PDA

View Full Version : can tarantulas hear?

xBurntBytheSunx
07-12-2003, 02:26 AM
i was wondering if my t enjoys listening to my music :D

Bob the thief
07-12-2003, 02:31 AM
It is probably bothered by it. Tarantulas are very sensitive to any vibration. All mines turn very agitated when people stop cars on my block blasting music.

vulpina
07-12-2003, 07:49 AM
I would agree with Bob, since they are sensitive to vibrations, I would think that if music were played too loud the vibrations would disturbe them.

Andy

Code Monkey
07-12-2003, 08:38 AM
I'd think you both think wrong as I've seen many posts from people who listen to extremely loud music in the presence of their Ts and get no reaction.

They do appear to be able to pseudo-hear with their ability to pick up atmospheric vibrations (some have reported them learning to react to their caretaker's voice versus other human voices), but they also seem quite capable of adapting to tune out any non-important vibrations.

vulpina
07-12-2003, 08:43 AM
Ok Code, I was just guessing at that, but assumed since they pick up vibrations that the vibrations from loud music would also confuse the T's. I know that when I walk into my T room if my Cobalt or Indian Violet are out the vibrations from walking cause them to rush down their burrows. And I understand that walking is not a constant vibration like music, so maybe they can tune out the consant vibrations.

Andy

deifiler
07-12-2003, 09:06 AM
My P.Regalis used to come out of it's nest when I played cannibal corpse. Even though it was due to the vibrations scaring/luring it out it still was pretty nifty seeing it come out to certain tunes...

Anyway I've moved my speakers now and it's stopped.

Oh one thing I did notice that was interesting... even witht he music on loud ebough to provoke movement from the spider... It could still distinguish the movement of prey and succesffully catch it

xBurntBytheSunx
07-12-2003, 10:48 AM
hahaha does your tarantula prefer cannibal corpse better with chris barnes or george corpsegrinder?

SpiderFood
07-12-2003, 11:11 AM
I would hope Barnes definitly. LMAO

Code Monkey
07-12-2003, 12:13 PM
I would say that science has only begun to delve into how sensitive Ts and other spiders are to sound/vibrations. The simplistic version of conventional wisdom says they're deaf because no dedicated and centralized hearing organ is present, but I'm willing to bet we're going to find their whole body is a "hearing" organ. They're probably far more discrimination in picking up and distinguishing important from non-important sounds/vibrations than any sentient hairless ape can manage.

jesses
07-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by deifiler
My P.Regalis used to come out of it's nest when I played cannibal corpse. Even though it was due to the vibrations scaring/luring it out it still was pretty nifty seeing it come out to certain tunes...

My Tarantulas don't care about music, but if I play anything by Basement Jaxx, all of my Avicularia (Avic, Versicolor, Metallica) will come out of their webs and start making circles around their enclosure. I have 8 genus of Tarantula and only the Avicularia respond to Basement Jaxx.

skinheaddave
07-12-2003, 03:57 PM
Do you have any arboreals other than Avicularia?

WARNING: The following is pure speculation

I have no idea about Ts, but for scorpions, vibrations can be broken into two catagories. Vibrations coming through the ground are picked up by slit sensilae in the legs, wheras airborne vibrations are picked up by structures such as the trichborthria on the chela -- basicaly "hairs." This is an oversimplification, but that is the basics. So, if tarantulas also have structures specialized for airborne and ground-based vibrations it would make sense that arboreal tarantulas would be adapted to detect airborne vibrations moreso than terrestrial Ts. Avicularia DO have incredibly long setae (one of the reasons I don't like them) which should be particularily attuned to airborne vibrations. So perhaps your avics are "hearing" the music moreso than your other Ts. As for speculations on their musical taste, I'm not going to touch that one. :)

Cheers,
Dave

crash769
07-12-2003, 06:44 PM
My A. Avic comes out of her web when I play music or have my T.V. lould. She seems to be the only one to respond to it.

deifiler
07-12-2003, 06:57 PM
Well, if you consider that 'hearing' is merely soundwaves, airbourne vibrations caused by different pressures, then vibrating against our ear drum, then the rest of the ear, where the vibrations are transfered into actual 'sounds' in the cochlea (Sorry if that's incorrect but I havn't studied this for years!)

We could do with better information on the process of human and other animal hearing..

With that in mind though, could tarantulas simply feeling the soundwaves be classed as hearing?

Oh and its George they like! I mainly play the live cannibalism CD :D

skinheaddave
07-12-2003, 07:01 PM
I don't think you can count feeling of the sound-waves as hearing unless the nervous system is set up in such a way as to interpret the vibration as sound. The cochlea basically has different parts attuned to different frequencies and this is what allows us to hear the different frequencies. I know that Ts can feel the vibrations, but I don't imagine they interpret it as sound at all.

Cheers,
Dave

deifiler
07-12-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by skinheaddave
I don't think you can count feeling of the sound-waves as hearing unless the nervous system is set up in such a way as to interpret the vibration as sound. The cochlea basically has different parts attuned to different frequencies and this is what allows us to hear the different frequencies. I know that Ts can feel the vibrations, but I don't imagine they interpret it as sound at all.

Cheers,
Dave

Ahh that's good enough for the hypothesis of "tarantulas can't hear" to be formed for me.

pelo
07-12-2003, 07:14 PM
I imagine Code Monkey's T's know his presence...all those bad vibrations he gives off...;P ....lol....peace...

Code Monkey
07-12-2003, 07:45 PM
I don't think you can count feeling of the sound-waves as hearing unless the nervous system is set up in such a way as to interpret the vibration as sound. The cochlea basically has different parts attuned to different frequencies and this is what allows us to hear the different frequencies. I know that Ts can feel the vibrations, but I don't imagine they interpret it as sound at all.That's a mighty subjective definition of hearing you got, Dave.

