My Pedes Thus Far

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I finally got my camera back and took some pics of my pedes, all but the two pedelings that is. They are pretty cool even though my lighting sucked and I had to use Photoshop 7.0 to doctor the lighting. I caught 2 pedes yesterday at a friends house after he found one in his bathroom. We just had to find more. I have no clue what kind we caught. I didnt know there were anything but the little brownish red ones in Kentucky. These resemble the Southwest Tigers to me. I am not up on Pede knowledge though so maybe some suggestions? Without further adue, PICS!! First up my 6" Chinese Redhead, sorry I dont know the scientific names of any of these.

dale

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Now for the South West Pede, I have 3 of these and all are cool bugs. Very pretty and fast. Great eaters.

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry these are a little blurry, these dudes move constantly. Plus I'm not the greatest with photo editing software.

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tanzanian Neon Blue Leg

The contrast is off but you can see the bright blue of the legs. I think this and the Eqyptian Emerald are my faves so far.

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is a pic of one of the pedes we caught yesterday about 2 miles from my house. These dont look like any of the native pede pics I have seen around here. They remind me of the SW Tiger pedes only they have blue stripes on the legs. These are about 3 inches long.

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If anyone has a clue as to the scientific names of any of these feel free to chime in. Care tips, advice or just comments are welcome. I am kinda new to pedes so I wanna get this right. As for the WC pedes in KY, Anyone know what types are native to KY?

L8R and enjoy the pics

dale

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Nice collection you've got,....:D

OK, i'm gonna give it a try,....(with the scientific names)

First pede: Chinese Redhead
- Scolopendra suspines mutilans

second pede: Egyptian Emerald
- Scolopendra cingulata / or suspines species

third pede: South West Pede
- Scolopendra polymorpha / or viridis

fourth pede: Tanzanian Neon Blue Leg
- Trachycormocephalus mirabilis

last one catched: i would go for a colormorph of a polymorpha
- Scolopendra polymorpha

greetz

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
gongyles
last one catched: i would go for a colormorph of a polymorpha
- Scolopendra polymorpha

I have only heard the common name of these as Eastern Centipedes so far but I was thinking Scolopendra sp. because of the flat head and body. I am under the impression that this is a typical characteristic of Scolo. Am I pointin in the right direction on that assumption?

dale

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey, sorry but my englisch isn't so good so i don't quite understand what you're saying about that characteristic stuff, sorry,...

were are the main Scolo experts of this board when you need them? :rolleyes: :D

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by gongyles
Hey, sorry but my englisch isn't so good so i don't quite understand what you're saying about that characteristic stuff, sorry,...

were are the main Scolo experts of this board when you need them? :rolleyes: :D
Hey no prob. We can both learn something from this. Always something new popping up around here. lol

dale

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Steven, do you speak french? If yes tell me what you don't understand in what he said, I'll translate it.

Frank

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Steven, do you speak french? If yes tell me what you don't understand in what he said, I'll translate it
i apreciate you're willing to help me, but my french is even worst then my englisch "lol":D

i'm from the dutchspeaking side of Belgium :) i know it's a shame i can't speak proper french ore english :8o

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
>I have only heard the common name of these as Eastern >Centipedes so far but I was thinking Scolopendra sp. because >of the flat head and body. I am under the impression that this is >a typical characteristic of Scolo. Am I pointin in the right direction >on that assumption?

Scolopendra will have 21 to 23 pairs of legs. Smaller US centipedes will have less......................count the leg pairs

Bob