Attempted escape

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I had an extra pinkie left over after snake feedings today so I figured I'd give it to my new 'pede. I open the lid and put it in front of her and *bam* she is out over the edge and running across the floor.

Amid a stream of obscenities, I managed to get her cupped and then transfered to a big tupperware. I then transfered her back to her enclosure. At that point I went and made a new enclosure out of a deep tub so that I have a bit more time to react. Anyhow, I learned a few things today:

- I should not be dealing with my 'pedes when I am extremely tired
- 'pedes still freak me out far more than any scorpion or T
- even when freaked out, I still have enough presence of mind to deal with the situation (important from a safety standpoint)
- 'pedes are mui cool. I got a real chance to watch it move around and try to escape and stuff. In many ways, they are much more versatile than any other anthropod. I almost want to make a little jungle gym type setup, you know.

Anyhow, this experience probably means there are more 'pedes in my future.

Cheers,
Dave

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Amid a stream of obscenities...
Now that I would have liked to have seen. I don't think I heard as much as a cross word out of you during the whole ATS trip.

I must agree with you on the pedes though... I have plans for more in my future too.

Botar

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I tend not to swear much. Tonight probably brough my yearly average up to par, though. :)

If you don't get more, I'm sure Emma will. :)

Cheers,
Dave

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

haha, i agree with this.

a few weeks ago i was trying to film my centipede eating an anole. so i take the lid off the enclosure i have it in, started filming, then dropped the anole in. well the centipede went crazy as soon as i dropped the anole in and started wigging out, and pushed itself up the enclosure's wall, and was like || that close from being able to reach the top and get out. anyway, as soon as i saw this, i FREAKED, dropped my camera and screamed (OH MY GOD!) and threw the lid on so fast i coudlnt believe it.

then i went and watched the video on my computer like 50 times becuase it was HILARIOUS. then i went to delete a different video, and deleted this by accident, and emptied my recycle bin before i realized i deleted the wrong video :-\

MacCleod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: Re: Attempted escape

Originally posted by neveragain
haha, i agree with this.

a few weeks ago i was trying to film my centipede eating an anole. so i take the lid off the enclosure i have it in, started filming, then dropped the anole in. well the centipede went crazy as soon as i dropped the anole in and started wigging out, and pushed itself up the enclosure's wall, and was like || that close from being able to reach the top and get out. anyway, as soon as i saw this, i FREAKED, dropped my camera and screamed (OH MY GOD!) and threw the lid on so fast i coudlnt believe it.

then i went and watched the video on my computer like 50 times becuase it was HILARIOUS. then i went to delete a different video, and deleted this by accident, and emptied my recycle bin before i realized i deleted the wrong video :-\
Then film it again :p

No...I'm sure it's a serious matter when these guys escape. Certainly when you have kids running around :eek:
Maybe when I have my own house and stuff, I might buy one of these...but not now...my mom will kick me out I guess :D

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
I might buy one of these...but not now...my mom will kick me out I guess
hey MacCleod, i guess you're gonna be kicked out of your parents house sooner then you can imagine :)

i promised you some eggs, but i'll give you an extra surprise, hope you'll like it,.... hint hint, hiss hiss hisss,......

greetz

MacCleod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by gongyles
hey MacCleod, i guess you're gonna be kicked out of your parents house sooner then you can imagine :)

i promised you some eggs, but i'll give you an extra surprise, hope you'll like it,.... hint hint, hiss hiss hisss,......

greetz
=D
Hmm...talking about hissing cockroaches ??? Wiii...I certainly like those guys too...and hey...an insectarium more or less...who cares :D :p
I tell my parents it's just another huge beetle...cause if they know I keep cockroaches.....:eek: :D

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

- I should not be dealing with my 'pedes when I am extremely tired
- even when freaked out, I still have enough presence of mind to deal with the situation (important from a safety standpoint)
- 'pedes are mui cool. I got a real chance to watch it move around and try to escape and stuff. In many ways, they are much more versatile than any other anthropod. I almost want to make a little jungle gym type setup, you know.

Anyhow, this experience probably means there are more 'pedes in my future.

Cheers,
Dave

Sounds like a win-win situation to me! Education for you and neighbors for the centipede! I can relate on every point. Before I kept centipedes I would occasionally have dreams that my T's were escaping. It was realistic except for the fact that the spiders were 3x life size and super-intelligent. I never did catch one. Now my only invert dreams are that my centipedes are out, and they're life-sized and no smarter than usual. Centipedes creep me out enough that they don't warrant exaggeration. They seem to me like land sharks, only without the funny costume.

Steve

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I always hated centipedes because of their look and aggressivity, but the more I read on them, the more pictures I see, the more I start liking them, maybe one day I'll get one, just for the thrill of having one centi, and maybe beating my disgustingness about those critters :) It might be very different when you know that you have one somehow dangerous animal that is really good at escaping. Instead of having a very dangerous animal that couldn't normally escape.

Frank