Largest Communal Project??

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, I have a VERY large (approx 6ft long X 2 1/2ft deep X 3ft tall) terrarium that I don't have a current use for. It's a home-made project that I acquired second hand, thinking it would be good for a large snake, but I don't trust the strength of the material for that....It's made of clear vinyl on all sides, and the top is completely made of screen.

So, I have a choice...I can either get rid of this thing, or try something REALLY different. I've seen others with communal pokie projects, communal avic projects, etc...but this is usually with just a handful of individuals....

Does anyone have an educated guess on how successful something like this would be, or would I be investing my money in tarantula warfare here? Which species is supposedly THE MOST successful in a communal setting? Avic avic?

Any help will be much appreciated.

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the only problem ive heard of if its to big then the spiders will get territorial and there would be more deaths than if there was a small tank
and ive heard sac mates do best

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have regalis in communal right now. If your going to do a communal they do better in smaller cages ( Got this all from ryan Talkenlate04) And make sure they are well fed. Provide hides.

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the only problem ive heard of if its to big then the spiders will get territorial and there would be more deaths than if there was a small tank
and ive heard sac mates do best
Perhaps in this case it would be better to over-crowd them then? I know this to be a useful tool when dealing with specific species of fish...it just seems this would be stressful (dare I even USE that word after looking through some other threads today? :eek:).

Has something like this been done? Is there any kind of "formula" to determine the best #/square foot of space?

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, it sounds as though my great big terrarium isn't useful for much of anything. :mad:

I appreciate the imput though, guys....I guess I just had this neat little picture in my mind....a dozen or so Avics living in perfect harmony inside a beautiful, well planted terrarium...they'd be swinging from vines and hollering like Tarzan...*sigh*

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you should ask talkenlate04 he'll know all about it
Ya see, I have this "thing". I'm fine in open forums, asking questions, talking, and such...but if I don't really know someone, initiating a conversation directly is like giving a speech naked....social anxiety disorder....its a strange thing.

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well how much are you going to be putting in the cage? maybe 200?

Last edited:

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well it might work if you have enough

but your talking a lot of avics:D

and if it goes south then that would be terrible:(

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well how much are you going to be putting in the cage? maybe 200?
GEEZ! That's a lot of Avics! I know it's a big terrarium, but that seems a bit excessive, doesn't it?

I guess I COULD try a whole sac....but it would be quite the pain trying to get that many slings up to a large enough size to go in...

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well if they have enough room to make their own territories they will fight over them thus having dead t's.

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
GEEZ! That's a lot of Avics! I know it's a big terrarium, but that seems a bit excessive, doesn't it?

I guess I COULD try a whole sac....but it would be quite the pain trying to get that many slings up to a large enough size to go in...
Thats a really big cage. Maybe you should try to get a 10 gal tank. But make sure its high.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
200 Avics in a tank!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

In a matter of weeks, your glass will be plain white!!!{D {D {D

I've heard of a multi species mega communal, working well to this day. Many species, like Avics with OBT. The guy is plain lucky!

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
200 Avics in a tank!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

In a matter of weeks, your glass will be plain white!!!{D {D {D

I've heard of a multi species mega communal, working well to this day. Many species, like Avics with OBT. The guy is plain lucky!

I actually tossed this idea around...something like GBBs and Avics (I wouldn't wanna watch out for THAT many OBTs!), but I figured I'd get laughed right out of here.:eek: I'll be happy if I can get ANY sort of T community going here.

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you have any reference to this info? I'd love to see/read up on this.

Fluke

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know that Rob is talking about doing a 100 p.regalis communal tank. I have a 9 Regalis communal going pretty well right now. The reoccuring help/advice I hear about these are to give them a small enclosure so they don't make territories and fight with one another. Also- make sure they are well fed. I am feeding the spiderlings twice a week- 1/4 cricket. Mine are about 1-1.25 inches.

Rob said that when they are adults they will be in a 9x3x2.5 or something like that. Right now, mine are in a 2qt jug. I will be moving them to a gallon jug when I feel like they are getting cramped. Then a 2.5 tank, 5gal, 10 gall ect ect. As you can see They will be going through many tank changes as they grow until they will get to their 38 gallon or so when they are adults.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have young breeding pairs of various pokies sp. I intend to do a multi specific communal with a few of eache sacs and remove the males at a certain point. Yes, there will be cannibalism but you had it among humans in harsh times, not expecting it in animals is a bit illogic. Ornata is out of the picture, proven many times to be mutualy aggressive (and with the most cases of sacmates cannibalism before the usual separation). My metallica and miranda are only males, so it will be rufilata/fasciata/regalis.