A anax is suddenly my meanest t.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Anybody here have an A anax that is a total monster? I've never heard tell of a highly defensive one before this.

She (i think it's a she, not 100%) just molted to about 3.75". For the first time since I got her about 18 months ago she's been hanging out above ground all the time. Maybe a month after her molt i was handling her a bit with no problems. I don't handle very often at all and only with specimens that seem very tolerant of such treatment. Now, last week (about 2 months postmolt) I decided to give it another go as she was so sweet and interactive last time.

When i tickled her foot with a brush to coax her onto my hand she whirls around on the brush, bear hugs it and fangs it vigorously! She didn't let go either, it took some effort to dissuade her from the death grip she had on that brush. To think I was about to use my hand for that...

So I just shrugged and chalked it up to a misplaced prey response, she does attack roaches pretty voraciously sometimes. Then last night I went in to change her water dish. She was really disturbed by my presence, all threats, fangs, butt in the air, bobbing up and down to look big, you name it. Admittedly she didn't actually strike or flick any hair but i've NEVER seen a display like that from an Aphonopelma (or a grammy or a brachy or even a lassie).

So, anybody here ever had a Aphonopelma (beside those crazy-a55 seemani's) kirk out like that? It sure surprised me. I'd expect that sort of thing from a rosie although i've never seen it myself. It makes me wonder if something's going on in her environment that's causing some persnickety behavior...She did lose a toe in her last molt but I really don't think that's the issue.

Yes, I know it's probably nothing, just looking for stories.

Crazy!

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's all the kids these days. lol.

--the nature boy

Anybody here have an A anax that is a total monster? I've never heard tell of a highly defensive one before this.

She (i think it's a she, not 100%) just molted to about 3.75". For the first time since I got her about 18 months ago she's been hanging out above ground all the time. Maybe a month after her molt i was handling her a bit with no problems. I don't handle very often at all and only with specimens that seem very tolerant of such treatment. Now, last week (about 2 months postmolt) I decided to give it another go as she was so sweet and interactive last time.

When i tickled her foot with a brush to coax her onto my hand she whirls around on the brush, bear hugs it and fangs it vigorously! She didn't let go either, it took some effort to dissuade her from the death grip she had on that brush. To think I was about to use my hand for that...

So I just shrugged and chalked it up to a misplaced prey response, she does attack roaches pretty voraciously sometimes. Then last night I went in to change her water dish. She was really disturbed by my presence, all threats, fangs, butt in the air, bobbing up and down to look big, you name it. Admittedly she didn't actually strike or flick any hair but i've NEVER seen a display like that from an Aphonopelma (or a grammy or a brachy or even a lassie).

So, anybody here ever had a Aphonopelma (beside those crazy-a55 seemani's) kirk out like that? It sure surprised me. I'd expect that sort of thing from a rosie although i've never seen it myself. It makes me wonder if something's going on in her environment that's causing some persnickety behavior...She did lose a toe in her last molt but I really don't think that's the issue.

Yes, I know it's probably nothing, just looking for stories.

Crazy!

Last edited:

hardlucktattoo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hmm.. Thats weird I have not heard anything in particular about it. But then again I haven't heard anything that contradicts it either. If I do I'll be sure to let you know.

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How long have you had her? It's summer now, and my rosea has become a beast... this from having been the sweetest thing. I think the humidity is stressing her out... but it could just be that its warmer and she's more active and agile.

Have you changed substrate recently, or anything like that?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I got my A. anax about 3 years ago as a sling from Botar and it's at the 4 inch mark now. I have never, ever, not once, been able to handle her. She, and it is a she, has always given me a threat, even as a sling. Fangs out, legs up and always turning toward me for the best attack. She's still a cutie though,,,go figure.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I got my A. anax about 3 years ago as a sling from Botar and it's at the 4 inch mark now. I have never, ever, not once, been able to handle her. She, and it is a she, has always given me a threat, even as a sling. Fangs out, legs up and always turning toward me for the best attack. She's still a cutie though,,,go figure.
Ok, well at least it's not just me, lol. And no proper, nothing has changed with the enclosure, food, etc except some humidity fluctuations depending on whether the ac is on or not. Maybe she's just ticked about losing the toe in the molt. :(

Last edited:

T-Harry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had an male Aphonopelma caniceps that got really aggressive after he became adult.

misfit762

Arachnopeon
I have an A. pasoni that was sweet as pie until I re-captured her. She does not retreat at all. She goes into threat and moves toward you and tries to bite. Crazy!