PDA

View Full Version : B. jacksoni finally!

thedude
03-11-2008, 06:58 PM
i didnt get many good pics of it but heres the best shot i got....

this is my first scorp besides emps and im normally a spider dude so any tips will be helpfull! :D

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z69/random4895/102_3227.jpg

davidbarber1
03-11-2008, 07:25 PM
NICE scorp - just don't let it tag you :eek:

thedude
03-11-2008, 07:27 PM
haha thanks and i wont :D

Thaedion
03-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey Dude!! (just had to say that)

Just curious, what is that spot on the 5th tail segment? Looks as it may be mycosis. "IheartMantids" has a B Jax with some spots similar look here http://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/scorpion-pictures-videos-f13/some-gravid-scorps-t135.htm (http://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/scorpion-pictures-videos-f13/some-gravid-scorps-t135.htm) 3rd pic down... and his didn't make it... you might want to check it out.

thedude
03-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Hey Dude!! (just had to say that)

Just curious, what is that spot on the 5th tail segment? Looks as it may be mycosis. "IheartMantids" has a B Jax with some spots similar look here http://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/scorpion-pictures-videos-f13/some-gravid-scorps-t135.htm (http://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/scorpion-pictures-videos-f13/some-gravid-scorps-t135.htm) 3rd pic down... and his didn't make it... you might want to check it out.

i looked it over and didnt find any others.. is it that bad?

Thaedion
03-11-2008, 07:48 PM
It may be a scar or mycosis (mycosis is a fungal infection that is bad) I'm not an expert on the subject either, I have a flatrock with a spot on her leg joint, been there for several months (a year in June) without a problem just growing slowly, "Iheart"s were all over his B Jax and it died eventually. Maybe someone with more experience will put their thoughts in, and maybe if you could get a closer pic of the spot it may help 'see' what it might be.

thedude
03-11-2008, 07:50 PM
thats a bummer.... well i guess i will try and get a better pic later...

~Abyss~
03-11-2008, 08:14 PM
I cant see the pics on here unless they are attachments but if you email it to me or take a better picture I'm sure I could tell you if it has mycosis or not.
-Eddy

Cyris69
03-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Yeah, all 8 of my M. martensii cam with varying states of mycosis 2 died in 2 days. They rest were going to die very soon I had a HUGE thread on it ages ago. If it is indeed living mycosis and considering the humidish requirements of jacksoni it could become an issue and can be spread between scorpions. So wash you hands before you handle your emp or work in its cage or even feed it too. This is being overly cautious but it is a serious aliment that you really want to avoid.

Oh, BTW its a female.

thedude
03-11-2008, 09:40 PM
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z69/random4895/102_3235.jpg heres a better pic of the tail... if it does have mycoses will it ever go away or is it just going to die?....

Cyris69
03-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Hmm does look like it. I can also see a spot on its 2nd leg on the right side in this photo and on its side maybe. I'd really prod and look at 100% of its body and take photos as necessary.

You could kill the fungus. Considering she is most likely an adult she won't need the humidity to molt. You could place her into Dry ICU for some time. I'd separate her from the rest of the group if you have more than one.

thedude
03-11-2008, 11:28 PM
she's full grown?? lol and if i want to kill the fungus i jsut put her into a dry enviroment?

uhh any info on this subject would help a ton...

Cyris69
03-11-2008, 11:47 PM
jacksoni are quite small I was very surprised when mine matured. Hell I could fit 3 2i jacksoni on a penny.
There are lots of threads on doing this but with mites and some with fungus.
I can't think of any off the top of my head. Try searching for my thread on my M. martensii mycosis issue.

There is a special cycle method to the Dry ICU.

So anyone else care to take a stab of setting up a ICU schedule for this.

Mr. Mordax
03-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Dang man, I'm sorry to hear about the mycosis -- though mine had it a lot worse:
http://oregonstate.edu/~reitmajm/Arthropods%20and%20Other%20Creatures/Arachnids/Scorpions/Buthidae/Babycurus%20jacksoni/IMG_0239.JPG

Looking at the size of your finger I'd guess you've got an adult female.

I hope she lives for a while, 'cause this is a fun species. Best of luck with her. :)

thedude
03-12-2008, 02:16 PM
wow this sucks.... not only do i find that this new scorp has it but one of my young female emps does as well... well at least i think so.. there's a whole bunch of black spots on the sides of the body like on the membrane.

edit: i jut looked over my new B. jacks and it has a few more spots i think i count 3 others besides the one on the tail

mkieff
03-12-2008, 05:41 PM
That does SUCK!!! I have always wanted to start a B. jacksoni community. So I hate it when someone is starting one and something like this crap happens.

I am really sorry, it does SUCK big time.

Xaranx
03-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Mycosis sucks, but it's not that bad as long as it stays away from the booklungs. Those are the 6 white dots on the bottom, their breathing apparatus. It can cause limbs to stop functioning eventually if it keeps spreading, so keep them dry with a waterbowl, pour a bit of water in the corner every other week. Can take a while to die from mycosis so plenty of time to have babies that won't have it. Separate them out and put them on fresh new substrate, and they will molt out of whatever gets transferred to them by mom at birth.

Mr. Mordax
03-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Mine didn't have any in the booklungs, and it died within a week of me noticing the mycosis. :(

I'm sorry the prognosis is so grim, Dude.

thedude
03-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Mine didn't have any in the booklungs, and it died within a week of me noticing the mycosis. :(

I'm sorry the prognosis is so grim, Dude.

well... hopefully i can find a couple at the next hamburg show and try again lol...

The Emperor
03-17-2008, 09:01 PM
I am thinking about getting one, But if I get stung what are the chances of actually dying?

thedude
03-17-2008, 09:10 PM
unless you have heart conditions or are allergic to bee stings id say slim to none

The Emperor
03-17-2008, 09:28 PM
unless you have heart conditions or are allergic to bee stings id say slim to none

I've heard the sting is similar to a cobra bite.

thedude
03-17-2008, 09:41 PM

from a B. jacksoni?? i dont think so.. maybe a hottentota or antrodoctrus sp but not these guys

GartenSpinnen
03-17-2008, 09:44 PM

All i have to say is HAHAHAHAHAHA to that above comment.

Sorry your scorpion has the spots :( I was reading something about treating them with vagisil on here earlier somewhere. Maybe it would be worth the experiment?
-Nate

mkieff
03-18-2008, 11:59 AM

Remember, just because a Scorp has a low LD50, does not mean it can kill a person. Lots of them have LD50s that are lower than most snakes. But remember, they do not inject as much venom as a snake byte does. Scorpions can control the amount of venom they release, and usually only release a small amount on the first sting.

But having said that, just be careful around scorps. Treat them with the respect they deserve. And just don't get tagged. Most people get tagged when they let their gaurd down (just read some of the sting reports on this board).

Lokal
03-18-2008, 12:23 PM
As long as the mycosis doesn't spread, I don't think I would worry too much about it. Just do not give it excessive amounts of humidity. Too be honest, it's probably better to be on the metasoma than anywhere else.