Breeding question

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If it is almost impossible to sex centipedes short of dissection, how would one go about breeding them? Maybe I am making the sexing thing too difficult. Any advice/comments?

Later

Dale

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
SpiderFood

i have read in a book that they say you can tell the difference but when i have looked at pedes ive got i cant see the difference theyre on about and for breeding them i think most people use the rotation method

fatbloke

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The rotation method has promise, but I think most babies in the hobby are from wild colected females who drop eggs after being imported. John (LaRiz) started a thread about his female S. heros that dropped eggs, they hatched, and the babies survived. Then, months later, she MOLTS and then lays eggs again, which hatch! She had not been exposed to a male in the time since the first batch, indicating that either a) centipedes can retain sperm for extended periods and fertilize multiple clutches (most likley) or b) some centipedes can reproduce parthenogenically (less likley, but integueing to think about). Check out that thread, it's very interesting (he's got pics).

Wade