PDA

View Full Version : The ignorance is staggering...and funny!

Rochelle
09-26-2008, 10:19 AM
I came across this on yahoo, earlier today. I'm still wiping the tears of horror and hilarity from my eyes...
If this story is true; then every smithi we have for sale at present will need a serious increase in pricing....ROFLOL!! OMG, my stomach hurts, now! {D {D {D

** Tarantula posted to shop worker **
A man is arrested after a female shop assistant opens a package to find a large spider inside.
< http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/england/leicestershire/4876048.stm >

Bazzgazm
09-26-2008, 10:25 AM
At least they were close by saying it's only dangerous if you had a reaction.. however.. I think it's still up in the air if it's truly possible to have the same reaction as you do to bee stings due to the proteins.

ah well

oh, if anyone in europe has a 10" b smithi.. let me know cause i'll give you a grand for it!

that would be a mean prank, but send all your mature males after breeding to an unsuspecting person? lol

Radamanthys
09-26-2008, 10:25 AM
OMG 10" WIDE LOL!!!
beware guys, she is deadly, her VICTIMS are lost
omg, rofl!!!!{D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D

gvfarns
09-26-2008, 10:27 AM
The article makes it sound like it's a really frightening and potentially dangerous spider. At least the picture has someone holding it in their bare hand. :eek:

Kinda cancels the panic out just a little.

Le Wasp
09-26-2008, 10:34 AM
why on earth would he use a B. smithi? Wouldn't anyone actually trying to use a poison pen technique at least use a potentially dangerous species, like a black widow? Widows are also... cheap as free.

Also... news agencies need to stop saying things like these are possibly lethal. If we had even one case of someone dying from an allergic reaction, then we can start saying it's a possibility.

Rochelle
09-26-2008, 10:38 AM
10"...climbs trees...potentially fatal...can blind you and......it's RARE!!!
That's it...the prices just jumped all over the board....
OMG...I can't stop...someone make it stop - it hurts.....{D {D {D {D {D

robc
09-26-2008, 10:59 AM
OMG 10" WIDE LOL!!!
beware guys, she is deadly, her VICTIMS are lost
omg, rofl!!!!{D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {DROFLMA....10".......well my T.Blondi better watch out for the 10" Smithi....actualy blondi's get 10ft across here he is attacking my dog trainer, I tried to not let her get out:{D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee17/rbdTs/ECT/giantspider.jpg

thats how big blondi's realy get (LOL)

Rob

bamato
09-26-2008, 11:01 AM
I nearly fell out of my chair after reading this one. This just goes to show how accurate reporters can be. They probably asked a check out clerk at the local pet store for information.

BTW; I have an endangered male B smithi for sale. Only $800. Keep in mind, he could be up to 10 inches!! {D {D {D {D {D

Travis K
09-26-2008, 11:41 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs/hi/feedback/default.stm

We should all go to the above link and leave a comment about how ludicrous the article is. I already did.

Suzjohnson
09-26-2008, 12:06 PM
:( Well, I feel kind of bad for the spider actually. Bad enough to be jammed into tight quarters, tossed around the mail room and then received by someone ill prepared and not joyful about receiving such a precious package. I wonder what will become of it... Good idea contacting the publication and squawking a bit.

Travis K
09-26-2008, 12:18 PM
:( Well, I feel kind of bad for the spider actually. Bad enough to be jammed into tight quarters, tossed around the mail room and then received by someone ill prepared and not joyful about receiving such a precious package. I wonder what will become of it... Good idea contacting the publication and squawking a bit.

have you Squawked yet?

fartkowski
09-26-2008, 01:07 PM
A 10" B smithi that climbs trees.
Those Europeans always have the best T's:D

Suzjohnson
09-26-2008, 01:30 PM
have you Squawked yet?
I could do no less after you thoughtfully posted the place to do it! Thanks for doing that BTW.
:)

redsaw
09-26-2008, 01:49 PM
That is a great article. I didnt know they got to be 10" wow lol

SNAFU
09-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Probably perches in the trees throws down a noose of webbing to capture stray dogs and unsuspecting children to dine on.....after it blinds them 1st of course.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

J.huff23
09-26-2008, 02:41 PM
The incredibly rare 10'' endangered brachypelma smithi tarantula...lol...im used to seeing peoples ignorance about Ts though.

