Identity theft

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So here's the deal:

About three months ago or so, I purchased "X" tarantula from a pet store. It had no scientific name, and the "common" name was labeled Thailand Tiger or some BS name along those lines. So I narrowed it down to a Haplopelma. After digging up info and comparing photos and such, I came to the conclusion it was most likely a Haplopelma Longipes...a 6" chocolatey, light brown buggie in massive need of a molt.

Well, ask and you shall receive. Tonight I went to do my water supplying and found out my appropriately named Haplo, "Dahmer", molted.
The awesome, and confusing thing is...I now have a pitch black, 6 1/2" buggie. In my experience, I've never seen a longipes turn black before, or be anywhere close to this dark. (I would supply a photo but said T is currently hiding and recovering.) I'm now wondering if it's a Minax. Has anyone had a minax go from brown to black?

I also sexed it, and it looks like a male, as I could not see any spermathcae, but this may be faulty as the molt was in somewhat rough shape. I did not notice any tibial hooks or bulbs (I'll be honest, I don't remember if Asian species get these or not.)

Hm. Any thoughts and opinions on this mystery T as of now? Photos will be available to the tarantulas earliest convenience.

Last edited:

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dunno if any other haps other than H minax go pitch black.

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alright.So.

I've been going through pages and pages of both Minax and Longipes...and basically have found every brown to black variation on both of them. That, the striped butt, and the leggyness....
I'm pretty lost.

So let me ask this: Is there any significant features that one or the other has that could positively identify it?

Note: Photos on the way. Tarantula not happy with me right now. (Thinks I'm crap talking him on the boards.)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can't remember either about tibial hooks in haplopelma but all MM spiders hae palpal emboli. At 6.5" if there are no boxing gloves present i'd say odds are good you have a female.

~anxiously awaiting pics~

Tie Black

Arachnopeon

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
longipes

Also, leg IV is quite thickened in longipes (along w/ the distinctive scopulae). Mine (F) are both closer to black than brown, especially right after molting. Beautiful, eh? Now if I could only find a male :wall:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You might contact Martin Huber or Volker Von Wirth as they are the guys who know the Asian species very well