PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Killer Spider Movie Ever!!!

Darth Nader
08-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Since I've been shooting out more polls than posts... here's another for yah!;P

"What is your favorite killer spider movie?"

Personally, my vote is on Tarantula.

ThistleWind
08-14-2008, 12:37 PM
I've seen another one on the shelves. It's called "Arachnid" or something like that. Is that one about spiders as well?

I have to vote Arachnophobia since that movie scared me to death when I was a kid. I had nightmares of tarantulas coming out of the toilet. :(

Darth Nader
08-14-2008, 12:39 PM
WHAT!!!:? Someone actually picked Eight-Legged Freaks over Tarantula!!! How dare they!!!:evil: lol, just joking {D

Darth Nader
08-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Yes Arachnid was about a race of alien spiders in a jungle or something. It was pretty crappy though. YES!!! Arachnophobia was a VERY creepy movie and I'm glad someone agrees with me! Its one of the best but not THE best though.

PsychoSpider
08-14-2008, 12:42 PM
you forgot to add ice spiders

Darth Nader
Whoever voted kingdom of the spiders... no complaints here! ;)

Moultmaster
Kingdom of the spiders must have had some fantastic spider wranglers. Truly a monumental task when you see how many tarantula actors there were. No cgi, gotta love it.

Darth Nader
08-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Your kidding right? Ice Spiders? Come on!

Darth Nader
08-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Why is no one voting for Tarantula? That movie is a CLASSIC!!!

Darth Nader
08-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Let me guess... Eight-Legged Freaks is the only Killer Spider movie most of you have heard of?

Darth Nader
08-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Whoever voted for Tarantula... THANK YOU:clap:

crpy
08-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Let me guess... Eight-Legged Freaks is the only Killer Spider movie most of you have heard of?

the graphics were great:D

ThistleWind
08-14-2008, 12:54 PM
I haven't seen Tarantula, but I do like the B-grade sci-fi films of the 50's (Ed Wood, anyone?). I doubt it's anywhere near as creepy as Arachnophobia. Question though, which T did they use for the large one that they found in the jungle in the beginning of the film? I saw what looked like a B. vagans in the fight at the end but wasn't sure. Thanks.

Darth Nader
08-14-2008, 12:59 PM
I haven't seen Tarantula, but I do like the B-grade sci-fi films of the 50's (Ed Wood, anyone?). I doubt it's anywhere near as creepy as Arachnophobia. Question though, which T did they use for the large one that they found in the jungle in the beginning of the film? I saw what looked like a B. vagans in the fight at the end but wasn't sure. Thanks.
I've been wondering that for years! I don't know wat T they used. By the way, believe it or not, Tarantula was a ground-breaking film of its time as it popularized special make-up effects and the matte effect (which eventually became known as green-screen or blue-screen)

crpy
08-14-2008, 01:05 PM
I've been wondering that for years! I don't know wat T they used. By the way, believe it or not, Tarantula was a ground-breaking film of its time as it popularized special make-up effects and the matte effect (which eventually became known as green-screen or blue-screen)

Holy crap, sounds like you should have been the films producer, lol{D

Stamper
08-14-2008, 01:06 PM
eight legged freaks is my favorite. :cool: I love watching it.
The little squeals the spiders make is hilarious{D :clap:

Darth Nader
Seriously... Has no one here but me and one other person ever heard of Tarantula?

Darth Nader
Holy crap, sounds like you should have been the films producer, lol{D
Maybe I was... lol

Darth Nader
08-14-2008, 01:07 PM
eight legged freaks is my favorite. :cool: I love watching it.
The little squeals the spiders make is hilarious{D :clap:
Oh yeah...well, the spider in Tarantula could "groan" and the spiders in Arachnophobia hissed!

Darth Nader
08-14-2008, 01:10 PM
The more who vote for Tarantula, the less tarantulas around the world have to suffer...{D

PsychoSpider
08-14-2008, 01:20 PM
I hate ice spiders I was just wondering why you didn't put it on there to see if anybody liked it. I wasn't saying I liked ice spiders I think the exact opposite of ice spiders.

Darth Nader
08-14-2008, 01:21 PM
I hate ice spiders I was just wondering why you didn't put it on there to see if anybody liked it. I wasn't saying I liked ice spiders I think the exact opposite of ice spiders.
OK u had me scared there for a minute...