It was just today that i heard someone say "Yea them there white tarantulas have extremely dangerous and fatal venom."

Like I said...Im used to it by now.

betuana
09-26-2008, 02:50 PM
I was about to write a comment to them (and probably still will) and went to grab the date of the article to reference for them...

It shows me the article is from April 4, 2006.......about 2.5 years ago.....doesn't change how wildly inaccurate it is ;P but it might make it hard for them to issue any correction of it.....

Hopefully any comments left will help them if they have to write any articles about Ts in the future though!

Meanwhile, I better to check on my b. smithi sling....that thing is going to get to be 10" after all!!! My L. parahybana sling better watch out for it - smithis are dangerous tree climbers too after all! {D

The only thing I find kinda bad about it is that its from the BBC, which is often respected, and people who try and show how horrible and awful arachnids are any why they should all go away can use it as ammunition - the BBC says they are dangerous, so they must be! :wall:

Luckily there has probably been enough research to soundly defeat most of the absurd claims in that article. Does make you wondering who is doing the research for them though!

Strix
09-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Meanwhile, I better to check on my b. smithi sling....that thing is going to get to be 10" after all!!! My L. parahybana sling better watch out for it - smithis are dangerous tree climbers too after all! {D

Better supply it with plenty of trees to climb around in your house. It might get angry, blind you then fatally bite you.

If anyone believes this article I have a sweet little blondi that is like a small kitten. You know they rear up when they want to give you lots of hugs and kisses. {D

hasani1408
09-26-2008, 03:26 PM
this article was good for a great laugh. I noticed all articles in BBC state that T's are so dangerous.

Rochelle
09-26-2008, 03:43 PM
I just found out that Britain is trying to ban ALL tarantula keeping. This is pit-bull type legislation at it purest form.
This is the time to speak up, folks...if the BBC is saying they should ban keeping of T's..and everyone believes their word...then WE'RE LOGICALLY NEXT!!!
Speak up!! Even if it's an old report - ( I found it on yahoo's main page just today) - we need to add good information and comments to negate this kind of inaccurate and legalistically slanted reporting.
This was just funny when I posted it - but now that I know what's behind it.....:shame:

Lucara
09-26-2008, 04:34 PM
LMFAO a 10" tree climbing ultra rare B. smithi! OOOooooooOOoo! I'm terrified...why doesnt anyone send stuff like that to me as joke? I'd send them a thank you letter.

betuana
09-26-2008, 04:35 PM
I just found out that Britain is trying to ban ALL tarantula keeping. This is pit-bull type legislation at it purest form.
This is the time to speak up, folks...if the BBC is saying they should ban keeping of T's..and everyone believes their word...then WE'RE LOGICALLY NEXT!!!
Speak up!! Even if it's an old report - ( I found it on yahoo's main page just today) - we need to add good information and comments to negate this kind of inaccurate and legalistically slanted reporting.
This was just funny when I posted it - but now that I know what's behind it.....:shame:

I just wrote a fairly lengthy, but polite letter to them about the tone of the article, and the errors in their facts...I made a point to try and keep it professionally written and polite, while attempting to point out the misleading bits of their information.

I hate breed specific legislation (ie, breed bans) with dogs, and banning tarantulas because they are "dangerous" would be no different. However, people trust sources like the BBC, and if they take the tone of the article to heart they may be encouraged to try and enact such a ban.

On a related note:
For the public education committee I'm in for school (vet tech) we are putting together a bulletin board and we decided to talk about various "scary" animals related to halloween. We want to go over why people fear them, and then explain why they don't need to be afraid, what useful things the animals do, etc. One of the animal's I'm getting to do a write up on is spiders. This attitude of fear is just the sort of thing that our group is going to try and fix.

