Tim's strange plant thread

TimV

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OK, it's Spring, and the weird stuff is starting to grow. First, Stapelia baylissii, one of those that stink like dung to attract flies for pollination. Patrick Star, anyone?

and a pretty cactus, Epithelantha micromeris

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you are ever interested in giving away/selling some of your plants please let me know. :D

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would be very interested in finding some of those locally, Tim. Perchance are you connected to anyone in Canada?

TimV

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got them from importing, etc.. which is a hassle, but since so many of you have asked about them, I've a couple dozen types with spares, and before my next ebay listing I'll plan on giving you guys first chance by offering some up here cheap for T trades or a small fee.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got them from importing, etc.. which is a hassle, but since so many of you have asked about them, I've a couple dozen types with spares, and before my next ebay listing I'll plan on giving you guys first chance by offering some up here cheap for T trades or a small fee.
That would be awesome:clap: :worship: :clap:

TimV

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sarracenia psittisina. Cool pitcher plant that has traps laying much more horizontal than others of this genus. I believe the idea is that when the plant is covered with water mosquito larvae etc.. get caught and eaten

TimV

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Salvia divinorum, the diviner's sage. I threw some leaves on a fire once to see what would happen, and my depth perception went a bit off. Mind you, I'm a conservative Christian and have never even puffed once on a joint or anything. I just wanted to see what all the hype was about, and I have lots of this in my greenhouse. My eye was drawn to a blue flower, and it was almost as iff all the other colors in the area weren't there, and only the blue flower stood out. That was leaves on a fire. I've read that chewing leaves etc.. can give you some pretty crazy dreams/visions, so I certainly wouldn't try doing much more. I've also read it's starting to get illegal in some states and countries like France and Russia et.al.

TimV

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Read the post, son. And no, I won't send you any.

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Read the post, son. And no, I won't send you any.
dont worry im not one those youths that are in to all sorts of wierd drugs..

i was merely curious...i guess i replied before i read about legality

TimV

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's a stone mimic, a Gibbaeum. Plants are very scarce in Bushmanland, and the antelope are always hungry, so some plants look like rocks

TimV

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is a Nepenthes. The trap is also a modified leaf, and it contains chemical to sedate it's prey, as well as surfactants to wet insects which drowns them faster. They get big enough to catch rats, and there is documentary proof that they do.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My Mom gave me these this weekend. They're really pretty and have some strange tentacles coming off the back of the flower. Never seen any flower like it, not sure what they are.

Here's another strange flower. My Mom told me it's a tropical plant that's "rare and expensive" but she doesn't know what it's called. Anyone have any ideas?

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, Tim! Beautiful photos and plants! :) I really love that first one, though. It's gorgeous! Especially the Nepenthes, that one is beautiful too.

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Arachnocat,

That first one is a white Columbine, my grandma has a ton of Columbine planted around her house and in her flowerbeds, they're the Colorado state flower :)

I'm not sure what that second plant is, though? It sure is lovely, whatever it is.

TimV

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The Pinguicula, or Mexican Butterwort catches small insects on it's really slick leaves (hence the name) and in previous years was used to control Whitefly in greenhouses before pesticides. For some reason, Whiteflies are really attracted to them, and are quickly dissolved. The flowers are high above the plant, so the pollinators don't get eaten!!