Sure, it's probably a safe bet to say that because of how different the T CNS is that they don't hear vibrations the same way we do, but it's also so different that they don't probably sense ANY vibration the same way we do.

They sense the same vibrations that we do as sound, but how its interpreted is pure speculation. I find it safe to say they "sense/hear" vibrations because there's no way to know what their perception of it is as all. That they're picking up on auditory (to us) vibrations means that in so far as you can make comparisons they are sensing and/or hearing sound (which is nothing more than a particular set of wavelengths of airborne vibration that our organs are sensitive to picking up an our CNS wired to create a thought that we perceive as sounds).

xBurntBytheSunx
07-12-2003, 09:27 PM
"Oh and its George they like! I mainly play the live cannibalism CD"

good deal, i was at the show where they recorded half of that album. george pointed right at my friend and said "I WILL KILL YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU " one of the more memorable shows i've been to.

Tamara
07-12-2003, 09:46 PM
Nice thread!
I think that the end justifies the means, in this case. Sound is vibration, and being able to perceive and react to that vibration is, loosely speaking, hearing.
It could just be a discussion of semantics--does hearing necessitate having an ear? If so, then T's don't hear. But we know they're listening.:?
Tamara

arcane
07-12-2003, 09:51 PM
*random drunken philosophical rant*

There's this article by this guy named Nagel, something like "What It's Like to Be a Bat"... how we can never really fully comprehend the sensory world of something like a bat, because we have nothing to compare to, nothing equivilant. We think "bat sonar" and we think of some predator like vision system, but it is closer to hearing.

Anyway.. they can detect sound waves, I'd say that qualifies as hearing in my book. Sure, it may not be like ours, but their vision is along different spectrums they still "see".

Here's a link to the Nagel article for the academic types with too much time on their hands:

nagel link (http://members.aol.com/NeoNoetics/Nagel_Bat.html)

Code Monkey
07-13-2003, 04:31 PM
Avicularia DO have incredibly long setae (one of the reasons I don't like them)... delayed reaction - it took me 24 hours for this to bounce around the subconscious enough...

Is this some sort of skinhead bias, Dave, you got something against the Ts with long hair?

skinheaddave
07-13-2003, 05:29 PM
Chip,

Yes, actualy. I tend to like the less fuzzy Ts. Of course I like scorps, so go figure. But truly, I like short haired Ts, short haired dogs, non-poofy birds, I hate short-haired cats less etc. etc. It is an aesthetic.

As for my subjective definition of hearing, that it is. It is all about how I imagine things to be perceived. Do we "hear" the wind in our hair? You see, I don't expect my hesitancy to call it hearing stand up to your standards or anyone else's. I just don't feel comfortable calling it hearing beyond in a sort of loose fashion (like my previous post).

Cheers,
Dave

Diao
07-13-2003, 10:50 PM
My old Emporer became incredibly aggressive when I played Venetian Snares. Understandable, but my rosie pays no attention to the music I'm listening to, be it harsh and abrasive or mellow and ambient.

Mad Scientist
07-14-2003, 12:19 AM
I believe that I read somewhere to determine whether or not a T can detect airborne vibrations, is to shout something in their direction from a distance. ("distance" being the operative word as to not actually startle them by a blast of air; making them run becuase you breathed on them)

If the soundwaves from the shout causes them to run. You know they sense vibrations.

But in all honesty who wants to look like an idot shouting at a T? ;P

Ultimate Instar
07-14-2003, 04:02 PM
I gave two of my Ts a hearing test. Since I do hearing tests on my husband's patients, I tried out my C. cyaneopubescens and B. pallidum on the audiology equipment. I put them in the audiology booth (sound-proof room)and put the headphones on top of the cage. (No, it wasn't possible to put the headphones on the T. :)) I tested them out at on tones between 125 Hertz to 10,000 Hz and at up to 100 decibels. The Ts were at 2 inches and 5 inches away from the headphones. That means that they weren't getting tested with the full 100 decibels but that is still fairly loud. I didn't see any reactions from them when I turned on the tones. This either means that they don't care or they don't hear the sound. 125 Hz is pretty low-pitched so I suspect that they sensed vibrations from that. I should try this out on a more nervous specimen, but I suspect that even if they can hear it, loud noises don't bother them very much. A better experiment would be to try to condition them with food to respond to different sounds.

Karen N.

MizM
07-14-2003, 04:27 PM
Chip,

Yes, actualy. I tend to like the less fuzzy Ts. Of course I like scorps, so go figure. But truly, I like short haired Ts, short haired dogs, non-poofy birds, I hate short-haired cats less etc. etc. It is an aesthetic.

As for my subjective definition of hearing, that it is. It is all about how I imagine things to be perceived. Do we "hear" the wind in our hair? You see, I don't expect my hesitancy to call it hearing stand up to your standards or anyone else's. I just don't feel comfortable calling it hearing beyond in a sort of loose fashion (like my previous post).

Cheers,
Dave

Hey now, my husband's a long haired hippie! We just cut off 16" and sent it to "Locks of Love" and it's STILL long... so no slams!!=D

Great idea Karen!!!

My neighbor is completely deaf (from birth) and he's kinda more sensitive to the bass portions when we play music. He can feel them very clearly..... but is he "hearing?""If a tree falls in the forests, and no ne is there to hear it, does it make a noise?"

xBurntBytheSunx
07-15-2003, 01:40 AM
my t doesn't seem to mind hearing extol near full volume so i guess it must not bother him much.