We are also going to put up 'cute' picture of the various animals to try and help people see them in a different light. I actually have a pretty cute picture of a versi sling on a webkinz black cat (with an orange background) that I took just for that board. I already showed it to one person who said they can't even stand to look at spiders, and even she had to admit that she found my sling to be pretty adorable! (Pictures are in the thread here: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=135706 If anyone out there has T pictures that they think the general public may view as 'cute', and you don't mind us putting them on our bulletin board, send them my way!)

I think trying to combat these negative images that articles like this one puts forward by not only objecting to the article, but presenting good information to the public can help a lot - there are tons of people out there who might be against Ts only because they don't know about them (heck, a couple years ago I'd have agreed with many of them that people who keep Ts are crazy lunatics!....a bit of self education after a good T experience with a friend of mine made a huge difference!). So I'd also encourage people to be willing to try and help people learn more. Don't get in people's faces, or get confrontational, or they won't listen. But if you are willing to try and share information with patience, maybe the tide can be turned so that most people out there at least understand the reality behind T's, rather than just what sensationalistic news and horror movies like to teach us.

Gosh I feel like I'm preachy today...sorry for that long bit! :8o I get typeative (like talkative, only on the computer :razz: ) sometimes...as many of my friends and previous coworkers can attest (they LOVED reading my internal memos - even if they were way long... {D )

clam1991
09-26-2008, 04:48 PM
what will they dream up next?

i mean weve hit the 100 foot python
the 10 inch smithi
any ideas for their next butchering?:wicked:

robc
09-26-2008, 04:53 PM
This was just funny when I posted it - but now that I know what's behind it.....:shame: No breed specific legislation will touch me or Rochelles dogs I can guarantee it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate BSL and I will fight it to the letter, I ask you BSL advocate's you want to ban this??? (this dog saved my sons life)

Here is the full story:

http://caseyray.iforums.us/hellow-my-name-is-rob-dot-c-vt18.html

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg197/danicarman/Brandonblue1.jpg

or this???

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg197/danicarman/TitusBrandonme002.jpg

or these????

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg197/danicarman/TitusVito-5months_20.jpg

These are my dogs advocates and there is only one way to get to them, thru me!!!! and I will not hesitate to put you 6 feet in the ground, actualy I would enjoy it!!

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg197/danicarman/TitusVito-5months_15.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg197/danicarman/newavatar.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg197/danicarman/ban1.jpg

Travis K
09-26-2008, 05:20 PM
You should read my thread in the "watering hole"

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=135874

ShellsandScales
09-26-2008, 07:53 PM
I said my piece to BBC everyone else should do the same until we get them to print a retraction. ANY roporter worth half their weight in fly excrement could have done 5 minutes of research and printed the truth. It is inexcusable for a NEWS outlet to print flat out lies.............................................. . However hilarious it may be.

robc
09-26-2008, 08:03 PM
You should read my thread in the "watering hole"

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=135874
I will be commenting in a few.....I just can't stand these ridiculous bands it hurts more than it helps.....rob

ShellsandScales
09-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Go robc I got your back!!! I'll bite their jugulars open!!

robc
09-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Go robc I got your back!!! I'll bite their jugulars open!!I will bite and bleed them dry!

KirbyStyle
09-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Blind victims? 10 INCHES? What the hell did they feed it? Its funny because if I didnt know better (much like most of the readers of the article or the "target audience" ) I would think that they are soo dangerous too, lol. They can't fool me this time though. I wish someone woulda mailed me a B. Smithi! Those are expensive!

