molt advice

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just came in my room and found my G. rosea (about 1.5") halfway through a molt. I'm slightly worried, becuase this particular T doesn't allow me to keep any sort of water dish, she's burried every one I've ever put in there. I usually keep part of her container somewhat moist so she has water, but even though I just poured some in yesterday, it looks pretty dry already.

From what I can see, she's finished up, all legs are out, but she's still on her back. When should I try giving her some water?

Thanks

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try putting a small dish as far from her as possible in the tank. Moistening the soil doesn't provide her with usable water and will just annoy her. I actually had to hot glue the water dish in place with my mature female rosie to keep her from flipping or burying it (she still tried, but it refused to budge. Now she just fills it with substrate on occasion.

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would wait at least a little while. If you can put a water dish (or pour a little) in there without disturbing her go for it. As long as you don't pour water ON her, I think you'll be alright.

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I actually had to hot glue the water dish in place with my mature female rosie to keep her from flipping or burying it (she still tried, but it refused to budge. Now she just fills it with substrate on occasion.
I'm definately going to do that once she hardens up a little.

I don't know if I can get an actual dish in there right now, opening the lid usually disturbs her a little. She really looks so fragile. Maybe I can spray some so it pools next to but not on her...

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I seem to remember that roses live in one of the driest deserts there is. I'm sure she'll be fine. When mine molted she was on her back for quite a while just hangin' out.

On a side note, I actually saw my MM rosea walk right up to his water dish plop his front legs in and take a loooong drink. I have dishes in both his and my MF rosea's tank and they love it.

........but then, they're roses, what can one expect? :?