DMTWI
08-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Seriously... Has no one here but me and one other person ever heard of Tarantula?

Haven't seen the film for a long time, but I do remember it. :D You know Clint Eastwood was in the movie, right?

Darth Nader
08-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Haven't seen the film for a long time, but I do remember it. :D You know Clint Eastwood was in the movie, right?
Yup, that was one of his earliest appearances, and oddly enough, he was the one who killed the spider!

ThistleWind
08-14-2008, 01:39 PM
I've heard of Tarantula (would TARANTULA! would a better title?), and saw a poster going on eBay (theatrical 36x40). Was thinking of getting it, but decided, nah.

yeah, the tarantulas on Arachnophobia did a lot of things.. like mated with house spiders and jumped 10 ft. in the air.

Darth Nader
08-14-2008, 01:41 PM
I've heard of Tarantula (would TARANTULA! would a better title?), and saw a poster going on eBay (theatrical 36x40). Was thinking of getting it, but decided, nah.

yeah, the tarantulas on Arachnophobia did a lot of things.. like mated with house spiders and jumped 10 ft. in the air.
Tarantula TARANTULA! Tomato TAMATO! Yeah those Arachnophobia Arachnids were pretty amazing, but none of them became a hundred ft tall like Tarantula did!

Darth Nader
08-14-2008, 01:49 PM
So now everything begins to slow down...

Darth Nader
08-14-2008, 01:50 PM
If anyone knows anyone who hasn't voted but can vote... please get them...

Darth Nader
08-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Tarantula! Tarantula! Tarantula!

Arachnobrian
08-14-2008, 04:35 PM
If your going to post a poll, try to be patient.

I would much rather read other peoples answers, and not the contiuous annoying "please vote now", "if you know anyone who has'nt voted", etc

Yes I know, I probably got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, but it is still annoying.

There somebody had to type it out.

BTW - I picked Arachnophobia

RottweilExpress
08-15-2008, 03:39 AM
They all suck.

Skullptor
08-15-2008, 07:10 AM

Not sure where you get this info from, but it was not a ground-breaking film. Yes you could say it was a bit advanced for the day...

It most definitely did not popularize SPME or matte effects. It was one in a long list. "The thief of Baghdad" came almost 15 years before Tarantula. Also a form a blue screening was already being used in B&W. "The wizard of Oz" & "Gone with the Wind" used this techniques with Matte paintings a good 25 years before the film Tarantula. My background is not "traveling matte" but rather SPME and the film Tarantula is much farther down the list of ground-breaking make-up effects than it is in the "traveling matte" realm. :D

Darth Nader
08-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Not sure where you get this info from, but it was not a ground-breaking film. Yes you could say it was a bit advanced for the day...

It most definitely did not popularize SPME or matte effects. It was one in a long list. "The thief of Baghdad" came almost 15 years before Tarantula. Also a form a blue screening was already being used in B&W. "The wizard of Oz" & "Gone with the Wind" used this techniques with Matte paintings a good 25 years before the film Tarantula. My background is not "traveling matte" but rather SPME and the film Tarantula is much farther down the list of ground-breaking make-up effects than it is in the "traveling matte" realm. :D
Must someone always destroy my childhood dreams? Seriously guys, so maybe Tarantula DIDN'T "popularize" SPME or matte effects. But it used them more extensively than many other films. For instance, the make-up effects were actually more advanced than many other make-up effects used before it. Through a combination of masks, prosthetics, and make-up the decaying faces of the scientist and the deformations of the test subjects was achieved. Also, more advanced methods than just matte paintings had to be used for the Tarantula's shadow and the background. Again, these mattes actually have a more perfect look to them then those in wizard of oz and gone with the wind, and before anyone asks, yes I have seen both of those movies as well as many more who have used these techniques. One more thing, the mattes used in the film were far more advanced as they were able to capture distance (if one pays close enough attention) and the tarantulas proportions in the film grow as the fictional creature itself does. So you got me with it not being ground-breaking, but it deserves more credit than being called "a bit advanced for the day..."

By the way, I apologize if I sound like a jerk at all. I'm not meaning to I'm just trying to clear things up...

Also, while I'm not an expert on make up, I do know a thing or two about matte effects and their history...

Darth Nader
08-16-2008, 05:36 PM
If your going to post a poll, try to be patient.