Arachnosold1er
09-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Isnt it nuts how the media can put any old bull@#$% out for people to watch and read. Thats whats wrong with the world. "Beleive none of what you hear and only half of what you see!!" Thats my motto. I mean, a little inaccuracy is acceptable, but that is just plain crazy! I hope my Smithi gets to be 10"!!

barabootom
09-27-2008, 10:17 AM
After reading the article, I feel I must get rid of B smithi. I protect myself from the wildly flicking hairs by wearing ski goggles whenever I approach her lair, but I had no idea the 55 gallon aquarium she lives in wasn't going to be big enough to house her until she matured. I learned sopmething else from this article also. I thought those giant hooks at the end of her legs were for tickling prey before devouring it. I had no idea they were for climbing trees. I'm afraid she might pounce on my dog if she gets loose. I'm thinking I should flush her down the toilet, but then she might live in the sewers and eventually attack some street person sleeping too close to a sewer grate. I'm scared and don't know what to do. I'm going to write the BBC, they know everything.

Crusaderwithgat
09-27-2008, 10:26 AM
ROFLMA....10".......well my T.Blondi better watch out for the 10" Smithi....actualy blondi's get 10ft across here he is attacking my dog trainer, I tried to not let her get out:{D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D {D

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee17/rbdTs/ECT/giantspider.jpg

thats how big blondi's realy get (LOL)

Rob

Tried not to let the dog trainer get out??:D

Jim

ShellsandScales
09-27-2008, 11:47 AM
what will they dream up next?

i mean weve hit the 100 foot python
the 10 inch smithi
any ideas for their next butchering?:wicked:

well you know there is a mouse in indonesia that spits acid on anything that threatens it. It's the size of a monkey and eats 10 times its weight in frogs a day.

Londoner
09-28-2008, 06:18 AM
I remember reading this article on the morning it first appeared (took me a while to clean the cornflakes off my computer screen! :mad: ).
It's sad to say, but over the last 10-15 years the BBC has deteriorated to the point where all impartiallity and accuracy have gone out the window. In my eyes, it's not much better than The Sun (one of Murdoch's comics that amazingly outsells all other British newspapers). They've finally realised what most of the mass media have known for some time...danger and exaggeration sells and makes for a much jucier story.
The scary part is, after the story appeared a couple of my friends called me to ask if the info was true (even though they had known me for years and I'd tried to educate them about Ts whenever they were over :wall: ). Like someone said earlier, the BBC had told them it was deadly so they believed it. Just goes to show the power of the media :eek:

Aurelia
09-28-2008, 09:11 AM
Sounds like BBC is the British version of FOX.

crpy
09-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Sounds like BBC is the British version of FOX.

whats wrong with FOX?

Aurelia
09-28-2008, 09:28 AM
FOX will report biased and inaccurate stories.

Londoner
09-28-2008, 09:36 AM
whats wrong with FOX?

Well, he's getting a bit old to be running around with Scully chasing aliens :cool:

On a serious note...what Aurelia said.

crpy
09-28-2008, 09:37 AM

Oh, and all other media sources wont, I search many media outlets and it seems ALL of them are in for sensationalism and hype.

Londoner
09-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Oh, and all other media sources wont, I search many media outlets and it seems ALL of them are in for sensationalism and hype.

Absolutely agree. You just have to have your BS radar switched on and know the agenda of the news source you're reading. It helps to filter out the sensationalism from the facts.

betuana
09-28-2008, 09:44 AM

I've noticed that as well. I don't generally watch FAUX news anymore...I got tired of listening to tons of one-sided stories and agenda oriented information.

Not that that is necessarily abnormal. It seems like MOST news places fit what Londoner was saying - news sells better if its sensationalized. And almost all have some agenda that they are pushing too. Its really hard to find a piece of news out there that is just reporting without some slant one way or another.

Example: Anyone remember the situation with Tatiana the tiger at SF Zoo? I read almost every report I could on that and some of them were so different as to be flat out contradictions of each other. I read enough stories that it got to the point that I was able to say "ok, the way this was worded its likely true, but the way this part is worded it was a reporter's creativity that added it..."

Means you have to read news from multiple sources to try and dig out the facts, which is usually what I end up doing when there is a bit of news I'm interested in. Thankfully there are enough newspapers online to make this doable. Sad that its so hard to find accurate information though. Sensationalism just sells too well I guess - thats why things like The Sun sell so well (and I don't think The National Enquirer, Weekly World News, and other supermarket tabloids are doing too bad either!) People like to read crazy things - its just too bad that they have a hard time remembering that its not a reflection of reality...

