Kentucky Pedes and millies

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey guys, I went to Kentucky lake area today to explore the forest area there for centipedes and the elusive V. carolinianus scorpion. No luck on the scorpions, but I did manage to almost nab about 15 of the eastern centipedes that appear to be a species of Scolopendra but I'm not sure. I did manage to nab a clutch of baby centipedes all were on thier own with momma nearby. I moved a piece of bark on this fallen pine tree and there sat the whole bunch of them. Momma fled immediatly but I did get the babies. I think my wife counted 17 or 18 in all. Hopefully I will do an excellent job raising them. The other thing I got is also cool. It is a species of millipede that is native to the forests and heavily wooded areas of Kentucky but more plentiful in the eastern part of the state. The scorp mentioned above is more common in the eastern part as well but hey, can you blame me for lookin. Anyway, here are a few pics of the haul. Enjoy

First up, the best pic of the babies.

Later

Dale

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
first pic of the Millies, they are greyish with nice bright orange highlights. I am pretty sure that these only get about 2 inches tops.

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The first millie pic I would like to clear up before any assumptions are made. I only kept the pedes and millies in together for a short time. I removed the millies when I got home. They are in a separate cup now. Just so there is no confusion. :D

Later

dale

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The liquid secreted by those flat millis is supposed to be more dangerous than the one secreted by "normal" millis (AGBs in exemple) because it is supposed to kill insects nearby instead of making them flew away from the milli.

Frank

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What sort of micro-habitat were you finding the flat millis in. I have that or a very similar species local to me but I've never been able to figure out where to look for them. I found one by blind luck, but repeated attempts have been fruitless.

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
What sort of micro-habitat were you finding the flat millis in. I have that or a very similar species local to me but I've never been able to figure out where to look for them. I found one by blind luck, but repeated attempts have been fruitless.
Code

I was having very good luck searching under loose bark on fallen pine trees. This is where I also found about 17 or so Eastern Centipedes but those suckers are FAST! I only managed to get the group of babies. Try lookin under pine bark, I cant promise but I was havin an awful lot of luck finding them there. I only got three because I looked over the other 20 or so cuz I was interested in centis and V. carolinianus scorpions. I just didnt want 4 hours worth of hunting to go to waste. It was fun though.

Later

Dale

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have caught hundreds of the V carolinius's. just go to a slate rock bank and flip over the rocks and you will find about three or four under each good sized rock. If you can't find them there then I can tell you where you can find tons of them... and they have never stung me. they seem pretty laid back.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Code,

there are literally hundreds of those types of millis here where I live. All I have to do is go outside, lift rocks or wood, or simply look under leaf litter.

anyone happen to know what species they are?

Best wishes,

Paul