I would much rather read other peoples answers, and not the contiuous annoying "please vote now", "if you know anyone who has'nt voted", etc

Yes I know, I probably got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, but it is still annoying.

There somebody had to type it out.

BTW - I picked Arachnophobia

You're right Ottawaherp, someone did have to type that and I'm glad someone did... Have a nice day!

Darth Nader
08-16-2008, 05:37 PM
You're right Ottawaherp, someone did have to type that and I'm glad someone did... Have a nice day!
With that aside, does anyone else want to vote or know anyone else who hasn't voted?

Arachnobrian
08-16-2008, 07:13 PM
..................lol

Skullptor
08-16-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm sorry. I'm not out to destroy childhood dreams. I just thought you might of wanted a different point of view. And a point of view from someone who has worked in the area in which you speak.

SPME artists are like magicians in the way that techniques are pasted down to other artists. It's been this way since the art began. Only recently are there schools that teach this art and frankly they all suck. The only course that was worth a damn was the Dick Smith advanced course.

A part of learning the craft is leraning who did what, and when. Could I be wrong... of course. I had the pleasure of working with Tom Savini and others during the 80's and I've been working off and on ever since then. I just worked on CSI, and DEXTER a few months ago. I can say with a high amount of certainty most advancements, from a SPME point of view, in the art. Do I care if anyone believes me? No

If you want to name the specific make-up effect that was of importance I'd love to hear it? I don't mean blue screen cause I've already said it isn't my gig and that for sure isn't the birth of blues screening.

I enjoy talking with people about FX and I am here if you have any questions about it. but please do it in PM as this doesn't have anything to do with tarantulas. My experiences goes beyond reading about movie trivia.

HKronos
08-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Captain Kirk and Kingdom of the Spiders.

SPIDERBYTE
09-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Kingdom of the Spiders, though I'm saddened by the number of T's that got squished on the road in that town scene. Shatner covered with T's though - priceless! Oh well, at least the spiders won!

Another of my favorites is "Tarantulas-the Deadly Cargo"

8 legged freaks was okay untill the spiders went all cartoon like with silly sounds. The Jumping spiders hunting the dirtbikers was awesome though!

mouse
09-06-2008, 10:46 PM
well i love arachnophobia and eight legged freaks. the first is more for when i'min the mood for scary movie the rest for comedy. i guess 8legged freaks shows why not to feed wild caught prey:rolleyes: .
i didn't care too much for tarantula, seen a similar one where teen found a huge dead spider in a cave, which ends up on display in a lab or museum i think, wakes up and attacks everybody (forgot the name), another one was where the spiders/tarantulas stay the size of t.blondie but kill and at the end all the houses are webbed in (forgot the name to that one also). but i am thinking about getting kiss of the tarantula (young girl uses her pet tarantula to kill her step mom and terrorize class mates)

Mina
09-06-2008, 11:11 PM
I didn't vote. I can't. *hangs head* I've never seen any of them.
If it makes anything any better though, I had heard of TARANTULA! the movie. I do have arachnophobia and eight legged freaks in my queue at netflicks though. Is that good enough?

dragonblade71
09-07-2008, 01:55 AM
Ah...what a great selection of movies to show to an arachnophobe. That would really make their day!

Mouse: "but i am thinking about getting kiss of the tarantula (young girl uses her pet tarantula to kill her step mom and terrorize class mates)"

I saw 'Kiss of the Tarantula' many years ago and I have a vhs copy. A bit slow moving but still, worth a look. The girl is hot by the way.

hasani1408
09-07-2008, 07:30 AM
arachnophobia it was more realistic. It was a great movie.
eight legged freaks was good.
never saw the other ones sorry.

mouse
09-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Ah...what a great selection of movies to show to an arachnophobe. That would really make their day!

Mouse: "but i am thinking about getting kiss of the tarantula (young girl uses her pet tarantula to kill her step mom and terrorize class mates)"

I saw 'Kiss of the Tarantula' many years ago and I have a vhs copy. A bit slow moving but still, worth a look. The girl is hot by the way.
i've seen arachnophobia while i was still an arachnophobe.
my kids love arachnophobia and eightlegged freaks (watched the 8legged freaks yesterday and my daughter was laughing all the way through it) and my 5 year old boy want a T that is his size.