Geez, AGRESSIVE rose hair!

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was using a pair of forceps to remove one of those "cricket balls" from my g. rosea cage(a long term captive of about three years)
and she snaps twice at the forceps in the blink of an eye! I will never hold her again. Man, thatw as creepy. Has this happended to any of you?:? :eek:

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep, Often.
I guess everyone has a bad " Don't Bother me!" day. Even the "sweetest" of the bunches.
Kind of makes you step back and say. "Whoah,,, this realy Is a Big hairy spider...."

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
I've never seen it, but I've heard of it so many times I think there's an axe murderer lurking inside every one. Even the Pet Rock at the local Petco apparently tried to take a plug out of the manager. Granted, they ARE a common T, but I think about 10% of them are psycho.

W

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Has 2 psycho Rosehairs! Rosehairs are known to have mood swings and even after some molts I have seen its where the turn aggressive. The 2 We have act like the Usambra Baboon. My husband Cleaned out there tanks yesterday and they hated him trying to make them go in that pet carrier. Course when it was the Usambra turn she almost got out and almost bit my husband twice lol

Harmeke

Arachnopeon
The only act of aggression that I have seen from any of my rosies has been one incident of hair flicking. And I dont mean just a couple, she did quite a bit of rubbing with her leg. I guess she just didnt feel like being messed with that day (theres your mood swings!) Before and after this, she has been her normal laid back self.

Btw...even though I immediatly wash my hands, two days later I was still itching! She got me good...normally their hair doesnt really bother me:rolleyes:

Patty

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Heh, I don't think washing helps much -- They're so small, you're more than likely to miss most of them.

I heard sticking tape on your hands and ripping it off works, tried it a few times. Still itch most of the time. Other times, I don't -- but that could just be because the hairs missed.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Naughty rosea!

yep, many of us have them....
They can be real stinkers!

Last edited:

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
One of my roseas attacks tweezers, paintbrushes, and water yet you can touch her with your hands and she could care less. The other one kicks hairs off at the drop of a hat :)

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My pet rock went from a hand scratcher [scrapes her fangs on my hand] to cobalt blue.. all I gota do is tap the side of the cage [when opening it] and she flick hairs snap at nothing and run around like hell... a reeeaaaal nice fuzzy pet rock :p

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm thats weird .. my Rosie has never once flaked out on me .. and my Cobalt seems calm also. But , my Green Bottle .. thats a mean little T ! Weird how 1 T can act so different than the so called ' Norm'

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually .. Ive never handled my Curly Hair ... what are they like?

Condacon

Arachnopeon
Mood Swings

With the Grammostola Genus, you have to be prepared for mood swings. I have a G. Pulchra and a G. Rosea and both have flipped out at me for no apparent reason. I always put on gloves and a long sleeve shirt when im about to handle them and if they dont get mad that means they arnt havng a famouse Gramma mood swing. even the nicest T's (like my pulchra Ebony :) )
will flick hair and rear about once maybe twice a year. when that happens just let em be for a couple of days and see what happens when you try to pick them up on the third

ballpython11

Arachnopeon
I was using a pair of forceps to remove one of those "cricket balls" from my g. rosea cage(a long term captive of about three years)
and she snaps twice at the forceps in the blink of an eye! I will never hold her again. Man, thatw as creepy. Has this happended to any of you?:? :eek:
how big is the enclosure , whats the substrate , ect... ???