sterilite containers with a water dish and 3-4 inches of coir substrate.

+1
Usual G. rosea RCF and has nothing in common with any of known Euathlus sp.
Any close-up of the scopula?
I have not tried to get a photo of the scoplua but I can try and post it up here later. My camera may not be able to get close enough for the detail level needed.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I vote RCF rosea too, you can even see a slight pink tint on the carapace.

Aubrey Sidwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice G. rosea! {D
Thats what happens when you buy from an importer. They don't usually provide photos and they don't always know what they are selling. I take the risk because it usually works in my favor. In this case I didn't give much for them so even if they turn out to be G. rosea RCF I don't care.:cool:

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Euathlus sp.

If that spider is Grammastola rosea where is the mirror patch on the abdomen, I'm guessing they walk w/ a strange gate as well usualy keeping the 3rd leg elevated in some strange posture, I have also had them and have also compared them to the RCF rosea and the differances are slight but are there, I noticed it most in the way they move, they just dont act like rosea, and its consistant w/ all of the specimen I have had, I have C/B babies now @ the eggs w/ legs stage and have sold a few adults as E. sp chilean fire, which I bought them as and everyone that has seen them up close seems to notice the differances as well, pix do not do this sp. justice as I'm sure the OP can attest to, my money would have to rest on Paraphysa or Euathlus sp. although in photos they do look verry much like G rosea RCF, if you see them in person especialy next to a G rosea RCF you can tell the differance not only in appearance but also in the way they act, PEACE, B.

View attachment 69345

View attachment 69346

View attachment 69347

View attachment 69348

View attachment 69349

Last edited:

ChondroGirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does not look like any Euathlus species that I have ever seen. It's carapace definitely looks like G. rosea. Even the legs and setae look rosea, probably red color phase.