Aurelia
09-28-2008, 09:46 AM
I'll credit any other media source over FOX any day. They're all about propaganda and I take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn1C1MN-eeI) is ever going to happen. Seriously FOX? Seriously?

Sorry if I've offended any FOX supporters, I'll shut up now. :5:

crpy
09-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Means you have to read news from multiple sources to try and dig out the facts, which is usually what I end up doing when there is a bit of news I'm interested in. Thankfully there are enough newspapers online to make this doable. Sad that its so hard to find accurate information though. Sensationalism just sells too well I guess - thats why things like The Sun sell so well (and I don't think The National Enquirer, Weekly World News, and other supermarket tabloids are doing too bad either!) People like to read crazy things - its just too bad that they have a hard time remembering that its not a reflection of reality...

There it is:clap:

ShellsandScales
09-28-2008, 12:55 PM
This is why I don't watch or read the news. I only get angry when its on. It's not about presenting the facts its about selling pampers and denture cream, disgusting.

Rochelle
09-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Yeah...where the hell is Walter Cronkite when we need him?
I can't remember the last time the headline was something positive and good. There isn't a single news agency that can be trusted to give a truly factual, unbiased report...on ANYthing. :wall:
Having said that...I second the sentiment set forth by robc.
At this moment I have a very scary and deadly 6" B.smithi perched on my shirt front; while my incredibly "unpredictable" and "volatile" pitbull girl is grooming our small, helpless rattie girl, as she prepares for her first birthing. (she's probably just 'tasting' her, right?)
Pleeeeze.....

p.s...our "honorary" daughter (daughter's best friend) got a shiny new set of stitches yesterday in her upper lip. She was badly bitten by the neighbors SHIH ZHU. :wall: :wall:
She lives with PIT BULLS.

^
Betty Rumble - Rat Nanny. Kid Cuddler. 5 1/2 years old. Registered Canine Good Citizen and Bred Straight Game.

matthias
09-28-2008, 02:06 PM
While the story was a bit sensatialized, most of their facts were in the ball park (Yes a 10" smithi is VERY RARE)

But they do mention it was a dumb idea, that most T's don't bite, and are usualy not a danger to people.
It IS 2 years old "Last Updated: Tuesday, 4 April 2006, 12:26 GMT 13:26 UK"

BTW; I have an endangered male B smithi for sale. Only $800. Keep in mind, he could be up to 10 inches!! {D {D {D {D {D

Um, they are endangered in the wild. And they one of the only T's on th CITE's list. And I believe they were the only ones 2 years ago.

This is one of the bad things about google, nothing ever goes away. This article get's re-hashed here every few months. I think it's encouraging that there are so few newer articles that this one is still out there.

Rochelle
09-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Only slightly off topic..but worth repeating here.
If Britain is successful in this 'ban' on tarantula keeping....by reporting blatantly slanted, biased and inaccurate information....As our American news agencies report on Pit Bull Dogs....
Then what's next? Momentum from one ban leads to another. It's still lies and it's still deliberately slanted to gain a desired outcome.
IT IS NOT REAL NEWS. :wall:

APOLOGY TO BREED BAN ENTHUSIASTS: "I'm sorry you are frightened of my dogs and are trying to have them killed because they are pitbulls.
I'm sorry you lack the understanding of this breed's true history, gentleness with people, wonderful temperament, intelligence and behavioral conformation.
I'm sorry you won't read the ATTS stats regarding our breed's true temperament, in which they score over 83%, that痴 6% more than an average breed.
I知 sorry that you think its ok to assume an aggressive dog that resembles a pitbull, is a pitbull.
I知 sorry you wont take into account the different things that affect bite statistics, such as misidentification, unreported bites, and the population size.
I知 sorry you won稚 look at the statistics, which say pitbulls involved in serious attacks make up 0.01% of the population, which is the same in every breed.
I知 sorry that you won't look at the study done to see which breeds are more likely to bite, in which pitbulls come 4th... from bottom, the American cocker spaniel came first.
I'm sorry that you side with and protect animal abusers by marking the breed of dog and not the irresponsibility of the owner.
I'm sorry that by your logic I could steal a car, run some people over with it, and then you can blame the make of car for the accident as I walk free.
I知 sorry that for some reason you think that people who are attacked by "friendly breed" such as Retrievers and Poodles (yes they can attack people what a shocker), are somehow insignificant, to people attacked by "devil breeds"-the media agrees with you.
I'm sorry you generalize one breed of dog with one group of people.
I'm sorry you can't see the love and determination that many often highly educated, non-criminal, and "normal" types of people show towards this breed and the great personal sacrifices that they make to take care of their dog responsibly.
I知 sorry you assume all pitbull owners, such as Buster Brown, The Little Rascals, Theodore Roosevelt, Helen Keller, and Thomas Jefferson, are criminals and thugs.
I'm sorry you cannot go into the shelters and see the hundreds of abandoned and abused pitbulls, dying only for the inane "crime" of being born the breed they are.
I'm sorry you cannot see the look of disappointment in their eyes as someone walks by their kennel, and refuses to consider adopting them based on an ill-educated fear-mongering reporter.
I'm sorry that you cannot be there when the animal looks at a human for the last time, and in spite of being betrayed by all humans they have met, their tail still wags as someone approaches with the syringe of Euthinol.
I'm sorry you cannot be there when law enforcement shoots one of your dogs dead inside its own home in front of the children it mutually loves for simply getting off the dog bed and walking over to say hello with its tail wagging.
I'm sorry you cannot be there to rescue pitbull puppies from a plastic bag in a dumpster, dumped there by someone switching their illegal and inhumane activities to another, more lucrative breed.
I'm sorry you cannot understand the difference between canine and human aggression in the way that this breed can. Yes, I'm saying my pitbull is smarter than you.
I'm sorry that the medieval witch hunting genetics of intolerance, generalization, and racism make you feel the need to vilify a breed of dog.
I'm sorry that justice, equality, tolerance, common sense are all things you hold dear as a fellow person and expect from others, but do not yourself offer toward a pitbull or its caregiver.
I'm sorry that you don't take the constructive time to petition changes in the animal cruelty act and in the criminal code that would deal out serious punishment to the real animal abusers.
I'm sorry you cannot see the disappointed look on a puppy's face when the people petting it quickly frown and walk away when you tell them it is a pitbull.
I'm sorry you feel the need to terrorize my family and my dogs for crimes we never have and never will commit.
I'm sorry you don't have to live in fear of your dog's safety from hysterical and mentally unstable people trying to inflict all manner of evil upon your dogs.
I'm sorry that you cannot see my breed working in some of the best Search and Rescue groups in the world, saving countless lives each year.
I'm sorry our media censors and refuses to print the breed name "pitbull' when in connection with a positive act such as saving a person or child from a burning house, drowning, wild attacking animals, etc.
I'm sorry you cannot see the many pitbulls registered as therapy dogs and bringing so much joy to another misunderstood, neglected demographic in our society, the senior citizen.
I am sorry you can't see a pitbull kiss a child, step carefully over a kitten, or play in a sunbeam.
I'm sorry you cannot wake in the morning to feel a warm pitbull cuddled next to you in bed, and know that you are their total world, and even if the house caught fire and trapped you, they would stay with you to the end.
But, now that I really think about it, I'm not at all sorry you don't own a pitbull--you do not deserve one."
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/jbrdz/Picturemass005.jpg

Londoner
09-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Whoa...My government wants to ban tarantula keeping!? How the hell did I miss that news?

All I can say is they'll have to pry my Ts from my cold, dead hands! (the docile ones that is...they can pry my pokie from her enclosure :8o ).

