Hunting in Florida

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tomorrow I'm going to Molino, FL and I'm going to go myriapod hunting :) My question is, are there really any interesting millipede/centipede species in the area? I know how to take care of pedes, but not where to find them. I'll look under any rocks I find. I'll also be on the lookout for spiders, scorps, other inverts, and reptiles. Does anybody have any tips to give? Thanks.

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
as a florida resident, during this rainy season, you are going to be tripping over pedes! there are tons of little yellowand brown millipedes which grow into bigger black and red millipedes in almost every large park, or I even saw some yesterday outside of an ATM next to a little tree. several little centipedes under rocks, too. good luck!

Kristin:D

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sorry, didn't finish reading before responding! i literally stepped on a green snake coming into my home today, all of florida's exotics are in heavy abundance right now!

Kristin:8o

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you for all of the info. I'm back, but I didn't find a single myriapod. I did, however, find various insects, lizards, snakes, spiders, and such that I had never seen in my life. Most were beautiful. I saw loads of calico spiders and black and yellow argiope. I also came across a few stray cats. My favorite part of it was at night. Every step I took, about 5 toadlets hopped out of the ground. I picked them up and studied them for a while. The last night there, I picked up a nice sized one that was very active and put him in my catching jar. They all had tail stumps left (it's so cute). I'm keeping him until he gets too old, then I guess I'll go back to Fl and let him go. He's sitting here by me as I type this :)