Burgandy goliath

Edrick

Arachnopeon
Does any one have any information on this species I just recently seen them available tarantulas.com is selling them for $95 apiece???:confused:

MVDaniel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not sure......but check this out.

I bought a WC Blondi back in march and just had her molt a month or two ago. I've been reading a little about this "new" Theraphosa sp. and started wondering about mine. Below is a photo of mine immediately post molt. One of the major differences in this supposed third Theraphosa sp. is the presence of burgundy hairs post molt. That is abundantly clear in my case, but I've never seen another blondi post molt so I don't know if it's any different than any other. Opinions??

kylecchh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe its a Hybrid between a L. parahybana and a T. Blondi? Just a guess.

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Looks like every other blondi I've seen. My blondi have the bright red hairs after it molts as well. I'll see if I cant dig up a pic..

Just your everyday run in the mill blondi. It also has the burgandy hairs on the abdomine and legs.

Another smaller blondi.

Last edited:

MVDaniel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It was WC, and from a reputable supplier, so I'm not sure. Her color has returned to normal. Here's a good shot where you can see the before and after colors......and yeah, she molted right side up. She's silly like that.

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The last one listed was wc and the first one was CB. Both are males.

As for the body color I've had blondis range from light brown, to dark brown, to almost black to bright pumpkin orange.

Honestly I think you just have a T. blondi.

I am curious about the burgandy ones though. Even the pics of them dont really differ much from the regular blondi.

ahas

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Those are cool, look at those at legs. :eek:

MVDaniel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I figured she was run of the mill, I just haven't seen a lot of others immediately post molt and the description sounded a lot like mine.

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would love to see a side by side pic of the blondi and the "burgandy sp."

MVDaniel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah, that would be helpful. Where did you see a photo of the "burgundy"?

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Tarantulas.com or whoever is selling them has the parents posted on their website.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Hype Hype Hype

I don't know anything about this Burgandy Goliath, but until a description paper is published and/ or a public confirmation of the new Theraphosa species rumor by a reputable arachnologist is made, I will be dismissing these as a hyped up, overpriced, possible color variant of Theraphosa blondi. I could of sworn there were a few arachnologists that have said color and markings were not a good indicator of a species. Sorry, but "pink feet like T. apophysis and tibial apophysis like T. blondi" just doesn't convince me it's a new species and make me want to part with $95 USD. But then again, it very well maybe a new species and I'm missing out. Oh well.

- Lonnie

Edrick

Arachnopeon
This does seem extremely weird too me as well and 95 bones seems like over kill to fork out. A plan blondi would do me well!:D

Tie Black

Arachnopeon
Theraphosa apophysis spiderlings have pink feet, mature males have tibial spurs and are from Venezuela...
The "Burgandy blondi" spiderlings have pink feet, mature males have tibial spurs and are from Guyana...
Venezuela and Guyana are neighbouring countries...??

$95 seems a lot for an apophysis :)

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Anyone bought these goliaths yet that can speak on them?? maybe michael could elborate on them more.

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Any specific details of course, why they are diff, if they even r

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Theraphosa apophysis spiderlings have pink feet, mature males have tibial spurs and are from Venezuela...
The "Burgandy blondi" spiderlings have pink feet, mature males have tibial spurs and are from Guyana...
Venezuela and Guyana are neighbouring countries...??

$95 seems a lot for an apophysis :)
Per T.com the T. sp burgandy males do NOT have the tibial spurs.