Scolopendra subspinipes "Vanuata" eggs too

SebastianH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

how long is the time, pedes slide out of their eggs? My Scolopendra subspinipes "Vanuata" lay down eggs two weeks ago. And in two weeks i go to my vacation and i don´t want, that the pedemom will eat her little pedlings:
Hope s.o. can help me.
Greetings,
Sebastian:p

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
SebastianH it takes about 30 days for the eggs to hatch then its about another 30 days for the pedelings to leave the mother the only reasons i know of for the mother eating the eggs are if they are infertile or if you disturd her and as for going on vacation that shouldnt present to many problems the only real problem you might have is that the humidity may drop

fatbloke

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

I've seen it take three months from time of egglaying to time of dispersion of the young. The mothers take VERY good care of their young. She will likely only eat the eggs if they are going bad or aren't fertilized.

Congratulations! And best of luck with the little pedelings!

Paul

SebastianH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi again,

thanks for your comments. I feel now very better because I know that I´ll back of my vacation before the pedelings leave her mother.
Greetings from Germany,

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by phoenixxavierre
Hi,

I've seen it take three months from time of egglaying to time of dispersion of the young. The mothers take VERY good care of their young. She will likely only eat the eggs if they are going bad or aren't fertilized.

Congratulations! And best of luck with the little pedelings!

Paul
Paul, was that time frame (3 mo.) with the species mentioned or another sp.?

Atrax

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
Paul, was that time frame (3 mo.) with the species mentioned or another sp.?

Atrax
Hi Atrax and Sebastian,

It was a Scolopendra from Malaysia, not from Vanuatu. Same Genus, different Species. Sorry for not clarifying that. At any rate, I imagine it would be similar in timing, though what I found odd was that Scolopendra subspinipes egg development was slightly quicker, going from eggs to pedes in a shorter amount of time (perhaps two and a half months?). The Malaysian took a good three months from laying the eggs to dispersion.

Paul

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
@SebastianH

congrats and could you post some pictures ?

where are you from Germany, nearby the Dutch border or on the other side?

greetz

SebastianH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
@ Gongyles,

at the moment I don´t try to take pictures of my mom, I won´t disturb her. But when the pedelings are running free I´ll take some.
To your other question, I live near france not near by the dutch border.
Greetings from Germany,