A couple of AGB Millipede Questions

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, I have a few questions about my AGB. I have no idea what age or sex it is, but it is pretty big. Well, when I got him at the reptile show about a month ago, he was completely black. Now, it seems like every other segment is reddish-brown. Is this normal? Also, it didn't do this at first, but I see it burrow little holes and then cover them back up with oak or mulch. It does this near it's food and water dishes and also near it's hiding logs. I know that it probably isn't laying eggs, but it was kept in a container with all of the other millis, so I don't know. One more question: How often should I handle the milli? I want it to get used to me touching it, but I'm kind of turned off by the fact that he secretes lequid and poops everytime I pick it up. Any help that you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Some minor color change is ok.
Each millie has different habits, some spend most of their life
under ground, some do not.
When its really warm they tend to stay on the top more.

If you think about it, they live in a kind of compost pile, it can
get pretty hot under there:D

I wouldn't handle it too much, it seems like yours does not like
that anyway.
Handle it just to see how it feels, then let it alone. They really
do not need to be messed with very much.
And make sure you wash your hands after.
Any more questions just ask, you can PM me if you like. Or just
ask here:)

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
AGB's will stop sliming you when they get used to handling. A few times a day should extinguish the pooping behavior in a week or so. Wash your hands well after handling, or your fingers will turn reddish brown.

The black with brown bands are a normal coloration, so don't worry.