PDA

View Full Version : Need Information.

The Emperor
08-27-2008, 08:35 PM
I am not sure if this creature is a scorpion, But I am assuming it is. I have heard of something called the "Egyptian Camel Killer".

If anybody knows what this is, Please let me know.

clam1991
08-27-2008, 08:38 PM
maybe its a camel spider?

Widowman10
08-27-2008, 08:38 PM
i think what you might be thinking of is a solpugid. nasty critters with a horrible disposition :D :D

google it. they go by about 584395795 different names.

The Emperor
08-27-2008, 08:52 PM
If it is a solpugid, Do they make good pets?

clam1991
08-27-2008, 08:53 PM
ive never heard of them being pets but they scare the crap out of me

you might have second thoughts if you saw one eat a mouse
and from what i hear they can get huge!!

GideonSmith08
08-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Yes they can, but from what I've heard, not many people keep them as pets due to their short lifespan and not being very common.

Galapoheros
08-27-2008, 09:23 PM
An arachnid but not a scorpion. They are very common in some places in the US but like you read, they can be hard to keep alive and I think that's why they are not common in the hobby. I've kept several of them but didn't have much luck with it. Here's a big thread about them.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=59006

Widowman10
08-27-2008, 09:34 PM
i would go for it. they are really fun pets. voracious as all get-out. the only problems i've had with them are with reproduction, that gets tricky. otherwise, they're pretty easy to keep.

Galapoheros
08-27-2008, 10:05 PM
"reproduction", I had some experience with that too. I kept seeing babies in September from a species in Texas. But they all seemed like they hatched dead. Then from doing some reading, it's looking like the babies over-winter in a dormant state, so I messed up there thinking they were dead. I haven't tried it again since I heard that might be the case. Yeah, for sure, go for it if you're interested. It's just that most people haven't kept them alive for long but some species simply may not live long. Many I've had from Texas seemed to just run out of life fast. I need to catch some young ones next time and see what happens.

BearGrylls4life
08-27-2008, 10:54 PM
If you are talking about the camel spider by all means go for it! i havnt kept any of them myself but a couple of my friends have and they are crazy little beasts. dont live for that long tho, not sure way.

max

Widowman10
08-27-2008, 11:33 PM
dont live for that long tho, not sure way.

they live hard and fast ;)

you can keep them alive for longer with lower temps/less often feeding. but less often feeding is not quite as much fun as throwing tons of stuff in there ;)