update on the liphistius communal setup

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its been a while now and it sure has grown alot. its lookin good. one problem is there are tiny woodlice in there that are eating my moss. little butts!! if the moss actually gets to a descent size before they get to it, the moss will be ok, but they sure make it hard for the moss to get to a descent size.

here is what it used to look like

Brent H.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Look closely... you'll see the burrows of Liphistius. The pics do not do these set-ups any justice - I have seen them firsthand and they are pretty spectacular.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And what are you housing? moss?
if you opened your eyeballs and read the title when you clicked on it to view the thread, you would know that there are liphistius in there. obviously something in the title caught your attention, otherwise you wouldnt be here in the first place, but it obviously wasnt LIPHISTIUS in the title!:mad:

maybe this will help. theyre giant spiders... see

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol, its cool man, i just wanted to sound like a palphead in return. i was actually laughing while typing that.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
the tank has sure grown in nicely!very natural looking.
what kind of setup do you use for lighting and also how do you keep the tank from drying out?

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the tank has sure grown in nicely!very natural looking.
what kind of setup do you use for lighting and also how do you keep the tank from drying out?
there is a glass lid with a thin vent i build for ventilation. i hardly have to spray it. it stays pretty humid and moist on its own. the lights are from current. check em out here

http://www.current-usa.com/sunpaqretro.html

these lights are really nice! the actual bulb is separated from the ballast by an 8ft cord. this way the ballast doesnt overheat your viv. i highly reccomend these lights

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's 98756o85uylkjrng, amazing, mate. How many are in there? Is there no cannibalism? Can other species be housed like this? :drool: :worship: :clap: :D

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have like 8 in there. no cannibalizm yet as far as i know. im sure you can keep many species like this. ive kept bothriocyrtum californicum like this. ya just gotta try.

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
These are gorgeous pictures. How did you introduce them, one at a time, or all at once? I feel like trapdoors take a while to settle in, and I picture them bumping into eachother a lot before they got situated, and kinda freaking out a lot.

The tank itself is amazing. All my Ts and my huntsmen are in natural setups like this, but it hadn't occured to me to do the same with trapdoors as well. I tried it at first, but then rethought the idea because it felt like I was wasting a tank. Now you are making me reconsider again. Where did you get eight trapdoors... it seems like that must have been pricey.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have alot more than 8. there is 8 in that tank. i have another tank with 7 of them. i introduced them all at once and they showed NO aggression toward eachother at all. i actually found 2 females sharing a burrow.

post some of your setups like this! i would love to see them!

Brianhogs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't see any reason why they would be cannibalistic. I mean, don't they just stay in there burrow waiting for prey to come around, or do they come out and adventure at night?

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Josh, i pmed you with this q but will ask here aswell incase anyone else can help. Just wondering how you would make something like this? Is that a natural or artificial log? What substrate, what lighting to keep the plants growing and how do you introduce the spiders?

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i PM'd you but i forgot to answer a couple questions in the PM so ill do it here

that is a natural log. as for introducing the spiders, i made starter burrows that were about 6 to 12 inches deep at an angle. i then introduced ALL the spiders at once. when i said they dont have any aggression toward eachother... i meant it. i have found them sharing burrows and when they walk into eachother, they just run the other way or crawl over eachother. i wouldnt recommend introducing other species all at once however. i would introduce other species one at a time, let them get settled in and then introduce another one and so forth. i would also probably isolate the spider from the rest of the tank with a jar or something so it cant go wandering into anotehr spiders home and start a fight. good luck eh

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Josh,

That is one of the BEST looking set-ups I've seen...just wonderful!

Chris

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Amazing set up Josh.... Are those local plants? Species list maybe?

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
not all of them are local plants, but most are. these are plants that grew from spores out of the mosses and peat. i will have to do a bit of research to get the species of the different ferns and the liverwort. some of the ferns (non natives) are lycopodium. that is all i can tell you right now.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Sweet. Thanks for that dude.... You gonna put up pics of the other one?