Scolopendra777
09-28-2008, 03:30 PM
heheheheehehe !!!!!!!!!! LoL L.O.L ROFL stupid people {D {D {D {D {D {D {D

robc
09-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Only slightly off topic..but worth repeating here.
If Britain is successful in this 'ban' on tarantula keeping....by reporting blatantly slanted, biased and inaccurate information....As our American news agencies report on Pit Bull Dogs....
Then what's next? Momentum from one ban leads to another. It's still lies and it's still deliberately slanted to gain a desired outcome.
IT IS NOT REAL NEWS. :wall:

APOLOGY TO BREED BAN ENTHUSIASTS: "I'm sorry you are frightened of my dogs and are trying to have them killed because they are pitbulls.
I'm sorry you lack the understanding of this breed's true history, gentleness with people, wonderful temperament, intelligence and behavioral conformation.
I'm sorry you won't read the ATTS stats regarding our breed's true temperament, in which they score over 83%, that痴 6% more than an average breed.
I知 sorry that you think its ok to assume an aggressive dog that resembles a pitbull, is a pitbull.
I知 sorry you wont take into account the different things that affect bite statistics, such as misidentification, unreported bites, and the population size.
I知 sorry you won稚 look at the statistics, which say pitbulls involved in serious attacks make up 0.01% of the population, which is the same in every breed.
I知 sorry that you won't look at the study done to see which breeds are more likely to bite, in which pitbulls come 4th... from bottom, the American cocker spaniel came first.
I'm sorry that you side with and protect animal abusers by marking the breed of dog and not the irresponsibility of the owner.
I'm sorry that by your logic I could steal a car, run some people over with it, and then you can blame the make of car for the accident as I walk free.
I知 sorry that for some reason you think that people who are attacked by "friendly breed" such as Retrievers and Poodles (yes they can attack people what a shocker), are somehow insignificant, to people attacked by "devil breeds"-the media agrees with you.
I'm sorry you generalize one breed of dog with one group of people.
I'm sorry you can't see the love and determination that many often highly educated, non-criminal, and "normal" types of people show towards this breed and the great personal sacrifices that they make to take care of their dog responsibly.
I知 sorry you assume all pitbull owners, such as Buster Brown, The Little Rascals, Theodore Roosevelt, Helen Keller, and Thomas Jefferson, are criminals and thugs.
I'm sorry you cannot go into the shelters and see the hundreds of abandoned and abused pitbulls, dying only for the inane "crime" of being born the breed they are.
I'm sorry you cannot see the look of disappointment in their eyes as someone walks by their kennel, and refuses to consider adopting them based on an ill-educated fear-mongering reporter.
I'm sorry that you cannot be there when the animal looks at a human for the last time, and in spite of being betrayed by all humans they have met, their tail still wags as someone approaches with the syringe of Euthinol.
I'm sorry you cannot be there when law enforcement shoots one of your dogs dead inside its own home in front of the children it mutually loves for simply getting off the dog bed and walking over to say hello with its tail wagging.
I'm sorry you cannot be there to rescue pitbull puppies from a plastic bag in a dumpster, dumped there by someone switching their illegal and inhumane activities to another, more lucrative breed.
I'm sorry you cannot understand the difference between canine and human aggression in the way that this breed can. Yes, I'm saying my pitbull is smarter than you.
I'm sorry that the medieval witch hunting genetics of intolerance, generalization, and racism make you feel the need to vilify a breed of dog.
I'm sorry that justice, equality, tolerance, common sense are all things you hold dear as a fellow person and expect from others, but do not yourself offer toward a pitbull or its caregiver.
I'm sorry that you don't take the constructive time to petition changes in the animal cruelty act and in the criminal code that would deal out serious punishment to the real animal abusers.
I'm sorry you cannot see the disappointed look on a puppy's face when the people petting it quickly frown and walk away when you tell them it is a pitbull.
I'm sorry you feel the need to terrorize my family and my dogs for crimes we never have and never will commit.
I'm sorry you don't have to live in fear of your dog's safety from hysterical and mentally unstable people trying to inflict all manner of evil upon your dogs.
I'm sorry that you cannot see my breed working in some of the best Search and Rescue groups in the world, saving countless lives each year.
I'm sorry our media censors and refuses to print the breed name "pitbull' when in connection with a positive act such as saving a person or child from a burning house, drowning, wild attacking animals, etc.
I'm sorry you cannot see the many pitbulls registered as therapy dogs and bringing so much joy to another misunderstood, neglected demographic in our society, the senior citizen.
I am sorry you can't see a pitbull kiss a child, step carefully over a kitten, or play in a sunbeam.
I'm sorry you cannot wake in the morning to feel a warm pitbull cuddled next to you in bed, and know that you are their total world, and even if the house caught fire and trapped you, they would stay with you to the end.
But, now that I really think about it, I'm not at all sorry you don't own a pitbull--you do not deserve one."
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/jbrdz/Picturemass005.jpgDitto rochelle, there is no other dog I would trust around my kids than out 2 pitbulls.....they would give there life for my kids, one already put his life in danger to save him and he would do it again in a heartbeat......."I am the strong, I am the few, I am hated by many for no reason, I will give my life for my family, I AM A AMERICAN PITBULL TERRIER....Rob

