thinking bout getting a millipede

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well im new to inverts. got a few T's , and was thinking bout getting a millipede, was gonna try and talk my mom in to letting me have one, so far dosent seem to care about the T's as long as i care for them, so i was wondering what was a good starter, what his cage should be like, what should i feed him and ect if you can help me that be great:?

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well I'm looking into millipedes also. African Giant Blacks seem to be the best to start with. Basically, a peat moss/potting soil mix sounds like a good substrate to go with. Check out the caresheets for them on the Arachnopets home page, or on Petbugs.com. Good luck.

Bry

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
kool will check into that type of millipede what do you think about the tanzanian red leg?

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ephibolus pulchripes (Tanzanian red legs) are sexually dimorphic, smaller than A. gigas, and not as easy to keep in my opinion. Madagascan red leggeds are very hardy, get as large as A. gigas, are arboreal, and are, in my opinion, as easily kept as A. gigas in an arboreal setup.

Hope that helps some,

Paul

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
would that madagascan red leg be any of these? i'm trying to decide what kind i want and i was hoping to find a species that is easy to keep, aboreal, friendly, big and active....

Madagascar Pink Leg
<edit - Satanika>

Madagascar Pink Banded Leg
<edit - Satanika>

Madagascar Fire (Aphistogoniulus species)
Ultra fiery coloration on legs and bright red bodies with black

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Ephibolus pulchripes (Tanzanian red legs) are sexually dimorphic, smaller than A. gigas, and not as easy to keep in my opinion. Madagascan red leggeds are very hardy, get as large as A. gigas, are arboreal, and are, in my opinion, as easily kept as A. gigas in an arboreal setup.
Hey, i never had Madagascan firemilis, because i was told that they are everything except easily to keep,.... so i find it strange that you tell that these are hardy species. if that's right i gonna buy some the next insectfair i'm going to :), i've always kept away from those cause they were know as difficult species,....

greeetz

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All millis aren't aggressive, all centis are aggressive.

Frank

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i was looking around my house for any kind of pedes and didnt find one.... ill buy one at the show tomarrow:D my mom said she dont care as long as it dont get out of course:D