?Immaculate conception

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
One of my female mantids, billed as Polyspilota sp (? vs. Sphodromantis) just built an egg cocoon. I've had her since she was about 1 inch, and she has molted 2 or 3 times in the last 5 months. I have not had her with any males. Is this a sterile egg cocoon, or are they capable of parthenogenesis?

:? W

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It is not at all uncommon for unbred females to lay sterile ootheca with mantids, sorry.

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
Does mean she's nearing the end? I've got a 5 year old I need to prepare if it is.

Thanks,
W

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In my experience the end comes a week or two after the egg case. Sometimes the eyes go black right before. The sad part of keeping a mantis:(

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not familliar with that species, but many mantids will make multiple eggcases (ootheca) before they die. I've had Chinese make 6, and Brunneria borealis make 10, for example.

Your mantid might have a few more months, and it may not be too late to find a male for her!

Wade

wsimms

Arachnodaddy
Old Timer
Originally posted by BigBadConrad
In my experience the end comes a week or two after the egg case. Sometimes the eyes go black right before. The sad part of keeping a mantis:(
Thanks, guys. So far, she's still alive and ravenously hungry, but it's sad to watch her diligently guarding this worthless thing. Oh well. Wade, I think your idea of getting her a mate is a good one. I intentionally didn't breed her because (A) I didn't want the hassle of raising hundreds of ninos and (B) I figured the stress of breeding and egglaying would probably shorten her already short life. If she's going to do this anyway, I might as well make a full-fledged project out of it.

W

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
breeding will not shorten her livespan, i had an adult female Sphodromantis, who lived over a year after final molt!

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
breeding will not shorten her livespan, i had an adult female Sphodromantis, who lived over a year after final molt!
same here but with a female Hierodula :)

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how long do mantis usually last? i'm curious as to how long i'll have mine for...it just molted a few days ago and is full grown now