Kris-wIth-a-K
09-28-2008, 07:09 PM
The wonders of the media. They are right but will elaborate on everything...

betuana
09-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Rochelle and Rob - you are so right. Pitbulls are some of the most awesome dogs!

I don't have any dogs, but I've worked at a shelter, and my favorites were always the pitties, with their big goofy grins and they "lets go play!" and "I love everyone!" attitudes. I was always so happy that our shelter didn't believe in discriminating against them just because of their breed - and we've managed to make our community as aware of it as well. The community would rise up in protest at the mere suggestion of a breed ban here.

Those bans only lead to problems - good dogs being separated from good owners. The bad people will do bad things ban or not.

And letting governments get away with banning one type of pet can easily lead to the landslide effect - whether they start with pit bulls or Tarantulas, they could move on to other breeds of dogs, breeds of cats, hamsters, rats, birds, etc.

Heck, there are places in the US already where owning gerbils or ferrets is illegal (CA, or at least parts of CA..), and certain parrots are illegal places. Usually its from fear that if 'lost' outside they could become invasive to the area. Still its not a big jump from there to just about anything.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be SOME regulation, I don't want to have neighbors who can just go out and by a tiger cub because money is burning a hole in their pocket and they think it would be 'cool.' But I don't think the solution is banning every type of 'exotic' pet from anyone owning it is a good solution either...

Education, responsibility, common sense....these are the things they should be working on instead of worrying about what should be banned and what should be allowed...

Love the picture of the pit bull playing with the bubbles by the way! {D

vbrooke
09-29-2008, 01:06 AM
I also must agree with Rochelle and Rob. I do not personally own a pitbull, but from my years working in a vet office I have an educated stance. I saw many pitbulls as well as many "docile" (ha ha) breeds come through. I can tell you honestly that there were more Chihuahua's that I wouldn't go near than any Pit. As most ppl know, dogs hate the vet and you usually see the worst of them in the office. In 8 years I never saw 1 Pit that wanted to do anything other than lick my face. I was actually very close to malled by a yellow lab. Imagine that, Man's best friend and the #1 rated pet dog.

I have had my own bad experience with restrictions on breeds. I had a 3 month old German Shepherd when the homeowners insurance company decided to make an unannounced visit. The agent took pictures of my dog and kids. A few weeks later, we were informed that we had to get rid of our dog because of her breed. There are 6 dogs in Cali that will not be covered by insurance...German Sheperds, Pitbulls, Rotties, Chows, Akitas, Dalmations, and any mix of any of these breeds. That is predjudice if you ask me. My dog will lick you to death before showing any aggression. If I remember correctly, most law enforcement agencies use German Shepherds as work dogs because they are easy to train and VERY obediant.

If they can do this to mans best friend, what is stopping them from doing the same with our 8 legged babies with venom? We have to ban together and stop this.